Trying to get funky.

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
I brought out my 24x14 in virgin kick-it's the lightest bass drum I've ever owned. This was a funky drumless track. I was worried about the size but because of shallow depth it takes less room than the Safari kick drum because really my width is ruled by my leg distance-either the 16 or 24 falls in same spot. Thought I'd share my fun noodle time-it was fun the music just carries you along.

Dang Andy I thought I lost that key LOL. Hiding in plain sight. DW saves a the day again and prevent another lost key. That would make a good name for a band "The lost keys". Well maybe not.

I haven't been happy with my snare since I put an Evans Genera on it. I tried a less is more version also with the kick. But you know I'm kick happy LOL. So I like extremes.

Last edited:
So I haven't played my brushes in a bit so I "dragged" them out and played to this same tune again. Yeah I have a funky way of playing brushes (I believe I've tried every permutation possible LOL)-I can play either hand leading the same funky way (I do circles too but for a fast song I like these sweeps and shaking it).

I like the brush playing along with the hi hat @GetAgrippa

It's useful for me to see your brush technique also, turning the drum into something more accessible for my ears. "Need more cowbell brushes"

Thanks Auspicious-brushes have been a long journey for me. I tried traditional grip both hands or one or the other too. It's easier to do things traditional with brushes for me like sweeps and circles, but I liked matched to play like sticks too. So I work on matched. I practice sweeping and sticking rudiments leading with both hands-what's weird is some songs I'll play taps with right hand and sweep left and other just opposite is more comfortable for that song?? Sometimes my hands don't know which to lead LOL so bounces around. I can do the Ed Thigpen circles and fast sweep like a rattlesnake tail with both but it works better when I circle-sweep my left hand and rattle tail my right. Which just seems the opposite of what I should see?

I think you are really progressing really well-very methodical. To a fault-so not a criticism at all-I think you're overall strategy is correct but you need to loosen up on the technicalities and find what works for you. Anthony/Tony on here really helped me to put down trying everything and just find what works for me with brushes-I was trying everything and splashing around like a duck. I haven't seen him post in awhile? Also I see you get frustrated with your speed-man I've been there thought about just quitting and throwing the damn things away so frustrated. But it's the journey just take joy in the baby steps-I'm still taking baby steps and push myself in speed department-i try songs way above my skill level but I have moments I'm doing it. I think the deal becomes making those moments more common than uncommon.

So I haven't played my brushes in a bit so I "dragged" them out and played to this same tune again. Yeah I have a funky way of playing brushes (I believe I've tried every permutation possible LOL)-I can play either hand leading the same funky way (I do circles too but for a fast song I like these sweeps and shaking it).
Whoever shot you in that t shirt had close grouping. Sniper scope?

Missed my heart by that much-in my best Max Smart voice. No it was a kill shot for sure-fortunately for me I have a heart of stone.
"But, she'll never break, never break
Never break, never break this heart of stone
Oh, no, no, this heart of stone" in me best Mick voice. ROFL I have the shirt on inside out I think but my fly is zipped up.

Last edited:
Thanks Auspicious-brushes have been a long journey for me. I tried traditional grip both hands or one or the other too. It's easier to do things traditional with brushes for me like sweeps and circles, but I liked matched to play like sticks too. So I work on matched. I practice sweeping and sticking rudiments leading with both hands-what's weird is some songs I'll play taps with right hand and sweep left and other just opposite is more comfortable for that song?? Sometimes my hands don't know which to lead LOL so bounces around. I can do the Ed Thigpen circles and fast sweep like a rattlesnake tail with both but it works better when I circle-sweep my left hand and rattle tail my right. Which just seems the opposite of what I should see? I think it's nice to have 2 strong hands then you can switch the lead.. I thought it was the whole point of practicing books like stick control.. to reach a point where both hands and strong enough and can lead. I see no problems in playing the brushes in matched grip.

I think you are really progressing really well-very methodical. There is a progression because I practice every day, just practicing against music without thinking seems like the way to go for me. To a fault-so not a criticism at all-I think you're overall strategy is correct but you need to loosen up on the technicalities and find what works for you. Anthony/Tony on here really helped me to put down trying everything and just find what works for me with brushes-I was trying everything and splashing around like a duck. ok I haven't seen him post in awhile? Also I see you get frustrated with your speed-man I've been there thought about just quitting and throwing the damn things away so frustrated. But it's the journey just take joy in the baby steps- I will remember that :)I'm still taking baby steps and push myself in speed department-i try songs way above my skill level but I have moments I'm doing it. I think the deal becomes making those moments more common than uncommon. Seems like the best approach, I am currently spotting faster tunes I would like to practice but often it's now what i want to do... I like to noodle around the kit on slower music, hitting all the parts of my cymbals and trying to use every element of my kit... (including the bottom of the hi hat which has an interesting "ding" sound) that's my main attraction currently and a reason why I often think about adding a cymbal to my kit.. I have some kind of success doing that.

But it's not uncommon for me to attack faster music.. more and more.. your baby steps advice.

Well another drumless track (trying to get jazzy) called Happy Jazz just audio this time. I struggle with jazz so these drumless tracks are great to work on things. My single mic Zoom but I had it too close to kit -my kit is too loud in mix (or I need to turn up the track LOL). This is like my second shot at the track (and trying to be creative snare comping which I really struggle)-parts of it have a great jazzy vibe and I liked some of my snare work for a change. It is a happy tune for sure so thought I'd share.

Last edited:
My only isue with the first video is it says unavailable, then the second one the snares ara too tight for my ear. Half turn looser on the strainer.

Back