This trend of adding objects onto playing surfaces...

I'm all about having a thing or two for a bit of spice, but good Lord!!

I'm always kinda surprised how many "get off my lawn"ers populate these types of threads. Haven't any of youse wanted a different sound and tried something out? I'm thankful there are trends like this, otherwise we'd still be playing tack head Chinese toms and snare drums sitting in chairs. If throwing a couple slices of grilled onion on my snare drum or an otter pelt on my hats gives me a sound I can use, I'm game. Semi-old guy here, btw.
Lol, there are so many good folks on here but there are a few who insist (again) that you hear their opinion on any thread mentioning unconventional kit set-ups, flat-mounted cymbals, hip hop drumming, hybrid-electronic kits, stacks, or any other technique, gear, or style that's come about in the last 40 years. And never ever never mention anything associated with millenials or gen-z'rs...seriously.

Everyone's got their thang. Look at all the strong opinions when there are discussions about what is in your bass drum.

It's fun to joke and say "Maybe I'm just old" But in reality, I don't think it is a generational thing. Nothing that is trendy now hasn't been done in the past. Drums are pretty simple.

However, looking at the OP photo example, I wonder where the player strikes the hats, it looks like there is a pile of yarn and jingle bells covering the whole surface, and unless that set up is in a studio situation, I don't think the bells' sound projects out front to the audience. Live, it is just a pile of mess on the hats. Is the goal to damp the hats? Then why not just a towel or a pile of yarn? What are the jingle bells adding?

There are ching rings and hi hat tambourines, but in my experience even those sounds don't make it to the house in a live setting.

I've mostly used a pretty regular set but I enjoy having a few doodads like a Ching Ring or Tamborim nearby. Before I bring a second rack tom, I'd rather take a bag of groceries with me and see what sticks (proud endorsee of Heinz ketchup and Vedaka cloves here).

That one was well bred... I loave it!

Olive me alone with your terrible puns please.. (I'll get baguette ya after some more experimentation but for now the snare ribs ham-per the sound too much and I can't find my guitar tuna to get it right.)

That's what we need to liven things up around here -- some Mad Libs threads.

I plucked my snare drum with a fishing rod, then scalloped my cymbals in a buttery petroleum sauce. Opening a can of frogs, I slid across my bass drum until my face was chaffed. Finally, after lounging in a tub of peppermint ice cream, I sat on a butcher knife and enjoyed a home-cooked meal with my only friend, a 16" floor tom.

ive been guilty of mounting a finger cymbal on top of my HH rod...but any weight that really effects the movement of the HH really turns me off.

I like to fart on the downbeats to add a li'l somethin' somethin', ya know?

Sounds like heaven. I have too much land to go all-out artificial. This summer, though, we'll be exploring some hardscape options to cut down on yardwork. I live in a cold climate with a long winter and a relatively short growing season, which is nice, but I do dread the mowing months. It's not my ideal way to spend an afternoon.
Or get a riding mower and have fun, I used to take about an hr and a half to do an acre with a push mower cut down to 20 min with the riding mower mostly because i kept repeating passes (I was having too much fun riding the damn thing) I bought it from a neighbor for $200..

Or get a riding mower and have fun, I used to take about an hr and a half to do an acre with a push mower cut down to 20 min with the riding mower mostly because i kept repeating passes (I was having too much fun riding the damn thing) I bought it from a neighbor for $200..

I've certainly thought about a riding mower and might get one down the line. For now, I don't mind pushing a mower around. There are things I'd rather be doing than yardwork, but if I have to do it, the exercise component is actually a positive.

Maybe that set of hats is just accessories storage. It has a rod to put loops and holes around, plus there is another set of naked (empty?) hats right there.

I wouldn't want my hi-hats to resemble a disarrayed table of castoff items at a garage sale. Come to think of it, I've never dressed my hats up in any fashion -- no tambourines, no bells, no beads, no salt-and-pepper shakers, nothing of the sort. That goes for all cymbals, in fact. I play them as they come. Why distort their natural beauty?

Couldn't have said it better myself. I didn't pay good $ for nice hats to put $12 worth of yard sale on top.......

That being said, for recording/studio creativity I can support it to an extent as some classic tunes have some odd sound sources we never would have guessed......

I think there seems to be a trend of lo-fi, staccato drum sounds to go with more ambient type music these crazy kids are into these days. I'm not a fan, but to each his/her own.

Back