Best heads for Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage

PacoRomero

Hi Guys, I am beginner to intermediate drummer, and have been playing the same kit for 10 years. Got standard SCA Indonesian made kit. 10',12,14,15,16 toms 2 x 22 kick.

I play mainly rock, pop and in a band. with some live gigging? CAN any one recommend best heads for these drums? Some recommended the Evans Black Chrome??Love lots of resonance and low tuning??

Any suggestions>>

if you don't really know precisely what you like, I suggest Remo Powerstroke 3 clear on bass batter, stock reso head, Remo Ambassador coated on toms and Ambassador clears on tom resos. If you want a litte less ring then Remo Emperor coated on tom batter, always use single ply heads for tom resos is my general advice but I've seen some people use 2 ply heads... not really sure what to say about that

Thanks so much.for excellent feedback. I really appreciate. Its such a big investment buying new drums.. Would be great to bring the old kit back to life with investment in new heads.

I used black suede emperors over ebony ambassadors on my old SCA and loved the combo. especially at lower tunings.

My Yamaha drums have clear G2s over G1s (except the low tom which has a clear G2 over the stock reso), and I like the sound very much.

The answer is Evans. Not sure why it took this many posts. Geez.

I play mainly rock, pop and in a band. with some live gigging? CAN any one recommend best heads for these drums? Some recommended the Evans Black Chrome??Love lots of resonance and low tuning??
Evans described Black Chrome head as "Evans Black Chrome drumheads are ideal for drummers who hit hard, play fast, and desire a punchy tone. Featuring a two-ply construction with a ply of 7mil optically clear film over a 7.5mil black film that shortens sustain and provides an accentuated mid-to-low frequency response..... "

So .... if you're in love of lots of "resonance" ..... I'm not sure these are your heads. Not to say they won't, or can't sound killer on that kit. But they're on the muffled side of drum heads. Over towards the Remo Pinstripe/Evans Hydraulic side.

I'd go either a 1 or 2 ply coated head batter. 1 ply clear head reso. On the bass drum, I use a Superkick I or II batter. Single ply head reso. On snare ..... my two batter heads of choice, either a Coated Ambassador, or an Evans Genera HD Dry.

Remo coated Emperors over clear Ambassadors would work really well on that kit. I use that combo on my Stage Custom Standard (same as SCA without the inner ply of Falkata) and they sound absolutely wonderful. Best they've ever sounded, in fact.

I recently acquired a "new" sealed in original boxes Yamaha Stage Custom kit circa 2000 and put Remo Pinstripes on all the toms and bass drum batter sides and left the clear Yamaha by Remo single ply heads on the reso side. I love how they sound.

I recently acquired a "new" sealed in original boxes Yamaha Stage Custom kit circa 2000 and put Remo Pinstripes on all the toms and bass drum batter sides and left the clear Yamaha by Remo single ply heads on the reso side. I love how they sound.
Nice! I use Pinstripes on my other Stage Custom kit. They're great with birch drums as any Recording Custom owner will tell you.

Do you have pictures of the new kit?

Nice! I use Pinstripes on my other Stage Custom kit. They're great with birch drums as any Recording Custom owner will tell you.

Do you have pictures of the new kit?

I don't yet. They are set up in a very crowded space at the moment. I just wanted to get it to where I want it in terms of tuning and possibly acquiring a couple more toms. Then the plan is to pack up my 1975 Slingerland Stage Band kit and put the Yamahas in their place. That will happen soon hopefully. I don't know if I'll ever be able to post pics though because I've had trouble loading pictures onto this site with messages saying the file is too large. But if I can I will post them. I had Evans Blue Hydraulics on the Slingerlands for something like the past 40 years and only late last year did I replace them with Pinstripes for a change of pace. I like the increased resonance I get from the Remos. The Evans had a duller thud. I'm sure some of that had to do with their very advanced age, but in general that's how those hydraulics sound. I'm very happy with the Pinstripes on both of my kits.

I prefer Aquarian heads so I'd put either Response 2's or Performance 2's on the toms. If I was going to use Remo it would be Vintage Emperors; those are fantastic heads.

Bass drum would get a Super Kick no matter what brand I used on the toms. I'm a "Super Kick for life" kind of a guy now.

i have a regular yamaha stage custom birch kit ,16x22 bd, toms 12x8 ,16x16 . ihave evans clear EC2's batters and clear g1's reso heads on bottom,they sound great warm,good attack,punchy. bd evans e mad batter evans reso front head with hole, drums sound great.

Personally I've always found thicker heads to do well with the Stage Customs. Aquarian Response 2's (same as an Emperor or G2) are great, or even the thicker Aquarian Force 10's sound awesome on them. That's what I have on my SC's at the moment.
Super Kick 2 on the kick batter and Regulator on the front.

Back