Roommate plays electric drums

asfedsy

Hi guys, to start with, I am not a drummer so I want to get some opinions from people who play drums. When my current roommate moved in, they did not have a drumset nor did they say that they'd get a drumset. I was under the impression that they were just going to play the guitar and sing sometimes. However, recently they got an electric drumset and have been practicing nonstop. They want to work out a set schedule to play the drums but the loud tapping noises make it hard for me to focus on work or relax at home and I would rather not have someone play the drums at all. Now I want to know if I am being unreasonable in wanting them to move away. My argument is that I did not sign up for this. I did not agree to have a drummer move in. Should I compromise or is my reason valid?

You think that's bad? I had a roomate who played air drums during my Junior and Senior years in college. Try dealing with that. The horror I tell you. The horror.

The noise is bothering you. So much so, that you posted on a drum forum for feedback.

If you are in a house, is there somewhere else in they can put the drums? Basement, garage etc? That, plus a mutually agreed upon timetable, may be a solution.

You have four realistic options:

I. Adopt a more tolerant mindset and work with your roommate to devise a practice schedule you can both live with.

II. Demand that your roommate stop drumming.

III. Ask your roommate to move out.

IV. Move out yourself.

Living with someone always involves a certain degree of give and take. I suggest that you pursue the first solution. Is it possible, however, that you have other complaints about your roommate but are zeroing in on drumming as the final straw? If so, you need to have an honest sit-down with yourself before proceeding.

Let me get this straight for the avoidance of doubt...you want to kick our drumming brother out of his home and want to know if your position is valid? :unsure:
my point is that I did not agree to have a musician move in. If I had known that they were going to buy a drumset then I'd simply take the L. They mentioned nothing about being noise when moving in

You have four realistic options:

I. Adopt a more tolerant mindset and work with your roommate to devise a practice schedule you can both live with.

II. Demand that your roommate stop drumming.

III. Ask your roommate to move out.

IV. Move out yourself.

Living with someone always involves a certain degree of give and take. I suggest that you pursue the first solution. Is it possible, however, that you have other complaints about your roommate but are zeroing in on drumming as the final straw? If so, you need to have an honest sit-down with yourself before proceeding.
I guess the constant singing, guitar playing and drumming adding up together has me reaching my breaking point. I see what you are saying. What is a reasonable amount of practice time per day if you were to suggest one?

my point is that I did not agree to have a musician move in. If I had known that they were going to buy a drumset then I'd simply take the L. They mentioned nothing about being noise when moving in
Apologies, I was just being facetious; I’m not sure a drum forum is the appropriate place for your predicament...our resident gentleman @C.M. Jones has provided a well reasoned and articulate response for you that I hope you find useful... (y) :)

The noise is bothering you. So much so, that you posted on a drum forum for feedback.

If you are in a house, is there somewhere else in they can put the drums? Basement, garage etc? That, plus a mutually agreed upon timetable, may be a solution.
The house is pretty small and sound travels quite easily. There is no other place to keep the drums unfortunately

What? You didn't agree to have a musician move in? In your first post you say that "I was under the impression that they were just going to play the guitar and sing sometimes." It sure sounds like you agreed to having a musician move in. Maybe not a drummer. But definitely a musician.

What? You didn't agree to have a musician move in? In your first post you say that "I was under the impression that they were just going to play the guitar and sing sometimes." It sure sounds like you agreed to having a musician move in. Maybe not a drummer. But definitely a musician.
oh true true. I'm not saying that guitar players aren't musicians haha. I guess to me the emphasis was on "sometimes". I play the piano myself sometimes but I don't consider myself a musician because I don't practice often.

I guess the constant singing, guitar playing and drumming adding up together has me reaching my breaking point. I see what you are saying. What is a reasonable amount of practice time per day if you were to suggest one?

That's not really for me to determine. How much practice are you willing to tolerate, and to what extent is your roommate amenable to compromise? Obviously, you're beset by a list of grievances, and drumming is only one of them. Please be assured that I don't intend to sound derisive in the recommendation that follows: You'll be much better off addressing this matter with your roommate over a beer than you are submitting these troubles to a forum. If you're sharing residential space with someone, you should trust that person enough to engage in honest discourse. If trust is absent and you don't wish to foster it, living alone will be more to your liking.

Last edited:
For me, daily practice is best and an hour a day seems like a reasonable minimum. I always practice between 4pm and 8pm so that my house mates and neighbours know I won't be practicing outside of this time window.

For me, daily practice is best and an hour a day seems like a reasonable minimum. I always practice between 4pm and 8pm so that my house mates and neighbours know I won't be practicing outside of this time window.

Same here. When I moved into my house, I went around to all the neighbor's houses and explained that I play drums and my band will rehearse here, but you'll never hear me past 8PM on a weeknight and 10PM on a weekend (Friday and Saturday evenings). I've never had a problem with noise complaints and my neighbors are all good sports about it.

Could be worse. Your roommate could be a junkie, a drunk, a thief, not bathe, be destructive, be a Ducks fan, there are so many other things worse than being a musician you could have to deal with.

Do you really want to tell someone that you have had enough of their perfectly harmless activities?

Learn to play the bass then jam together. It wont bother you so much then. And be happy it's an e-kit and not acoustic. You think the tapping is loud...

Back