Most beautiful drum tracks??

Yamaha Rider

Platinum Member
Beauty is not something we always associate with the hairy-arsed world of drumming - but it can be beautiful, as this recording proves, in my opinion at least.
Any thoughts on the recording quality of this track and the drumming itself? (I believe it to be Marvin himself on drums) I'm in no way qualified to analyze jazz drumming.
Am I showing my naivety in thinking it's spectacularly lovely - and that intro in particular??
And - got a 'most beautiful' of your own to share?

^ Indeed that is nice!

I've been into sublety lately. This was always one of my favorite Pat Metheny songs. The drums are minimal, way in the back, but support the song so subtlely, simply and beautifully. Wonderful playing.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think "Kind of Blue" fits in this category, and honestly, most of the drumming on Time Out by Brubeck

but I think beauty is subjective because I also think there is a lot of beautiful drumming on the Fates Warnings Inside Out, and RHCP Blood Sugar Sex Magic...

I believe it to be Marvin himself on drums
TIL!
I had no idea Marvin played drums on any of his own stuff, once he started finally scoring hits, and always thought it was a shame, if an understandable one (when you've got the likes of Pistol Allen, Uriel Jones and Leon "Ndugu" Chancler, why wouldn't you have them play?).

By "beautiful" I hope you mean to include the recording & production of the sounds as well as the playing.

In the jazz realm: The First Circle, Paul Wertico on drums

By "beautiful" I hope you mean to include the recording & production of the sounds as well as the playing.

In the jazz realm: The First Circle, Paul Wertico on drums

I certainly do include the recording and production - they sound very special indeed on Trouble Man - be interested to learn what gives that incredible clarity, resonace and sense of space. (knowing nothing about recording, mics and sound engineering)

It's so hard to say a favorite anything. But this afternoon I was on a quest to listen to every recording of All Blues that Spotify had to offer, and this performance really stood out, amongst a plethora of great performances.

TIL!
I had no idea Marvin played drums on any of his own stuff, once he started finally scoring hits, and always thought it was a shame, if an understandable one (when you've got the likes of Pistol Allen, Uriel Jones and Leon "Ndugu" Chancler, why wouldn't you have them play?).
I’ve always always loved Omar Hakim on Dire Straits’ “Brothers in Arms”, Stewart Copeland on “Wrapped Around Your Finger”, and Paul Wheeler on Icehouse’s “Man of Colours”...absolutely perfect parts... :unsure:
"Wrapped around your finger" - yep, gorgeous. ?
Brought to mind Sting's Seven Days too. (Vinny C.)

Back