Most stable 2 leg hi hat machine

Hey Larry,

I've tried almost everything out there, from the custom to the big manufacturers and the Tama hi hats are at the top of the list. Their hardware is very well thought out, stable and adjustable. Even the plating on the hardware is top notch.

You can play 8th's on this with your left foot all night and this baby's going nowhere.

I also play two bass drums and know the problem from before. I have made the best experiences with legless hihat stands.
But maybe a remote hihat with a short cable is an option?

How are you liking having the second kick?

Oh it just shows me more that I don't know. I don't play it everytime I sit down. But when I do, it's getting less retarded. That's about the best I can say. I'm obsessed with jazz ride cymbals and jazz playing for some crazy reason. So the double kick thing gets the back burner. But yea I really dig it it for the coordination aspect when I'm in the mood.

Hey Larry,

I've tried almost everything out there, from the custom to the big manufacturers and the Tama hi hats are at the top of the list. Their hardware is very well thought out, stable and adjustable. Even the plating on the hardware is top notch.

You can play 8th's on this with your left foot all night and this baby's going nowhere.

I'm still undecided between the 2 leg or the no leg. But if I do do 2 leg I will probably ride on the coat tails of your experience and get what you recommend because you already suffered through the process. Thanks Jeff. I'm not a fan of the way Tama pedals feel, but everything else they make is just fine by me.

I also play two bass drums and know the problem from before. I have made the best experiences with legless hihat stands.
But maybe a remote hihat with a short cable is an option?

I'd like to sidestep the cable. I'm all about as simple as I can make it. I'm leaning toward legless, but still undecided. Thanks man.

Apparently the 5000 isn't considered "high-end" because I made mine legless by simply removing two screws.

I assume you are using a clamp?

I want to ask all you fine people out there...your personal opinion...2 leg or no leg w/ a clamp like above? Reasons are also requested.

Feel free to wander around onto my lawn lol.

And Bo as usual states the obvious :p

Last edited:
Seriously considering this. No legs...has to work, how could it not? And with the clamp? It can't move. No movement, no wobble, guaranteed? Yea that's the ticket, sign me up for that. My tripod hi hat always moves, sometimes distractingly and it was something I thought I just had to deal with..

No legs sounds ideal in every way and bonus, my rolling hardware bag is lighter to lift into my truck, and up steps, bam.

Those tripod HH legs are where a lot of the HH weight...and bulk...is.

I'm decided. How I'll go about it exactly is not.

You guys are great. I was envisioning a 2 leg stand. No legs is even more compelling. I like this idea much better.

I was mainly considering this for the double bass drum kit at home, which is where I'll experiment, but I'm pretty sure if things go like they should, I would want it at a gig too, both for the weight savings and especially the non wobble and non movement. That's very attractive to me right there.

Plus the more open floor space at the hi hat is wonderful. I like right handed bass players on my hi hat side so I can see the rhythm hand, as I'm a righty. A lot of time with these matchbox stages the bass player's waist barely clears my 18" crash I have on the hi hat side.

As long as the pedal folds up and is not fixed, I can't see any downsides.

I do put a spare stick for my left side inside one of the double braced HH tripod legs, so I'll have to rethink that. No sweat. My back pocket is fine.

This is all assuming I play out again at some point ha ha.

Last edited:
My simple but effective no-leg hi-hat stand solution (only works with a rack of course).

Attachments

• thumbnail_20200222_124127 - Copy.jpg
    thumbnail_20200222_124127 - Copy.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 8
I second the Tama Iron Cobra stand. It’s as stable as any three legged I’ve played and folds up for packing much easier than other brands. No drum key needed to set it up or tear it down.

Reactions: iCe
My DW 9000 extended foot board is Not that stable.

But my Tama DynaSync hi hat stand is super stable especially for a heavy footed dude like me (I literally have a stress fracture in my left foot from stomping my left foot on my hi hat pedal )

I use a Tama 2-legged Iron Cobra stand. On it's own it's pretty stable (not so much as a 3 legged, but that's inherent to a dual legged one), but I've mounted it on my 2nd bass drum with the Pearl HH-to-BD-adapter and it's really stable that way. The only downside is that i can't directly mount it next to the bass pedal because the folded legs will touch the bassdrum hoop, but then again i noticed i like it closer to me so it's not exactly lined up to the bass pedal.

Hey Larry,

I have this exact pedal and I have nothing but trouble with it rocking. I am looking to replace it because of the lack of stability. To each their own... I also own a DW 9000 and that thing is stable. So, I'm not sure what the problem is with my Tama.

Back