Canopus or DW

Canopus certainly has a strong reputation in the jazz world, it's not a mistake that you can find Canopus house kits in many well known jazz clubs.
Besides Carl Allen or Colin Bailey, I can't think of any other well known DW jazzers. Peter Erskine left and not many recall Tony's last few years with them. And if you want a Gretsch imitation, just get a Gretsch. Besides, if someone is buying bop sizes then it's already a specific market at that point and I wouldn't touch a DW bop.

If you wanted to get rid of the RIMS mount on the Yaiba, would Tama Starclassic die-cast hoops/mount work on the Canopus Yaiba without any trouble?

Here it is in the dark red sparkle I want in case you want to sell it. LOL It comes in 18X14 bass drum.

You could be like this lucky young fella and watch you open your new kit. Oh wow what a coincidence it's in Dark red sparkle lacquer. LOL

Last edited:
*This* and I must agree with others supporting Canopus. They sound incredibly nice for jazz, including Yaiba.

Here's Bill Stewart playing Yaiba and it sounds just like his Gretsch:

At a cost of $1,600 new, you’re not going to lose your shirt on either if you sell. What’s a realistic difference in potential loss when selling the DW or Canopus? A couple hundred dollars?

Buy the one that inspires you to play.

At a cost of $1,600 new, you’re not going to lose your shirt on either if you sell. What’s a realistic difference in potential loss when selling the DW or Canopus? A couple hundred dollars?

Buy the one that inspires you to play.

*This* and I must agree with others supporting Canopus. They sound incredibly nice for jazz, including Yaiba.

Here's Bill Stewart playing Yaiba and it sounds just like his Gretsch:

Ah, so filthy! Bill is too good, he has his 'sound' even while playing a Yamaha RC but he sounding rather nice here on the Yaibas.

If you wanted to get rid of the RIMS mount on the Yaiba, would Tama Starclassic die-cast hoops/mount work on the Canopus Yaiba without any trouble?

This has actually crossed my mind but I have issues with the Starcast system as well (as much as I don't like RIMS). Sort why I ignored Canopus for so long but I eventually buckled :LOL:

Ah, so filthy! Bill is too good, he has his 'sound' even while playing a Yamaha RC but he sounding rather nice here on the Yaibas.

This has actually crossed my mind but I have issues with the Starcast system as well (as much as I don't like RIMS). Sort why I ignored Canopus for so long but I eventually buckled :LOL:
What Canopus kit do you have?

I’ll add that I have a DW Performance set that I love for rock, but it does not sing at higher tunings. For a bop set, I’d choose the canopus. The layman in the audience won’t know what they are, but us drummers will give you the nod from the back of the room!

I think the Canopus would be better because it has the more authentic jazz sound. Clean and clear articulation.

The DW's sound is not as good for jazz IMHO (I'm splitting hairs here though). They'll still sound great with the right heads, but DWs have a slightly less clear/clean tone...which makes them better for rock.

My vote goes to the Canopus, however I think the DW Performance would be easier to sell due to name recognition. (if you're selling it locally) But if you're selling on Reverb, you should have no trouble selling a Canopus kit.

There is always Pearl Roadshow and PDP Concept Maple Bop and save a bundle. With the money you save you can buy a Yaiba kit. LOL.

Well the forum has spoken. Now we all wait with baited anticipation for his decision and future video of Rattlin's choice. We trust you chose wisely-it's like Indy in the Last Crusade. He chose wisely the fella before him not so much.

Still looking at options. I have been playing DW FF (20x12 kick) and really like the sound of all the drums. The toms are really musical and articulate. So my own personal experience with DW is their drums do sound quite good with jazz. I did own a Canopus kit earlier (I think it was ash) with a small kick. Sizes: 9x13 tom, 15x16 Floor, 10x18 kick. After a while I did not get along with the kit and eventually sold it at quite a loss. It was hard to sell. Could have been because of odd size kick and it was ash not maple or birch. But I have heard Yaiba kits in person and quite liked what the toms sounded like - they sounded different than the ash. And an 18x14 kick is a much different drum than an 18x10. So either kit will suit me musically.

I want to buy a made in USA or made in Japan. For this kit no Taiwan or China. There are a few Sakae Trilogy on sale deep discounts. I love those drums with thin shells and re-rings if I could find a small kick I'd be ordering it immediately. My upper limit for this kit is $1,700. The Sakae's can be had right now for $1,500 but with larger kick, which defeats need for ease of portability. I'm not in a rush I may order something today this weekend next week whenever it feels right.

Just get a Stage Custom...
Sorry, wrong thread. I like the Canopus more but I have zero experience with either one, so that's worth nothing. :)

As many kits as I turn over, resale is important to me. Heck I may buy a kit now and resell it in August. I'm on a quest that can never be finished lol. Hence my solicitation of comments inputs and advice.
If you want to break the circle of buying and selling, just carve your social security and credit card number into the shells, glue irreplaceable memories like child drawings or those compromising photos you had taken to finance college into the shells. That way, you have to stick with them. Make sure to use coated heads top AND bottom!

LMAO !!!!!!

If you want to break the circle of buying and selling, just carve your social security and credit card number into the shells, glue irreplaceable memories like child drawings or those compromising photos you had taken to finance college into the shells. That way, you have to stick with them. Make sure to use coated heads top AND bottom!

Back