Ludwig discontinues Bronze Supraphonics?

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Tony mentioned this on a video from DrumcenterNH. No idea why they are doing this.
Great drum and glad I got mine last year when I did.

Last edited:
Yep. I have to wonder if it might have something to do with a plating/lacquering issue on some of the newer ones. I have two modern 5x14's, one smooth, one hammered. You can see a sort of ghosting issue around one of the Imperial lugs on the smooth shell, and I notice a similar issue around the rubber tube lug gaskets on the hammered. Very subtle in person, but it's there. I suspect it's a reaction to the rubber gaskets. It reminds me of the reaction my Sonor SQ1 Cruiser Blue finish had because of the rubber gaskets on the mounts.

If there was/is a bunch of them being sent back under warranty because of this (pure speculation on my part), it might make sense to pull the plug. OR, apply black nickel to the remaining stock and sell them as Bronze Beautys. Just a thought.

20210118_113029.jpg

The best sounding snare drum I ever played was a bronze Supraphonic. It would be a shame if they discontinued them. I wonder if they're getting lost in the shuffle with all of the new metal snares they've been rolling out lately.

Yep. I have to wonder if it might have something to do with a plating/lacquering issue on some of the newer ones. I have two modern 5x14's, one smooth, one hammered. You can see a sort of ghosting issue around one of the Imperial lugs on the smooth shell, and I notice a similar issue around the rubber tube lug gaskets on the hammered. Very subtle in person, but it's there. I suspect it's a reaction to the rubber gaskets. It reminds me of the reaction my Sonor SQ1 Cruiser Blue finish had because of the rubber gaskets on the mounts.

If there was/is a bunch of them being sent back under warranty because of this (pure speculation on my part), it might make sense to pull the plug. OR, apply black nickel to the remaining stock and sell them as Bronze Beautys. Just a thought.

View attachment 100092
You might be onto something with regard to the Bronze Beauty. They recently reintroduced those as limited run...maybe a way to use the bronze shell stock.

View attachment 100092
It sounds like you're right. Who would've thought rubber gaskets could be so corrosive?

Maybe it's some sort of off-gassing from the rubber?

I have one (LB552) with no rubber gaskets beneath the lugs, and it is a great drum. It has developed a patina beneath the top hoop, but I don't really care. Too bad they are discontinuing it, but life goes on. It will probably come back at a later date, I imagine.

So THAT'S what it is! I have a 14x6.5 Hammered Bronze Supra w/ Imp lugs and there is a dark outline on the shell around the rubber gaskets. I pulled a lug and gasket off and tried to polish it off with NevrDull, but no dice. It is still one of my favorites despite the blemishes.

Reactions: TJK
It will probably come back at a later date, I imagine.
Of that I have no doubt.

Maybe I should snag one and hold onto it for when I can sell as "rare" and "no longer made"

Not a bad thought. One never knows what value this might have in 10 years.
In the meantime, you'll have a great snare to bring pleasure to your ears. ?

I still can't believe it. The bronze shell snare was a part of their line up for 40 years straight. Even the Black Beauty hasn't been in constant production that long...

Do the Bronze supras have good body? I haven’t seen one in person in 30 years. In the videos I’ve watched they sound kinda crunchy, without the same body that I hear with the other shells in the supra lineup.

Do the Bronze supras have good body? I haven’t seen one in person in 30 years. In the videos I’ve watched they sound kinda crunchy, without the same body that I hear with the other shells in the supra lineup.

I'd say, if tuned to your liking, they most surely will. I used it on some of the heavier tunes on my last record, and it really hit the spot for me.

Dang I just ordered a new 6.5” x 14” HH Bronze Supra. It has imperial lugs and rubber gaskets. Should I just remove the gaskets if the ghosting hasn’t begun yet?

Just got it in from Memphis Drum shop. It was shipped from the factory in Sept. 2019 and still new in the box. Has the smaller badge. No sign of the black shadowing around the rubber lug gaskets.
Anyhow tuned up with the factory heads and snares (The old Ludwig Weathermaster heads, not the newer Ludwig badged Remos) it sounds spot on wonderful! It’s not overpowering my Gretsch USA Bop kit and it’s got a nice warm ring and resonance tuned up medium-ish.
Ok the fun is on hold for now while I remove the gaskets!

Anyhow tuned up with the factory heads and snares (The old Ludwig Weathermaster heads, not the newer Ludwig badged Remos)
Ludwig still makes their snare heads, I assume to keep the snares as original as possible. Also their timpani and concert bass drum heads.

Back