Any Love??

Vipercussionist

Silver Member
So, I just heard the newest from AC/DC. "Realize" Loved it!!
Anyone got some LOVE for Phil Rudd's playing over his AC/DC career??
Saw him playing the acrylic smoked Sonor kit back in 1979, (Powerage tour)
on the midway at Rocky Point Park in Warwick Rhode Island.
Yes, it was still Bon Scott sing then. Hella awesome show!!
We've all aged quite a bit since then. *sigh*

Mr. Rudd has always been one of my favorites. Few players cultivate such distinctive backbeats beneath his guise of causal simplicity. Though I don't rank drummers in order, I'm quite comfortable claiming that he's among the pantheon of all-time greats in the broad genre of rock. AC/DC wouldn't have been itself without him.

Exactly this.
Not that he's a terrible drummer or anything but that feel and groove isn't quite there with Chris Slade (or anyone else for that matter).
Sorry, I disagree. Although a very different feel and groove, I think Slade did a GREAT job when Rudd wasn't available.
Although I don't think I've heard him on any LIVE cuts. That might just change everything.

Sorry, I disagree. Although a very different feel and groove, I think Slade did a GREAT job when Rudd wasn't available.
Although I don't think I've heard him on any LIVE cuts. That might just change everything.
Slade played Donnington and slayed it. Pun intended. His hat work on Let There Be Rock blew me away. It’s an excellent Blu-ray, very well mixed.

So, I just heard the newest from AC/DC. "Realize" Loved it!!
Anyone got some LOVE for Phil Rudd's playing over his AC/DC career??
Saw him playing the acrylic smoked Sonor kit back in 1979, (Powerage tour)
on the midway at Rocky Point Park in Warwick Rhode Island.
Yes, it was still Bon Scott sing then. Hella awesome show!!
We've all aged quite a bit since then. *sigh*
AC⚡DC is my favorite band of all. So I might biased but I agree Phil was as solid and the absolutely best fitting drummer for the gritty combo with amazing stage presence and energy. Misogynistic? You be the judge:
(@Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX you probably won’t enjoy because it’s basically a hard blues rock band), but for the remaining 99% this album is one that I can simply never grow tired of ( apology for the dangling particle).

AC⚡DC is my favorite band of all. So I might biased but I agree Phil was as solid and the absolutely best fitting drummer for the gritty combo with amazing stage presence and energy. Misogynistic? You be the judge:
(@Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX you probably won’t enjoy because it’s basically a hard blues rock band), but for the remaining 99% this album is one that I can simply never grow tired of ( apology for the dangling particle).

oh no...I LOVE AC/DC...they were a huge part of my growing up and musical upbringing....I just don't consider them blues....like Muddy Waters or SRV is....they are blues influenced, but the yare hard rock to me.

Didn't say he didn't do a great job- just that the FEEL wasn't the same (Thunderstruck is one of my faves in fact).

He (along with Joey Kramer & Frank Beard) are the kings of the money beat. They know how to lock in, make it work & not try & dazzle people with BS.

Phil Rudd was one of the first drummers I covered in my youth; the band I was in played “Rock n Roll Damnation’...did I overplay? Of course I did, I was an 18 year old kid, and there’s only one Phil Rudd! :D Were I to play that tune today, it would be much more in keeping with Phil’s original drum part, which in my old age I now understand to be absolutely perfect for the tune...:unsure:(y)

Phil Rudd was one of the first drummers I covered in my youth; the band I was in played “Rock n Roll Damnation’...did I overplay? Of course I did, I was an 18 year old kid, and there’s only one Phil Rudd! :D Were I to play that tune today, it would be much more in keeping with Phil’s original drum part, which in my old age I now understand to be absolutely perfect for the tune...:unsure:(y)
Rock n Roll Damnation is a fabulous tune, probably in my top 50 all time. I totally get your take on this tune, I think it is best done as originally well played

Huge Phil Rudd fan. If you’re a rock/pop drummer whose job is to get the crowd up and moving, he is required listening IMO. The band I’m in covers Jailbreak. Great tune, fills the floor every time. I think I play it fairly well, but not like Phil. Maybe I need a lit cigarette in my mouth to do it justice!

Back