Paiste Giant Beat edge dents

Dditto

Hello! I just received a pair of Paiste Giant Beat multis and I have played them for around 2 hours and they have already formed small dents around the edges. What the heck?!?! My technique is more than adequate and I’ve never, ever had this problem on any cymbal. Is this normal for these? I can’t believe this has happened, so I’m inclined to send them back. Anyone else have this experience? I tried to capture using my phone but it’s small.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    910.7 KB · Views: 125
It’s not normal unless technique is bad, or you’re using metal sticks. Perhaps you didn’t notice them at first?

Glad I found this post ... the exact thing has happened to me. Former Sabian devotee for 30 plus years and switched to Paiste 2002’s as well a recent second set purchase of PST7’s. My first purchase was actually a set of Giant Beats that I immediately dented. No here’s the thing, I don’t play especially hard and use 5A’s. This “edge denting” present on the edges a quarter inch from the edge. This never happened with ANY Sabian AA, AAX, HHX cymbal I ever played. The cymbals are mounted correctly and not tight whatsoever. This is very disappointing. Do all of there lines do this ? I have PST7 18, 19 crashes. Dented. 20” Light Ride. Slightly dented in a few spots. 2002’s 18 medium 20 and 22 crashes - all new when I bought. All Dented I’ve been playing for 45 years and this is nuts.

Never had a Paiste do that. Currently use a set of light pst7 hats on an xhat and no issues. I use 5B wood tip.

I (as a hard hitter) have been playing 2002 thin crashes for years - nothing. Lately bought some used and quite old 2002 heavy hihats - same, totally flat. Same with my Twenty 22" ride.

Do all of there lines do this ? I have PST7 18, 19 crashes. Dented. 20” Light Ride. Slightly dented in a few spots. 2002’s 18 medium 20 and 22 crashes - all new when I bought. All Dented I’ve been playing for 45 years and this is nuts.

Not here. I have many Paiste 2002s, and they are as durable and pristine as cymbals can be. I do think I have a pretty gentle approach to crashing, in that I always glance the cymbal without crashing through it, which to me, is the best sound for a crash, anyway. Not sure why you guys are having this trouble. Definitely sucks though.

In my limited experience with Paiste, I've found that Giant Beats are prone to edge dents and chips, and the Signature line is prone to cracking. I don't think I've ever seen a non-new Giant Beat that didn't have edge dents.

This would be a deal breaker for me. I love their hats, but I wouldn’t deal with their rides & crashes doing this considering the cost of them.

I don't recall seeing them on my multis and I've had them for about 5 years now. My used 24" GB came to me with a little dent in the bell but I never noticed anything wrong with the sound. I personally wouldn't worry about the little dents as long as the cymbals keep sounding good.

I don't see anything on the pictured cymbal either.
Between my son and I, we have a complete set of 2002'a, 602ME's, a 602 Flat Ride, a Power Slave, and I picked up one of those 26" GB's a few years back. No issues with any of them. Regal Tip (usually 5A) is my stick of choice, but I've tried many, many different brands, sizes, and materials since RT has become scarce.
Because of the size of the 26" GB, I feel like it's a little harder to protect than my other cymbals depending on what I want to use. I've still had zero issues with dents around the edges.

Bringing this thread back to life because I just cracked a Paiste Giant Beat Thin Crash. I’m trading in or selling my other Paistes before they crack or chip too.

Do not buy these cymbals. They WILL dent. I'm sadly disappointed with Paiste. I'm stuck with 1300 dollars worth of garbage. Im a 52 year old drummer playing in an alternative country band using 5as. Don't start with the technique speech. We all hit the edges of crashes. Do yourself a favor and stay with the Zildjians or anybody else. Keep in mind that Palate uses the direct Bonham endorsement. These really are trash. Sorry.

I've had my Giant Beats for almost 10 years and I've never had a problem.

Also, they're guaranteed against defects in material or workmanship for 2 (two) years from the original date of purchase.

Back