Non-messy lube for stubborn tripod stands

AxisDrummer

Any recommendations for the exterior of cymbal stands/drum throne (the posts/tubes?). Just got a new Pork Pie Drum Throne that really takes lot of muscle to collapse the tripod legs of the throne.

Thanks in advance!

I'd begin by trying a spray-on dry lubricant like graphite or MolyD. I think they might have teflon dry lubes available now. Grease and wet lubes tend to pick up dust and create schmoo over time.

I used Vaseline one time and it worked great.

I haven’t tried it on drum gear but use it on window frames/sills. Paraffin wax. Use as little as possible to help sliding.

Wax isn’t for lubricating parts that move a lot or for high pressure protection.

+1 on the wax. You shouldn't need a lubricant in that application.

Any recommendations for the exterior of cymbal stands/drum throne (the posts/tubes?). Just got a new Pork Pie Drum Throne that really takes lot of muscle to collapse the tripod legs of the throne.

Thanks in advance!

Since it's new, check the pivots as sometimes they rivet them pretty tight. Lubing there and working it a bit may help.
Also, check the bushing that tightens/clamps the tube as they sometimes bind when new. It should open enough that the tube will slide without lubrication. You may have to do a bit of gentle coaxing with a cloth covered screwdriver.

Just got a new Pork Pie Drum Throne that really takes lot of muscle to collapse the tripod legs of the throne.
I use Ballistol. Water soluble lubricant used by the German Army in both world wars.

Thanks all for the suggestions. Just a quick bit of wax one time may do the trick.

As KamaK said...I don’t want to create “schmoo.” My new favorite word.

Back