What's YOUR single best investment in drum gear?

yammyfan

A comment I made in another thread got me thinking: what's your single best investment in gear?

For me, it was a Tune-Bot. I'm not even gonna start on why I think every drummer should own one. Sometimes I feel like an automobile proponent back in the days of the horse and buggy but that's my issue to deal with. ?

What's your essential piece of gear? A comfy throne? A great snare? Let us know! You might turn us on to something that revolutionizes our sound or adds to our joy of playing.

Last edited:
Sabian O-Zone crash. I have a 16" and 12". The trashy sound is so lush and pure in tone. I use them alone or combined with other various cymbals in a stack. They quickly became a key component of "my sound".
I'm with you on the Tune-Bot. I like the drum/kit save feature.

driver 006.jpg

Last edited:
Lessons. Best investment, though not gear,.
And time coupled with obsession.

Gear wise, I dunno. When I was gigging I probably woulda said rack. Now I think I'm gonna say Trick driveshaft. It really is a fantastic piece of gear.

In 10 more years it will probably be arthritis medication.

Sabian O-Zone crash. I have a 16" and 12". The trashy sound is so lush and pure in tone. I use them alone or combined with other various cymbals in a stack. They quickly became a key component of "my sound".
I'm with you on the Tune-Bot. I like the drum/kit save feature.
I like those O-Zone crashes too. I like effects cymbals in general. I can see why you'd make that choice.
Lessons. Best investment, though not gear,.
Hard to argue that. If pressed, what would be your second choice?

For the best bang for the buck and lasting benefits even to this day, without a doubt I'll also say the lessons I took.

Recently lost it but replacing my Pork Pie memory foam throne because by far that's been my best investment gear wise. Comfort and longevity at the kit. My back is a lot more happy than without.

Recently lost it but replacing my Pork Pie memory foam throne because by far that's been my best investment gear wise. Comfort and longevity at the kit. My back is a lot more happy than without.
That was terribly unfair what happened. You definitely know what you like, gear-wise. You'll be spared a lot of trial and error this time around.

Last edited:
That was terribly unfair what happened. You've definitely know what you like, gear-wise. You'll be spared a lot of trial and error this time around.
Thanks, mate. I'm starting to get over the loss, and yea I do know what I like. Plus I have some great very supportive friends on here. The hardest part is going to be finding cymbals that were close to my last set. It took more than 10 years to put those together...

Anyway thanks for the thoughts!

Everyone - don't leave gear in your car or unattended. Not worth it.

My DW5000 pedals

So reliable, they have been transported to so many gigs in the past and I still never needed to worry about them once out of their cases.
If I didn't have Yamaha pedals, I would probably play those. They're on my "must try" list.
Vintage 80's New Beats. Simply the best for un-supported five piece bar band....they cut like a knife.
Not quite as old, but my first good hi-hats were 13" New Beats. Chose them on account of this forum. Still have them, too!

Thanks, mate. I'm starting to get over the loss, and yea I do know what I like. Plus I have some great very supportive friends on here. The hardest part is going to be finding cymbals that were close to my last set. It took more than 10 years to put those together...

Anyway thanks for the thoughts!

Everyone - don't leave gear in your car or unattended. Not worth it.
Great cymbals don't come around often. I think losing mine would pain me the most. Tough break.

My brother and a friend of his teamed up in the mid-80's and bought a big white drum kit together. It blew away the little red sparkle kit I had been sharing with them, so they shared the big kit with me and we had a ball.

About a year after they bought it, somebody broke into the place where they were stored, and stole them. It was gut wrenching. Didn't leave so much as a cymbal felt behind.

Sakae Almighty kit and maybe the Rock N Roller MultiCart. The Sakaes sound unbelievably good; and the cart is a life saver when you need it. If I see a parking spot even a few blocks from a really busy gig; I can take it and roll my gear to the stage.

Back