Regarding tom holder.

Chinmay147

Hello everyone. I have begun drumming around 6 months ago. Been facing an issue with the kit. I have a regular 5 piece kit with two Rack Toms on the base drum mount and one floor tom. Now this is getting awkward as I have to turn in order to place my foot correctly on the kick pedal (turn towards high hat side i.e left side). This causes an awkward rack toms position and to hit the floor tom I have to turn almost 90 degrees. Tried a few adjustments but still the same. Can anyone suggest me some tips? I'm thinking of getting a Tama HTW839W road pro dual tom holder so that my base drum becomes independent of the toms. Is it a good solution?

Well ..... it's a solution. Whether it's good or not, usually you have to try it, and see if it works for you. Then you'll know if it's good. But for me ..... I like my ride cymbal low and over the right portion of the bass drum. And that means, if I have two (or more) rack toms ..... that they're to the left of the ride ..... and not mounted on the bass drum. Personally, I'm a big fan of "virgin" bass drums, so my toms are either stand or rack mounted. Even if a bass drum has a tom flange on it, I rarely use it.

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 9
Well ..... it's a solution. Whether it's good or not, usually you have to try it, and see if it works for you. Then you'll know if it's good. But for me ..... I like my ride cymbal low and over the right portion of the bass drum. And that means, if I have two (or more) rack toms ..... that they're to the left of the ride ..... and not mounted on the bass drum. Personally, I'm a big fan of "virgin" bass drums, so my toms are either stand or rack mounted. Even if a bass drum has a tom flange on it, I rarely use it.
Are you using the same idea as in the tom holder? And while using the tom holder with three/four legs can I independently place my base drum according to my comfort zone? I can see your snare is in between the rack toms which is ideal to me as I can evenly space my legs for the pedals. I can also see your floor tom is way too away.

Are you using the same idea as in the tom holder? And while using the tom holder with three/four legs can I independently place my base drum according to my comfort zone? I can see your snare is in between the rack toms which is ideal to me as I can evenly space my legs for the pedals. I can also see your floor tom is way too away.
Not a picture of my kit (just the first internet photo I found with rack toms on a stand).

I change up my set a lot. Mostly, though, I'm a 1 up, 2 down guy. Even if I have a lot more drums set up .... usually the core kit is 1 up, 2 down. But do whatever you want/need to do. With modern hardware ..... almost anything is possible now. I spent quite a few years playing center pedals (both Off-Set and Sleishman) .... that centered the bass drum. That would be another way to position your rack toms (and keep them on your bass drum) where you seem to want them. Will Calhoun and Mike Mangini are two current center pedal guys. But, those are more expensive than a double tom stand.

Now, I'm using a DW-9550 shaft drive hi-hat stand, to center my hi-hat, on my large kit. Another spin on placement.

Attachments

• 4 ver. 2 b.jpg
    4 ver. 2 b.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 6
Not a picture of my kit (just the first internet photo I found with rack toms on a stand).

I change up my set a lot. Mostly, though, I'm a 1 up, 2 down guy. Even if I have a lot more drums set up .... usually the core kit is 1 up, 2 down. But do whatever you want/need to do. With modern hardware ..... almost anything is possible now. I spent quite a few years playing center pedals (both Off-Set and Sleishman) .... that centered the bass drum. That would be another way to position your rack toms (and keep them on your bass drum) where you seem to want them. Will Calhoun and Mike Mangini are two current center pedal guys. But, those are more expensive than a double tom stand.

Now, I'm using a DW-9550 shaft drive hi-hat stand, to center my hi-hat, on my large kit. Another spin on placement.
What do you mean by centered bass drum and center pedals?

Your kit looks so good. Guess those are eliminator pedals. What do you mean by centered bass drum and center pedals?

What do you mean by centered bass drum and center pedals?
A center pedal puts the bass drum directly in front of you, with your feet either side of the bass drum. If you have two toms on your bass drum, then your toms are also centered to your front.

In the case of the Off-Set pedal (the blue rig), it has mirror drive shafts connected to the beater array. With the Sleishman, it's dual chain drives. My current double pedal is a Pearl P-932 "Demonator" with the more traditional/standard main/slave pedal lay-out. But I wanted to try out a "longboard" type pedal. Seeing that video arpic75 posted, I might just turn my P-932 into a center pedal. Looks pretty easy. Mike Mangini's drum tech modified his Pearl Demon Drive pedals in a similar way. Gotta love modern "modular" hardware.

Attachments

• off-set.jpg
    off-set.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 4
  • sleishman.jpg
    sleishman.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 4
A center pedal puts the bass drum directly in front of you, with your feet either side of the bass drum. If you have two toms on your bass drum, then your toms are also centered to your front.

In the case of the Off-Set pedal (the blue rig), it has mirror drive shafts connected to the beater array. With the Sleishman, it's dual chain drives. My current double pedal is a Pearl P-932 "Demonator" with the more traditional/standard main/slave pedal lay-out. But I wanted to try out a "longboard" type pedal. Seeing that video arpic75 posted, I might just turn my P-932 into a center pedal. Looks pretty easy. Mike Mangini's drum tech modified his Pearl Demon Drive pedals in a similar way. Gotta love modern "modular" hardware.
Yes I get it now. But I looked up on the internet and they seem pretty expensive. Guess double tom holder would be a better option. I do aspire to become a metal drummer but I guess buying a double pedal this early in the learning process would hamper my high hat progress. I can't play properly with one pedal now. Double would be too much for me?

... I looked up on the internet and they seem pretty expensive. Guess double tom holder would be a better option.
They are pricey. I bought both units used. Paid about $250 for the Off-Sets .... about $425 for the Sleishmans. Yes .... the tom holder is probably the most sensible way to go. And you're smart to stick with a single pedal for now, and work that hi-hat. The old adage "you gotta walk before you can run" is a good rule to follow with drumming. ;)

They are pricey. I bought both units used. Paid about $250 for the Off-Sets .... about $425 for the Sleishmans. Yes .... the tom holder is probably the most sensible way to go. And you're smart to stick with a single pedal for now, and work that hi-hat. The old adage "you gotta walk before you can run" is a good rule to follow with drumming. ;)
Although the pedal which came with the kit is not great. It's a double chain pedal but makes a lot of noise on the hinge side. Also the board isn't smooth. It has a logo on it and not the smoothest of construction you would want. Should I buy a new pedal ? Im thinking of Tama hp310lw single pedal. This is under 100$. Any better options for budget pedals ?

Im thinking of Tama hp310lw single pedal. This is under 100$. Any better options for budget pedals ?
Some drummers like real smooth pedals, some like the grip. You're leaning towards smooth?

Pedals are so personal ..... it's had to say pedal A would be better than pedal B. But the short answer, almost ANY pedal in the class of the Tama HP310L (Speed Cobra) is a good pedal. The Pearl P-930 that I use is very comparable to the Speed Cobra. These are both longboards. It's amazing how good the current crop of $100-$150 pedals are.

On the shortboard side, DW 3000 is about $50 more, another good pedal. And then there's the Tama HP600D.

One of my main go to pedals (for a single pedal), is the old Tama/Camco pedal. (We're talking a 40 year old pedal). It's the predecessor to the DW 5000 .... and a bunch of "other" pedals that use the same basic design. Most all strap/chain drive pedals with cams/sprockets trace back to the Camco pedal.

Your pedal may just need a little oil (lubricate that squeak) .... or ..... you may need to upgrade. But really ..... it's your foot. Sure, you don't want a pedal that fights you, so you need to have at least a pedal in good working condition. And then practice, practice, practice.

Some drummers like real smooth pedals, some like the grip. You're leaning towards smooth?

Pedals are so personal ..... it's had to say pedal A would be better than pedal B. But the short answer, almost ANY pedal in the class of the Tama HP310L (Speed Cobra) is a good pedal. The Pearl P-930 that I use is very comparable to the Speed Cobra. These are both longboards. It's amazing how good the current crop of $100-$150 pedals are.

On the shortboard side, DW 3000 is about $50 more, another good pedal. And then there's the Tama HP600D.

One of my main go to pedals (for a single pedal), is the old Tama/Camco pedal. (We're talking a 40 year old pedal). It's the predecessor to the DW 5000 .... and a bunch of "other" pedals that use the same basic design. Most all strap/chain drive pedals with cams/sprockets trace back to the Camco pedal.

Your pedal may just need a little oil (lubricate that squeak) .... or ..... you may need to upgrade. But really ..... it's your foot. Sure, you don't want a pedal that fights you, so you need to have at least a pedal in good working condition. And then practice, practice, practice.
I guess it doesn't fight me, but I sometimes try doubles on base drum and being a heel up player I try to move my foot backwards on the toes and then back to my normal position. The rough surface makes it hard for this motion. Could be my technique is wrong as people can do this on similar pedals.

The rough surface makes it hard for this motion.
Well ..... you may wanna try a smooth (or smoother) footboard pedal, just to try one. My first pedal was a junk. Came with my MIJ stencil kit. Once I got my foot on a Ludwig Speed King (yes, I'm that old :D) it was a whole different ball game. And I gotta say, none of the pedals I normally use, have rough or aggressive footboards. The Pearl P-930/932's are smooth. The Yamaha Flying Dragons are almost smooth (recessed chevron cuts). My Tama/Camco and Ludwig Speed King pedals have a bit of texture, but certainly are not rough. I do have one with a really rough, aggressive footboard (Ludwig 400 series) ..... and I can't stand it.

What pedal (make/model) do you currently play? Picture, perhaps?

Well ..... you may wanna try a smooth (or smoother) footboard pedal, just to try one. My first pedal was a junk. Came with my MIJ stencil kit. Once I got my foot on a Ludwig Speed King (yes, I'm that old :D) it was a whole different ball game. And I gotta say, none of the pedals I normally use, have rough or aggressive footboards. The Pearl P-930/932's are smooth. The Yamaha Flying Dragons are almost smooth (recessed chevron cuts). My Tama/Camco and Ludwig Speed King pedals have a bit of texture, but certainly are not rough. I do have one with a really rough, aggressive footboard (Ludwig 400 series) ..... and I can't stand it.

What pedal (make/model) do you currently play? Picture, perhaps?
This is the one I use now, came along with the kit.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201008-121702__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20201008-121702__01.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 7
This is the one I use now, came along with the kit.
OK .... so I assume the black area is recessed. I think you have the "Standard series" pedal, and new, it goes for around $110. Now, look at the "Pro series" Natal pedal below. I can't find any new, but used they're running $139. Looks like the recessed black area is smaller. So, smoother surface. Also, seems like all the YouTube video's are of the "Pro series". Maybe that's where you're seeing the sliding technique .... and indeed ..... it looks like the "Pro series" footboard is better designed for that.

You may well be correct in wanting a different pedal. If you have a drum shop near ..... go get your foot on as many pedals as you can. If you have any drummer buds, try out their pedals. Playing "other peoples gear" is a great way to find out what works, and what doesn't, for you.

Attachments

• mklvwdcwtf8wakimkvqt.jpg
    mklvwdcwtf8wakimkvqt.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 1
Two large rack toms can be a bit tricky to position. :)
Sorry if I missed it but are you talking about the left side of the Double pedal? I guess that a picture of your set up could help to get some recommendations - maybe there are a few adjustments you could do to make your current setup more comfortable.

Two large rack toms can be a bit tricky to position. :)
Sorry if I missed it but are you talking about the left side of the Double pedal? I guess that a picture of your set up could help to get some recommendations - maybe there are a few adjustments you could do to make your current setup more comfortable.
See this is how it's set-up.

Back