What's your latest purchase?

Just received 3 packs of these odd sized slotted tension rods for my vintage Sonor snare. The Sweetwater parts department was extremely helpful in finding these for me. Never knew how hard it could be to find 1/4"x46mm, slotted, course-threaded rods. Now for a matching drum key...

Tension Rods.png

DW 14x6.5 performance series snare in the Ebony Satin Lacquer (pics to come, I'm at work atm)
Or not since no matter what I do the file is too big.

Attachments

• snare2.jpg
    snare2.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 5
  • kit2.jpg
    kit2.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Don't know if you ebay but they have some listed.

I tried the Ebay route twice but both times I was sent either the wrong length (too long) or the wrong thread count (too fine). I also didn't necessarily want used rods. I have a full set of rods in the snare already but they are all mismatched and/or bent which make tuning a nightmare. I'd rather pay a little more for a full set that has the correct dimensions and run straight. That said I love ebay and have spent more money there than what I've admitted to my wife.

I tried the Ebay route twice but both times I was sent either the wrong length (too long) or the wrong thread count (too fine). I also didn't necessarily want used rods. I have a full set of rods in the snare already but they are all mismatched and/or bent which make tuning a nightmare. I'd rather pay a little more for a full set that has the correct dimensions and run straight. That said I love ebay and have spent more money there than what I've admitted to my wife.
I was talking about the slotted key. Didn't see one anywhere else.

I did it! After talking about the "One Headlight" snare for yearsssss one came up that was the same model and around the same time frame as the legendary snare that now sits in Don Bennet's Drum Studio.

This is a 3 7/8 x 14 Piccolo One Ply Maple Snare by Noble & Cooley with Brass Hardware and Die Cast Hoops from 1991.

It came with practically new heads - but I think I might change the top head later tonight or tomorrow to a slightly thicker head on the recommendation of the Sounds Like a Drum gang: but at first crack...after a mid/high tuning...it's freaking awesome. Huge Crack - nice body - solid tone....I'm not used to solid ply snares but it the sound is powerful and immediate and it's great haha.

Can't wait to work more on tuning and heads and get it dialed in!

Edit:

Here's a super quick instagram sized clip of it pretty much straight out of the box:

Attachments

• rsz_img_3441.jpg
    rsz_img_3441.jpg
    445.6 KB · Views: 8
  • rsz_img_3443.jpg
    rsz_img_3443.jpg
    938.7 KB · Views: 10
  • rsz_img_3444.jpg
    rsz_img_3444.jpg
    949.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Back