What Recorded Snare Sound Do You Like?

Get it. If there's one thing we know, it's that what's out of vogue now will be all the rage again soon. Fashion follows a highly predictable cycle.

....And there are some excellently constructed picolos that don't sound like picolos. They have a much deeper expected pitch.

I have 4:
311's Chad Sexton. The ringy/poppy sound his snare has on the album From Chaos is just gold for my ears.
The high tuned piccolo snare of Aaron Comess of the Spin Doctors.
Scott Rockenfield's Tama is always phenomenal. The punch of that thing is just criminal.
Steve Riley from L.A. Guns' Cocked & Loaded.

Last edited:
I have 3:
311's Chad Sexton. The ringy/poppy sound his snare has on the album From Chaos is just gold for my ears.
Scott Rockenfield's Tama is always phenomenal. The punch of that thing is just criminal.

I've got Queensryche empire in heavy rotation these days. Agree on the snare tone. Rockenfeld's whole kit shimmers - beautifully mixed.

kendrick scott on the blue note all stars record is a great, crisp, modern jazz sound.

also am always a fan of Tony's snare sounds.

for the non jazz stuff, i love matt chamberlain sound on one healight

I think different sounds just work for the song. I don't have a particular favorite.

Last edited:
Get it. If there's one thing we know, it's that what's out of vogue now will be all the rage again soon. Fashion follows a highly predictable cycle.
I’ve been wearing my codpiece around town now for 15 years and I’m beginning to have doubts about being in style someday. ?

1024px-Pieter_Breughel_2%2C_Drunkard_on_an_egg.jpg

Been mentioned already but the snare sound on stairway to heaven is soo damn good.

Still think the Supraphonic is the best overall sounding snare

yep, and that is why I have 2!!

I have 3:

Rockenfield's snares on Queensryche's "Rage for Order" and "Operation: Mindcrime" albums have always been exquisite to me.

I have 3:

I would say that Rockenfields snares are about as low as I can stand...I REALLY like the sound on Rage For Order....it helps that it was recorded in an airplane hanger...but good call on him! I don't know how I forgot about his sound

I’ve been wearing my codpiece around town now for 15 years and I’m beginning to have doubts about being in style someday. ?

Never take it off. The consequences of removing one's codpiece are far graver than the ramifications of leaving it on.

Whole I don’t imagine what other snares would sound like in their hit songs or contexts, Charlie Watts’ snare on “Beast of Burden” (or maybe the whole of that “Some Girls” album) is the epitome of a great snare sound (and probably the best expression of the Ludwig Supraphonic). His bass drum sound was perfect on that record too.

I'm deeply worried about that guy in the eggshell. He better avert his gaze; it's like looking directly into a solar eclipse.

Last edited:
Low tuned and high tuned snares have their places. I don't like hearing a high-tuned, cracky snare in slow tunes. It just sticks out, and I don't find that musically pleasing. Low-tuned snares are a fine line, though, and they do have a tendency to be processed to death, and I don't like that either.

I've always loved the snare sound on Dream Theater's Live at Budokan. The 14" snare on the left side of the kit. It honks, AND it cracks. And there's tons of really wonderful reverb, what sounds like a Lexicon 480L to my ears. (You can find a drums-only version of that album, and the reverb is clearly not coming from just the sound of the venue.) Kevin Shirley's mixes always have fantastic drum sounds, and Anton Fig's playing on various Joe Bonamassa records sounds great too, though I'm not the world's biggest Joe fan.

And of course Joe Morello's whole kit on Time Out sounds exquisite.

And Dogman by King's X is my gold standard for how a rock record should sound.

As to a snare sound that I don't like... Check out Will Kennedy's Zildjian Live performance. His playing, as always, is phenomenal, but the snare is big and fat and fairly heavily compressed (or is that Neve console saturation?), and notes get lost.

Last edited:
Whole I don’t imagine what other snares would sound like in their hit songs or contexts, Charlie Watts’ snare on “Beast of Burden” (or maybe the whole of that “Some Girls” album) is the epitome of a great snare sound (and probably the best expression of the Ludwig Supraphonic). His bass drum sound was perfect on that record too.
Always thought it was a super sensitive 6.5 like avh. Regardless cw has a great snare sound

I've thought about this considerably, trying to figure out if I truly paid attention to snare sound. Two come to mind--one good, one I don't find appealing. The annoying one: Spin Doctors--Two Princes. The song may help because I find all of it annoying. But that snare just bugs me. Not sure why.
For the ENTIRE Scarecrow album from John Mellencamp, I love Kenny Aronoff's snare sound. It seems to have a similar pitch/tone to Mellencamp's voice in some instances (mainly when he kinda yells). I met Kenny on a couple occasions, very cool guy. Pretty much a high tuning throughout that album. Kenny likes to crank it :cool:

Always thought it was a super sensitive 6.5 like avh. Regardless cw has a great snare sound
I'm not really sure what he played on the album, but I remember seeing them on Saturday Night Live promoting that album, and he was using a 6.5 Supra (coulda' been a Sensitive). But whatever he was using, it was a great sound. I see these days he's using DW snares.

Reactions: TJK
Back