Gretsch VS. Ludwig Shootout!

I thought all drums sound the same??????
Burn the heratic, because fo a certain extent they are correct. On a recording I can’t tell apart one drum brand from another, too many other larger sonic variables. On the other hand these differences are more pronounced throne side, but maybe that’s feel as much as sound. I do thinks it’s just about possible to id. broad construction types, ply vs stave vs acrylic. Clearly I have mixed views, promote the hieratic to chief scientist.

Burn the heratic, because fo a certain extent they are correct. On a recording I can’t tell apart one drum brand from another, too many other larger sonic variables. On the other hand these differences are more pronounced throne side, but maybe that’s feel as much as sound. I do thinks it’s just about possible to id. broad construction types, ply vs stave vs acrylic. Clearly I have mixed views, promote the hieratic to chief scientist.
The comment was in reference to another thread, https://www.drummerworld.com/forums...sound-of-the-drum-is-within-the-heads.172069/

Gretsch USA with triple flange hoops. Ludwig Hammered Bronze Snare.

Last edited by a moderator:
The nicest set of Gretsch drums I've ever played was a set of Brooklyns at Forks Drum Closet. Right across the room was a set of Classic Maples. I played both within a few minutes of each other, and my ears prefer the Classic Maples. With that said, the Classic Maples were in larger sizes, and I love the some of big, deep drums. If the Gretsch drums were in the same sizes of the Ludwigs, then who knows? I've also played a set of Renowns side-by-side with my Classic Maples, and my the Ludwigs won that one as well. To me, Ludwig Classic Maples sound and feel like a living, breathing thing that sings the exact notes you need at the right time and have no problem punching above their weight. Idk, it's hard to explain.

I have owed both and played both. Now I own neither. My preference would be Gretsch but not by much. Peace and goodwill.

I’m all team Ludwig.

Gretsch has always been the least appealing drum maker and I’m not sure why. They just bore me I think.

Ludwig to me, makes the absolute best snare drums under a 1000 bucks.

But it wasn’t until I bought my Ludwig Classic Oak kit, that I became a Ludwig loyalists. They just sound better than any other kit I’ve owned, DW included

I have no experience with Ludwig in depth other than just some brief noodling on their kits so I can't make a comparative post that is worth anything.

What I can do is sing Gretsch's praises regarding being able to make a quality drum and with a factory full of wonderful people that care about what they do and what they produce from the ground up.

I've owned Renowns (RN1 and the 57) and had a great chance thanks to some friends to play the USA Customs, Broadkasters and Brooklyns in great depth and finally settle on Brooklyns.

They are all quality instruments with beautiful finishes but the key component to them is the sound - which the Brooklyns far and away have been the nicest set of drums I've ever had the chance to play. I've had tons of drums for a long time and was with Yamaha for about a decade with a Maple Custom and a Recording custom set before having some custom drums made by Bernie Stone - but there sheer fullness of tone and playing feel of the Brooklyns has been absolutely undeniably the best playing experience I've ever had.

The construction on my kit was flawless, I love my Satin Black Metallic finish - I did change the RIMS style mounts with their mounting system from the Renown series because I like how it looks much better - the silver sealer looks cool...but the sound: Incredible.

Never before have I played a kit where everyone in the room was just taken aback by how good it sounds - the band (even after playing together for the past 7 years through all sorts of kits) were just in awesome of the power and projection and spectrum of sound it produces.

So the quality of Gretsch drums/shells/sound is by far some of the best I've played.

Where I think Gretsch falls short is hardware - which likely won't change as they are part of the DW/Gibraltar family - so I have to default to non-Gretsch brands for innovative hardware.

As a perennial player of Pearl who has no desire to change his affiliation, I can only address this topic in a fictitious fashion. If forced to choose between Ludwig and Gretsch, I'd probably embrace Ludwig, likely a set of Classic Maples. I have nothing against Gretsch and no real affinity for Ludwig. I just sense I'd go the Ludwig route. Again, my selection is theoretical. You won't catch me behind anything but Pearl badges.

This ones for you C.M

0791EAC4-0579-4A43-8EB0-4FD1A172DDB1.jpeg

Both companies make really fantastic drum kits, and I think both have done equally great jobs in the last decade reviving the classic sounds and updating their hardware for the 21st century. Gretsch's lug-integrated suspension tom mounts are THE best suspension mount I have ever used, and I've been very pleased with Ludwig's collaborations with Inde on snare throwoffs and tom mounts.

I've got a set of 60s Ludwigs and if anything, the modern Legacy Mahogany are possibly better sounding and are most definitely better made. Though to be fair it's hard NOT to have closer tolerances than Ludwig had in the 1960s.

AND Gretsch most definitely made lots of power tom kits in the 80s. I've got one and it sounds M A S S I V E

I know there are some who say drums sound the same. I’ve owned Ludwig super classics and Gretsch USA sets and both were great sets, distinctive in their own ways and had their own sound. Maybe I’m buying the marketing hype, but both lines have their own distinctive sound. A sound that doesn’t sound like any other drum maker. Both have a somewhat tribal sounding vibe that I love instead of trying to chase a perfect note or tone.

I’ll always associate the greatness of Ludwig’s sound and quality with John Bonham. And although Gretsch makes some damn fine drums (including my absolute favorite snare), I’ll always associate the greatness of the Gretsch name with those beautiful, gigantic hollow body electric guitars that helped forge the world-changing sounds of rock ‘n roll.

I have nothing new to add to this conversation however I will state a couple of years ago I decided that I wanted to buy an American made 3 piece shell pack. Of course price was a concern after watching videos I liked both the Gretsch Brooklyn and the new Ludwig Club dates with the Imperial lugs. I listened to the Ludwig shootout videos and the Gretsch videos with my headphones on I honestly say I liked the lower-priced drums better than the higher-priced ones except for the classic Maples. I liked the classic Maples pretty much the same as the club dates, but I think the rounded bearing Edge won me over and the single lug design . Both the high-end Gretsch and the high-end Ludwig's did not appeal to me in the videos. It's quite possible it could have been the money talkin. I settled on a three piece 12 14 & 20 Ludwig Club date and I'm pretty happy with them the hardware does need some attention to functionality. The wing Spurs on the kick are not long enough to accept memory locks even though the bracket that they locate to is designed to accept a memory lock. This left the Spurs easily movable unless you over tightened the T bolt. I ended up modifying memory locks and being able to just barely squeeze them in there. I have only owned one Gretsch kit and it was 6 ply possibly maple that was recovered from the sixties Maybe. They had a round badge and a rail Tom mount on the kick. All the heads I tried on them fit very tight like the shells were oversized, so in light of all that I don't think it's a very good comparison something was not right about those drums. I would like to do a side-by-side comparison of all of their American-made drums Ludwig vs. Gretsch I think that would be very cool. I grew up playing 5 piece set of Ludwig standards which were good drums so I guess I'll cast my vote for Ludwig, but I think I would be just as happy with Brooklyn's

Reactions: TJK
Does it count if you have both? ;)

I started with (and still use) my Gretsch all mahogany Catalina Clubs (22x20/12/16). Bought them with the intention of going USA Custom or Broadkasters later, but after much personalization & love of the sound, I kept them.
They're my "road kit" for bar bashing & festivals.

About 4 months ago, I had a bud who was selling his Luddy Vistalite Bonham reissue. I worked out a deal with him & now they're my "studio queen" (as lugging them around to shows is just illogical).

I love them both for different reasons. Neither are for sale anytime soon.

What I can do is sing Gretsch's praises regarding being able to make a quality drum and with a factory full of wonderful people that care about what they do and what they produce from the ground up.

Where I think Gretsch falls short is hardware - which likely won't change as they are part of the DW/Gibraltar family - so I have to default to non-Gretsch brands for innovative hardware.

I wonder if Gretsch's hardware will be DW level now that they're owned by them?

Last edited:
I've been a Ludwig Classic Maple fan and owner since 1981.
My first Supraphonic snare was purchased back in 1975.
My current Luddies are 15 years old; the big set that stays set up at home.
I still use the 1981 drums for gigging and they are in great shape.
Not one lug has stripped. The White Cortex wrap hasn't yellowed.
A few bearing edges have needed some trueing through the years, but nothing drastic.
Ludwig maples have that full warm sound that I've always loved.
I still use Hercules boom stands on my home set.
I may check out the new Speed Kings soon.

Back