Under Rated Guitarists

Witterings

Silver Member
I was listening to this track the other day and the guitar suddenly caught my attention.

From 1.25 ish the guitar becomes the main theme, from 2.25 it becomes a lot more melodic but incredible .. whilst he wasn't unknown by any stretch when you listen to a part like that he doesn't get that many mentions in comparison to a number of other highly accredited guitarists like Gilmour etc.

Just thought I'd post and hopefully others like it but also to see if anyone had any links to the lesser mentioned stars.

Saw the thread title, and I was going to say Steve Hackett.

If you haven't heard it already, his solo album from a few years after this, Voyage of the Acolyte, is great. Take a listen.

Nuno Bettencourt. Really Extreme in general. I saw them on a double bill with Mr Big. Paul Gilbert and Nuno back to back was amazing. But I definitely think he’s the too often forgotten shredding genius and Extreme are just hugely underrated, I think grunge really just killed them and a few other of the late hair-metal (although that term feels wrong for them) bands they got lumped in with.

Their set at the Concert for Freddie is amazing. Funnily enough Nuno is now the guitarist for Rihanna, he actually totally shreds at her shows. Turns out live she basically does hard rock covers of her own material which I think is pretty amazing.

Funnily enough Nuno is now the guitarist for Rihanna, he actually totally shreds at her shows. Turns out live she basically does hard rock covers of her own material which I think is pretty amazing.

If so, I'm tempted to see her live.

I would never call Terry Kath under-rated.. most guitar players revere him as much as any of the greats... BTW.. that concert in that chicago video is just awesome.. i play along with that 25 or 6 to 4 a lot..

for me the most unknown by the public that should have been massive was Rory.. been my favorite for decades.. His guitar work is amazing, but his mandolin and slide work are as good as anyone also... love him to death :)

P.S. I would add Steven Stills... his guitar work is also perfect for what he's playing and his style is just great.. especially with Manassass..

I also think Phil Manzanera from Roxy Music doesn't get the credit he deserves.

Stephen Stills rarely gets any mention for his guitar work.

Yeah that version of 25 or 6 to 4 is absolutely bonkers and amazing and I listen to it several times a week. Kath's solo is fantastic.

I notice the drummer (sorry don't know his name!) often plays the snare on the 1 with a crash, never really seen other rock drummers do that. He also rides the snare as well as the ride cymbal through a lot of that song too, but at least that is slightly more common, albeit still uncommon.

Yeah that version of 25 or 6 to 4 is absolutely bonkers and amazing and I listen to it several times a week. Kath's solo is fantastic.

I notice the drummer (sorry don't know his name!) often plays the snare on the 1 with a crash, never really seen other rock drummers do that. He also rides the snare as well as the ride cymbal through a lot of that song too, but at least that is slightly more common, albeit still uncommon.

Sea, that's Danny Seraphine, he's a really great drummer and super nice guy from everything i have ever seen... Here he is just a few years ago.. i love his playing on the intro :)

The late, great Alan Mirikitani (BBchungking) of the Budddaheads

Last edited:
Probably wouldn't call Tommy Bolin underrated, just forgotten. He died in 1976 and didn't even make the "27 Club." Definitely worth checking out. I wonder how he would have progressed...

Back