Lost some precious stuff.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Hi guys,

Be careful with your drum stuff. It's a target. I had a early morning rehearsal and knew it might wake up my significant to pack up in the morning while they slept.

I packed the car last night. Hid things under a blanket and I live in a nice area so I figured I should be okay.

At 5am someone (with their kid assisting) broke into my car and took some truly irreplaceable pieces of my music making. The amazing black beauty that Larry gifted me out of the sheer kindness of his heart and I played for literally every chance, gig, rehearsal I had... Is gone... Almost certainly forever.

My carefully curated cymbals collected over my whole drumming career, unique 60's and 70's zildjians... gone.

The 5000 pedal I had setup "just so"... my super comfy throne...

I don't know if I feel more stupid or sad. It's equal right now and I'm really beating myself up.

I hope someone sees this and makes the decision to not be lazy or save time, or try not to wake someone at the cost of their precious tools. I also lost a laptop, and could not care less in comparison to the music loss.

Hi guys,

Be careful with your drum stuff. It's a target. I had a early morning rehearsal and knew it might wake up my significant to pack up in the morning while they slept.

I packed the car last night. Hid things under a blanket and I live in a nice area so I figured I should be okay.

At 5am someone (with their kid assisting) broke into my car and took some truly irreplaceable pieces of my music making. The amazing black beauty that Larry gifted me out of the sheer kindness of his heart and I played for literally every chance, gig, rehearsal I had... Is gone... Almost certainly forever.

My carefully curated cymbals collected over my whole drumming career, unique 60's and 70's zildjians... gone.

The 5000 pedal I had setup "just so"... my super comfy throne...

I don't know if I feel more stupid or sad. It's equal right now and I'm really beating myself up.

I hope someone sees this and makes the decision to not be lazy or save time, or try not to wake someone at the cost of their precious tools. I also lost a laptop, and could not care less in comparison to the music loss.

Man, I'm sorry to learn of your loss. Might this have been an inside job -- carried out by someone who's aware you're a drummer? At the very least, the perpetrator might have seen you loading your equipment. Otherwise, some hoodlum struck gold through a random act of theft.

Whenever I prepack my truck, it's always nestled in my garage, beyond the reach of common thieves. You can never be too cautious with drums and cymbals. That's especially true in your case, given the rare specimens that were looted.

OH NO! I feel your pain man.

I'm gutted James. That snare drum was for YOU. Not them.

You earned that by making me laugh so much.

But it happened, it actually came to pass, so the only thing to do is trust the universe in it's decision.

Every bad thing that happened to me, in some way or another, was a payback for something I did in my past.

I'm at least glad that you did get to enjoy it for a number of years.

Cymbals and drums...apart from the history and emotional connection...you'll find something you like just as much.

Not to minimize your pain or anything. It's that pit in your stomach upon discovery, right? So sorry man.

2020 is far and away the most difficult year I've seen across the board

How do you know the time, and that the accomplices were related?

Send out alerts to pawn shops nearby and put a notice on your local CL

Last edited:
Truly unfortunate. Did you catch it on camera? How did you know the time and that it was someone and a kid?? Sounds like somehow there is a witness (human or other) that can provide a lead as to the perps. I would bet it was someone who saw you loading, and perhaps someone saw them.

Let's hope that they can be recovered unharmed.

What a dick move. Nothing I hate more than liars and thieves. It's such a cowardly thing to do. Incredibly sorry to hear about your loss.

Will your car insurance cover the stolen items?

Police report, pictures, and pawn shops. The 3 Ps of being robbed. At least here anyhow.

Sorry to hear Doc -
Immediately call all pawn shops/music stores within a determined radius.
Look out on offer up and CL good luck buddy!

That is real bummer. I’m sorry.

Truly unfortunate. Did you catch it on camera? How did you know the time and that it was someone and a kid?? Sounds like somehow there is a witness (human or other) that can provide a lead as to the perps. I would bet it was someone who saw you loading, and perhaps someone saw them.

Let's hope that they can be recovered unharmed.
I do have a camera and saw them doing it at 5am on camera. Police report is filed and I'm trying to watch the local sales but I don't think they're that stupid. What is wrong with people. How can you take someone's personal instruments like that.

Disregard for the property of others is a societal evil as old as humanity itself. It's incomprehensible but nevertheless pervasive. We can't eradicate it. The best we can do is take reasonable measures to minimize its occurrence, knowing that all safeguards can be circumvented in the end. Some people are malicious and dishonorable. What more can be said?

I'm sorry to hear that. On rare occasions I leave my stuff in the car overnight, and I always promise myself to never do that again. This is a good reminder to us all.

I'm sorry to hear that. On rare occasions I leave my stuff in the car overnight, and I always promise myself to never do that again. This is a good reminder to us all.
This is the reason I'm saying anything to you guys. I'm sad, but not looking for sympathy. I am hoping to prevent this for someone else.

Please everyone just take the extra trips and bring in your gear.

I’m so sorry Doc for your losses - loved instruments and that loss of trust in humanity - the slime balls. It was wise not to confront them in the act- a confrontation can go south in a hurry. Did the police give you any encouragement of a chance some items may be returned if found and used as evidence? I take things like that like I’ve been personally violated so hurts me, angers me, then feel sorry for the sack of crap they would do such by the time I sort my feelings.

That sucks man. I feel your pain. While I may not have had my drums stolen, our house was broken into and two bedrooms ransacked resulting in the theft of most of my wife's jewelry, my Concord watch and probably some other things I don't even know about. So, I understand the sense of invasion into your "personal space". I can tell you the anger will last a fairly long time. It does disipate. But depending on your frame of mind, from time to time it creeps in there and ticks you off if you let it. In order to get past it you kind of just have to let go of the stuff they took. We checked many area pawn shops but never found anything. And while you surely won't leave anything of value in your car again, I will never forget to set our house alarm when we aren't home. And I added Ring video doorbells front and back. The reason I put on in back was because they saw our dark house and went around back and kicked the door in. So, in addition to the Rings and using the alarm we also put outside lights on at night. I feel your pain man.

Damn, sorry to hear that. I hope that someone spots them on Facebook, CL, Reverb, ebay and so on. Chances are they are stupid enough to offer them for sale. Maybe you can contact local pawn shops to inform you when someone drops off the Black Beauty there. Fingers crossed!

That is heartbreaking... truly.

I lost some drum equipment in a similar fashion a few years ago. I'll never forget that feeling when I first discovered the theft.

There are some broken people out there. So sorry you crossed paths with them.

Having precious stuff stolen by weak minded people who just don't give a damn makes my blood boil... had a similiar thing happen with cameras, seems they figured it was pro gear, panicked and threw the whole lot in a garden nearby....take a look around ur immediate area...you never know.....

Sorry for your loss Dr_Watso.. and this violation of your personal space and things.

Damn thieves, these rats... I was told by a former thief not to be angry at them.. it's a sad life and dangerous life to live and you learned about never leaving anything in a car...

At least, you will start all over again with new gear and perhaps you will find even better cymbals with the insurance money, it's really possible.

As an electrician, with the really low cost of operating LED lights these days, I encourage my customers to light up all sides of their houses brightly and have the lights controlled by photocells so they stay on all night and shut themselves off in the daytime and there's no resetting of timers. Simple and nothing to think about. I use less than 300 watts and my house and yard are well lit on all sides. Bad guys will avoid the well lit houses and go to the dark houses as a general rule. Dark houses that are right near a major highway onramp are more susceptible.

Last edited:
Back