Anyone have experience with a 24x16 bass drum

sillypilot

Hi all - Anyone have experience with a 24x16 bass drum? I'm not a fan of 14" depth drums. Any opinions would be great. I'm not trying to start a battle here, just would like to know experiences pros/cons.

Thanks!
Jorge

My only objection to a 24" is its height. I play my lone mounted tom in a snare stand that hovers over one side of my bass drum, a 22"X16". If it were a 24", I'd need to elevate my tom stand accordingly, which I'd rather not do.

Hi all - Anyone have experience with a 24x16 bass drum? I'm not a fan of 14" depth drums. Any opinions would be great. I'm not trying to start a battle here, just would like to know experiences pros/cons.

Thanks!
Jorge
I play a 24” by 18” cannon that’ll blow your head off, but I’ve heard the shallower depths are easier to tune than my beast (I think Ian Paice uses a shallowish 24” in the studio - not sure if it’s a 16” though?)? All the best with your search, 24”s are awesome! :)

Last edited:
I’ve had both 24x14 and 24x16 in the past (both Ludwig Classic Maples), and I didn’t think 2” would make that big a difference, but it did to me. The 14” was much easier to get that classic rock n roll sound. The 16” seemed a bit boomier (I played both with Remo PS3’s on both sides with no muffling). But I think if you’re gonna dampen with muffling, the 16” should be fine.

I currently have a 24x16 in birch. I honestly don't know if I'm not a fan of it because of the birch, or the diameter. I usually use just a superkick 2 and a regulator on the reso side but I couldn't with this kick drum. I was getting a horrible basketball tone. I know the 14" depth is my preferred for 22's and 24's , but I also have a 22x18 that I was able to tune up beautifully. It's in round and bearing edges are perfect so I just own it up to the depth. I haven't played it for awhile.

My only objection to a 24" is its height. I play my lone mounted tom in a snare stand that hovers over one side of my bass drum, a 22"X16". If it were a 24", I'd need to elevate my tom stand accordingly, which I'd rather not do.
That’s a really good point to consider...that was the biggest difference for me when I went up to 24”... (y) :)

I have a Yamaha Recording Custom 16" X 24". My preference would have been to purchase a 14" depth but the Yamaha factory was sold out in every size bass drum having a 14" depth. The extra 2" difference in depth for me after playing it is negligible from that of a 14". The 16" depth actually paid off in spades when I installed two Kelly Shu internal mic mounts (the Pro and the Flatz) in that the extra 2" inches provided me more latitude for positioning the dynamic mic. My two cents is the difference for most players will be negligible.

Love my 24x15 Yamaha SCB kick! So have all the bands I've used it with. Superkick II batter, a ported regulator for reso, and a folded bedsheet inside.

I've owned 4 24X 14s, and one 24 X 16, which is my current bass drum. I honestly don't notice a huge difference, and yet I think I preferred the 14" depth. Perhaps it's nostalgia, but I feel like those old drums were easier to get the sound I wanted. BTW, all were maple. Two Pearls, and three Ludwigs.

Bottom line - I really wouldn't sweat it. If you have a leaning in either direction, go for it and don't worry about what you're missing.

Back