Movies/TV shows with bad drumming scenes

One thing that really bugs me about Whiplash is whether or not the protagonist is supposed to be any good or not. Throughout most of the film, is playing is pretty wretched, like he’s lucky to even be in that conservatory. But then he pulls off that solo at the end. So was his sucking during the rest of the film just a ploy?

Like in the second-to-last song, where it was new to him and he wasn’t given any music. I would have at least just kept time. Sure you’d miss all the hits, but keeping steady time would have been 1000x better than what he did.

It's a written script and directors directing him for a final product for the masses, not just drummers, but is picked apart by drummers. The script probably called for problems executing timing etc... and is necessary for the plot. Like I said before, I think he did a good job of helping present the plot of the movie and I don't think his playing hindered the enjoyment of watching it.
I play other instruments and I just laugh at times of actors playing the guitar and other instruments. There's been times where I thought it did hinder the movie because it was pretty bad but I don't think it did in Whiplash.

I've been watching the Netflix show, PEN15, and one of the main characters takes an improvised timpani solo that would be great to see during a middle-school band concert -
There were a couple of other details that were curious, like that the character's dad was often out of town touring with a Steely Dan cover band. It turns out the actress/co-creator of the show is Maya Erskine, Peter's daughter.

I've been watching the Netflix show, PEN15, and one of the main characters takes an improvised timpani solo that would be great to see during a middle-school band concert -
There were a couple of other details that were curious, like that the character's dad was often out of town touring with a Steely Dan cover band. It turns out the actress/co-creator of the show is Maya Erskine, Peter's daughter.
I watched the first episode but, despite having heard great things about it and really liking her in other stuff, I just couldn't quite get into it. But that scene was pretty awesome.

Whiplash and Drumline for me...

I remember when Drumline came out, parents would come up to me and say "Can you make Little Johnny play like the movie Drumine?"...there were many, many times that I had to bite my tongue...

and really, any TV commercial with ANY musical instrument is usually a cringe fest for me...saxophones being played with clarinet mouthpieces on them; the right hand above the left; tenor sax neck on an alto body; trumpet being played with left hand on the valves; cello or bass players plucking or bowing with the left hand; trombone played with the bell on the right shoulder and the left hand working the slide; drummers playing right hand traditional; or marching with a concert snare; an electric bass plugged into a guitar amp, or vice versa...

one of my big "bitch fests" is that you would NEVER see incorrect sports equipment being used...like, I never see American football players with hockey shoulder pads, or soccer players using volleyballs, or hockey players with American football helmets on...why is the same detail not used with instruments? I wonder if painters see the same kind of missed detailed when people paint on TV or in commercials

one of my big "bitch fests" is that you would NEVER see incorrect sports equipment being used...like, I never see American football players with hockey shoulder pads, or soccer players using volleyballs, or hockey players with American football helmets on...why is the same detail not used with instruments? I wonder if painters see the same kind of missed detailed when people paint on TV or in commercials
Good question!
I’m gonna say it’s because of endorsements from Nike, Adidas, etc. Or when they show some pro star without labeled gear, the contract they sign stipulates proper gear.

More uncommon is a movie or TV programming with good drumming-not dubbed like old TV. Back in 70s I watched this movie (that I can't remember) but it had one dark bar scene that had this drummer playing in background a blazing solo the likes I'd never seen-he was a blur. I've been looking for years trying to find the movie and the scene.
When my two friends and I returned from our high school trip to Germany-Holland and we went to pick up our bikes at the Miami airport we got caught as they were filming "some movie". We walked through the door to a Director yelling "Ok boys act normal keep it copacetic. " We could see a tall actor with a cowboy hat (that looked like Donald Sutherland) speaking with a women. Been looking for such a movie to see if us longhaired bell bottom numbskulls are in the background of the movie LOL.

War movies are just as bad. Wrong weapons, wrong uniforms, no one ever reloads until 1000 rounds are spent, car doors stop bullets, wrong planes dropping Napalm, it's terrible. I think the idea is the audience doesnt know any better.

Whiplash and Drumline for me...

I remember when Drumline came out, parents would come up to me and say "Can you make Little Johnny play like the movie Drumine?"...there were many, many times that I had to bite my tongue...

and really, any TV commercial with ANY musical instrument is usually a cringe fest for me...saxophones being played with clarinet mouthpieces on them; the right hand above the left; tenor sax neck on an alto body; trumpet being played with left hand on the valves; cello or bass players plucking or bowing with the left hand; trombone played with the bell on the right shoulder and the left hand working the slide; drummers playing right hand traditional; or marching with a concert snare; an electric bass plugged into a guitar amp, or vice versa...

This guy is clearly wearing gig appropriate attire...for wrestlemania... :unsure:1598995386026.jpeg

War movies are just as bad. Wrong weapons, wrong uniforms, no one ever reloads until 1000 rounds are spent, car doors stop bullets, wrong planes dropping Napalm, it's terrible. I think the idea is the audience doesnt know any better.

true...totally agree!!

This guy is clearly wearing gig appropriate attire...for wrestlemania... :unsure:View attachment 95530

The Lost boys....great movie!!...and. you are totally right...but I think in the movie, he is actually playing, or doing one of the better jobs of mocking it, albeit rather stupidly

I share with your frustrations and I think every subculture critiques their representation in movies as we are here. I remember someone telling me not to worry about flubbing a drum fill because 99% of the audience is musically illiterate. I think the movie producers and directors understand this about music and other subcultures and rely on it.

I share with your frustrations and I think every subculture critiques their representation in movies as we are here. I remember someone telling me not to worry about flubbing a drum fill because 99% of the audience is musically illiterate. I think the movie producers and directors understand this about music and other subcultures and rely on it.
Oh 100%. Anything that requires technical knowledge (music, specific pop-culture sub-cultures, occupations) movies will generally get wrong horribly, just ask doctors. My Dad is a retired minister and he finds watching wedding/funeral/church scenes in movies frustrating because of how much they get wrong (vows will be mixed from 4 different denominations and just some stuff the writers made up).

But I do enjoy/hate just how wrong some drumming ones are.

Back