The Gretsch Brooklyn has arrived

It’s been tough to find a time to play them without super pads and L80s, but I did post this here at one time:
That’s the bronze snare in the recording.

I don’t have a clue how to apply effects, so it’s mics only.

Nice man - looks comfy! What's your cymbal set up?

Congratulations that's a Classy Kit sound's great too, loved the video.

Hey thanks man!! I'm a little in love haha.

Very comfortable. :) HHX Evolution series. 14” hats, 17,18 and 19” crashes, 21” ride and 18” Ozone. A few more in a bag, but that’s the main setup. 17 and ozone stay home unless needed.

Love the rig man - that's a nice set of Sabians dude! If you're even in NM - swing on by and take mine for a spin!

Our band got hired to provide some online content for a music venue that we were supposed to perform in May...then October...now undetermined - but have shifted to online concerts - so I got to take the new kit out for a spin tonight!!

It sounded amazing - this was the first time hearing it for the band and everyone was talking all night about how BIG and rich it sounded and how the kick was so "punch you in the chest" that it sounded amplified.

Finish looked even better out in the wild than in my studio - we have huge fires here so the sunsets are insane right now and the Satin Black Metallic picked it up like crazy.

Second show too for the Yamaha Cross Town hardware - held even the 23" ride way up there with no problems at all - never loosened up or antyhing.

It was also the second spin for The Cymbal Resonance System - basically suspension mounting for your cymbals. You can see them attached to the top of the Crosstown stands.

The first time I used it - the sound of them cymbals was noticeably different - especially when it came to crashing my 21" and 23" - very, very open and full....I have a drum tech that travels with us for a lot of the shows and he was totally shocked at how different and huge the cymbals sounded. The weirdest thing about them though is the feel. They move a lottttt more than I've ever experienced. So riding is a totally different experience. I think they're a slam dunk for crashes - sonically very open and very different from a typical stand (And I pair these with cympads, just an FYI). The feel is so different on rides that I think it'll take another few shows to really settle in to the feel. Worth checking out!

Attachments

• Heart Space 1.jpg
    Heart Space 1.jpg
    457.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Heart Space 2.jpg
    Heart Space 2.jpg
    392.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Heart Space 3.jpg
    Heart Space 3.jpg
    463.7 KB · Views: 46
Finally got the new head on!!

I was concerned with how it would sound - but I'm not sure what the physics are (more mass = lower fundamental tone?) but it sound like absolute thunder.

We are temporarily set up at our bass players album until we leave to record and this replaced this little cheapy set and the whole band was absolutely freaking out about the bass drum sound (And look haha).

Attachments

• 8A09C422-E677-4AC1-9550-3B029E66C915-959DCC05-7E67-48D3-80D1-5795BF79E866.JPG
    8A09C422-E677-4AC1-9550-3B029E66C915-959DCC05-7E67-48D3-80D1-5795BF79E866.JPG
    734.3 KB · Views: 30
Finally got the new head on!!

I was concerned with how it would sound - but I'm not sure what the physics are (more mass = lower fundamental tone?) but it sound like absolute thunder.

We are temporarily set up at our bass players album until we leave to record and this replaced this little cheapy set and the whole band was absolutely freaking out about the bass drum sound (And look haha).
That looks nice. What head is it?

Hey folks,

Hope you are all well, safe and healthy.

My Grestch Brooklyn kit has arrived and it's wonderful.

It's a 22",10",12",16" set up - I'll likely add a 14" floor and a 8" rack tom and get an 18" kick just for versatility since this kind of an end-game kit.

I change the normal RIMS style mount for their lug attached GTS mount for a couple of reasons: Aesthetics - on a black kit that HUGE piece of chrome was distracting to me and 2. tom positioning - the lug mounts let me get the drums just a littleeee closer. I really love the lug suspension mounts! Big thanks again to the forum for this recommendation.

I went with EC2 SSTs on tom and G1s on bottom for the time being - they sound amazing. Warm, richy and punchy with some nice attack from the clear heads. They tuned up in an instant - all the edges were great - no quality issues or anything. On the kick I have an EMAD with the small ring and for the time being I moved the power stroke that it came with to the front while I get my real front head painted - cut a small hole in the PS too. It's sound DEEP and Punchy and fat....what a KICK.

I have it paired with the USA Bronze snare and it sound amazing - I put an Evans HD Dry on it and it's one of the better snare sounds I've ever had. Rich, and deep with a lot of tone and response. I'll likely change the huge stock snare with a Canopus 16 strand vintage snare - but for now it's all great.

Haven't recorded with it yet - but even on an iPhone video - the tones coming from this kit are insane.

The finish is Satin Black Metallic - it's rich and deep and has an almost gun metal grey tone to it in the light - everyone wants to touch it haha.

Awesome kit - can't recommend it enough!!

Interestingly - I was comparing it to the Renowns I used to have and these really are a lot richer and warmer sounding with the exact same head combination. I didn't suspect there would be that much difference - but there really is.
BEAUTIFULL KIT!!,ENJOY EVERY HIT!! I guess good old GRETSCH is still got it !!!

That looks nice. What head is it?

It's the stock head that shipped with the kit - I did attach a couple sections of the thicker ring from an EMAD on the top and bottom of the head to tone it down a bit - so between that and the paint - it's absolutely insane. I'm debating picking up a Subkick or moonmic before we head into the studio at the end of the month to try and help capture that low end - totally punches you in the gut.

BEAUTIFULL KIT!!,ENJOY EVERY HIT!! I guess good old GRETSCH is still got it !!!

They're better than ever!! Thank you!!

Cool song and drums cut through nicely. How are they mic'd?

Love that tune - The Japanese House is great. The video had a ton of view and it's ok but not like break the internet good - but I realized it was because the lead singer of the band liked it - so IG's algorithm decided to run with it haha.

EAD10 on the 1985 setting.

Thanks man!

EAD10 on the 1985 setting.
Makes me really rethink the EAD thing again. If I had a 2U/1D set in standard configuration, I think it would have been a no brainer. The EAD didn't much like my 2nd FT or ride over the kick at all. Rack tom head also sat below the traditional config, so you couldn't hear it either. In your set up, it does a great job...exactly as advertised. (y)

Makes me really rethink the EAD thing again. If I had a 2U/1D set in standard configuration, I think it would have been a no brainer. The EAD didn't much like my 2nd FT or ride over the kick at all. Rack tom head also sat below the traditional config, so you couldn't hear it either. In your set up, it does a great job...exactly as advertised. (y)

I can see the second floor tom being a problem - the right side snare came in a little lighter than the rest of this kit - it just so happened to work on this tune - but it was certainly quiter than my primary snare. I haven't had an issue with the ride in a 4 piece or a 5 piece set up - but that device certainly has specs where it works perfect in and specs where it starts to come up short.

Which I think was your point in your post a long time ago - first time we "met" on this forum haha.

I'll tell you though - if you can exist within the parameters of the EAD10 - it's just a beast at what it does.

My issue that only like 40% of the songs on my iPhone allow me to record like this - and mix on the app - and upload easily etc.

So I guess I need to get a laptop interface to be able to record anything.

What's your recording set up like? I'm a total noob on setting up home recording - it's this huge hole in my expertise.

I'm using a Focusrite 18i20 with 7 AKG mics that came as part of their Concert 1 series package.
Found them on Amazon for less than GC was selling a used set. Manager wouldn't budge on his price and wouldn't believe me, so I sent him a copy of the receipt. lol!

I've struggled with mixing, but haven't been able to dig into it since going to "quiet practice". Will have to play with mixing and effects more, but just on their own, they make the pad/L80 experience pretty livable.

Hey folks,

Hope you are all well, safe and healthy.

My Grestch Brooklyn kit has arrived and it's wonderful.

It's a 22",10",12",16" set up - I'll likely add a 14" floor and a 8" rack tom and get an 18" kick just for versatility since this kind of an end-game kit.

I change the normal RIMS style mount for their lug attached GTS mount for a couple of reasons: Aesthetics - on a black kit that HUGE piece of chrome was distracting to me and 2. tom positioning - the lug mounts let me get the drums just a littleeee closer. I really love the lug suspension mounts! Big thanks again to the forum for this recommendation.

I went with EC2 SSTs on tom and G1s on bottom for the time being - they sound amazing. Warm, richy and punchy with some nice attack from the clear heads. They tuned up in an instant - all the edges were great - no quality issues or anything. On the kick I have an EMAD with the small ring and for the time being I moved the power stroke that it came with to the front while I get my real front head painted - cut a small hole in the PS too. It's sound DEEP and Punchy and fat....what a KICK.

I have it paired with the USA Bronze snare and it sound amazing - I put an Evans HD Dry on it and it's one of the better snare sounds I've ever had. Rich, and deep with a lot of tone and response. I'll likely change the huge stock snare with a Canopus 16 strand vintage snare - but for now it's all great.

Haven't recorded with it yet - but even on an iPhone video - the tones coming from this kit are insane.

The finish is Satin Black Metallic - it's rich and deep and has an almost gun metal grey tone to it in the light - everyone wants to touch it haha.

Awesome kit - can't recommend it enough!!

Interestingly - I was comparing it to the Renowns I used to have and these really are a lot richer and warmer sounding with the exact same head combination. I didn't suspect there would be that much difference - but there really is.
Hey NC Hope you are enjoying your new Gretsch Brooklyn Kit, Was wondering if its not too much trouble could you send a good picture of the gts tom mount you are using. is it made well ? sturdy ? thanks,also thks for your feedback on the broadcaster and brooklyn comparison you were very helpful

Back