Tony Allen

Hi everyone. I'm new here, I found you while searching the web about Tony Allen.

I do believe he was an incredible drummer, the most musical drummer I've ever heard, as far as I'm concerned. Never have I felt the drums were contributing that much to a song, not just by providing a steady timeline but truly bringing emotion, groove, tension and release.

I love this video about him, I think it shows an accurate picture of his style in a simple, un-processed way.

For those of you who know La Ritournelle by Sébastien Tellier, the record label has published the isolated, un-processed drum track here:
I have recorded a cover of this song, I hope it is ok to post this here, let me know if it isn't. I am playing everything and doing the vocals as well:

Thank you Bernard.

What a special player. Really glad I eventually discovered his playing.

Hi everyone. I'm new here, I found you while searching the web about Tony Allen.

I do believe he was an incredible drummer, the most musical drummer I've ever heard, as far as I'm concerned. Never have I felt the drums were contributing that much to a song, not just by providing a steady timeline but truly bringing emotion, groove, tension and release.

I love this video about him, I think it shows an accurate picture of his style in a simple, un-processed way.

For those of you who know La Ritournelle by Sébastien Tellier, the record label has published the isolated, un-processed drum track here:
I have recorded a cover of this song, I hope it is ok to post this here, let me know if it isn't. I am playing everything and doing the vocals as well:

Sorry it took so long to listen to your version! Outstanding!

It's Hugh Masekela and Tony Allen, I mean it should be self explanatory that it's the talent not the post production. 🤷‍♂️

I see him pure African not "western" in concept altho he used the western "traps" drum set.
Took awhile to acclimate to him but I do now

toms tension'ed to clearly HEAR - excite- all the air in the dimension of the shell; and sometimes they were big- 12 and 13 power toms etc
I like that

his playing- 1st inspired me- 10 months-ago:

Last edited:
Baker confused this (at times in interviews) with Jazz.
Jazz is a western (NOLA etc, chicago, Pittsburgh, Kansas City..) Outgrowth result of mix of cultures. (the melting pot America was)
What Baker and Tony is/are/were/ was- mostly more so- all African.
and
As Art Blakey once (after living in Africa for 2 years) famously said to an interviewer
"African? music? ain't got nothing to do with! Jazz...)
Meaning pure African rarely had any Western (euro classical, American rudimental etc) influences
and was it's own thing
I'm fine with that.
Tony used a Western set but his concept was pure almost strict African.
Toms tension (not overly tight but) .......to be heard the next village over!

Last edited:
Baker is a heavyweight on the kit, jazz, Latin, Afro..
His playing with Fela Kuti blows me away.. The live album with Africa 70 is unreal..
Allen was influenced heavy with jazz in the early days..

It's amazing any one could play with him

He just Floats I LOVE IT

It's Hugh Masekela and Tony Allen, I mean it should be self explanatory that it's the talent not the post production. 🤷‍♂️
Talented people need techniques and equipment though, just like us mortals.
Just noticed Tony uses the butt end of the stick to hit those toms ...

Back