New Drum Kit Suggestion

I will really appreciate help about which drum kit to buy at a beginner level for drumming? Only the 5 drums setup for drumming. I have heard about multiple brands and so wanted to ask, that which is a good one for a beginner?

A question this open-ended could generate more responses than you're capable of reading in a lifetime. It's on par with asking, "What should I have for lunch today?"

I'll keep things on track. Get a Yamaha Stage Custom. I mean, what difference does it make to a pure beginner? You have no specific expectations at this point.

Note: I've never owned nor played a Yamaha kit. I just don't want to confuse you.

Just to put in my two cents, I would look at Guitar Center's used section on their website. You can often find used intermediate/mid-level kits for the price of new beginner level kits. I'd consider any of the following kits for a beginner: Pearl Exports, Tama Rockstars, Ludwig Accents. There are others, but there are literally tons of these used on Guitar Center's website, especially Pearl Exports and Tama Rockstars, all between $150-$400. These are all good, mid-level kits you can get a nice sound out of, for equal or less than what you might pay for a brand new beginner level kit. And usually with a beginner kit, as you progress, you'd probably want to upgrade to an intermediate kit in the not too distant future anyway, and this could save you a step. Happy hunting!

Buy a used drum set. You might even get cymbals with it. Cymbals can be expensive.
Buy a Yamaha Stage Custom, Gretsch Catalina, Ludwig Evolution or Tama Imperialstar.
I vote for the used Yamaha Stage Custom.

It's worth mentioning that the Stage Custom is an intermediate level kit that's only slightly more expensive than a beginner's kit. It will last you a long, long time before you'll need to upgrade, if ever.

Last edited:
Budget, features, color or finish in that order. Don't waste money on a "beginner" kit. If you like drumming you will want to upgrade soon. If you don't like drumming you won't be able to sell it. I won't mention a brand because most major companies offer mid-line kits for decent prices. Figure out the buget first. Cymbals will cost as much as the drums at first. Sound is of course the bottom line, but with proper heads and tuning most will sound good.

Last edited:
Budget, features, color or finish in that order. Don't waste money on a "beginner" kit. If you like drumming you will want to upgrade soon. If you don't like drumming you won't be able to sell it. I won't mention a brand because most major companies offer mid-line kits for decent prices. Figure out the buget first. Cymbals will cost as much as the drums at first. Sound is of course the bottom line, but with proper heads and tuning most will sound good.
Solid advice, right there.

The Yamaha Stage Custom is a solid choice. Good sounding drums, well built and reliable all for a modest price and usually includes good hardware. Add a cymbal pack of Paiste PST 5 cymbals and you are good to go.

I'll vote for the Stage Custom as well, really well built set of drums, for not that much more than a beginner-level set. Isolated YESS tom mounts, all birch shells. Only downside on those (in my opinion) is the slightly shallower shell sizes, I prefer the "normal" sized toms myself. But it may just be my vain "metalhead" attitude which feels deeper toms add more to the punch/volume. But by all means, it is still a quality kit that I much more will prefer to own than, say, a new Pearl Export, which is not too far away pricewise, here at least.

I had that same question 6 months ago. I'm older (58 today) and make decent money so I wasn't limited too much by financial concerns (although I sure didn't want to waste my money). I ended up choosing DW Performance Series (10"/12"/14"/16"/22") with a 6.5"x14" snare (same series). I added on a 8" and 18" (which is probably overkill for a beginner as my drum lessons don't even use the 16" yet). It became obvious to me pretty early on that this hobby is going to be with me until I'm too old to do it anymore. Therefore, I wanted to get a kit that I was totally convinced would be a great kit. I don't know your situation, but if hypothetically if I was 18 yr old again and worked for minimum wage, I'd go for a used 5 piece kit (2 rack toms, floor tom, bass, snare).

Buying new will always mean losing money in case you'll sell it eventually, so if you don't find anything used on Facebook Marketplace or other sites, you want to make an informed decision!
To me, the priorities would be: sizes (depends on your favorite music genres, how tall you are and how often you'd like to play concerts on small stages...), finish and hardware (sturdiness and how easy it is to set up the drums).
If you find something used that seems alright for a good price, I'd prefer that, though. Then you'll have time to figure those things out and sell the used set without losing a lot of money. Do you have hardware and cymbals already?

Last edited:
Think it depends on how much the beginner will dedicate him or herself to the instrument! If just a something to do Pearl Exports which run about $200 less than the Yamaha Stage customs. Then again, if the beginner seems to be really gun ho, and looks like more dedication, Yamaha Stage Customs. Just remember the cymbals are an additional expense on-top of the kit.
There are plenty of nice used sets ln the market.

Back