DW 00s Exotic Custom Collectors build questions

Chris_Drums

Hey peeps how's it going! Will try and post properly this time ?

Want to enquire to any DW experts out there, trying to/would be awesome to fill in gaps of knowledge on DW 00's build details on there Collectors Series drums. Have a 2001 build Collectors Exotic Custom kit it relates to.

Mainly trying to figure the bearing edge cuts, with them being different then modern builds, but not sure on the cut, and if it would vary between rack toms and floor toms?
And also want to know for sure the general maple shell Collectors Series drum ply thickness and number of plys Collectors Maple kits had at this time. Farely sure mine are thicker then they are today, think but not sure of them being 8ply on rack toms and 10 on floor toms and bass drum, with all drum having reinforcement hoops, which I think are 2 ply.

Also guessing but would be good to know for sure all the DW technical terminology/ build style options on their current shell builds, like : SSC, HVLT, VLT, X Shells and VLX would have come in after 2001?

Other details I know/farely sure of my kit are :

I'm farely sure shells are made out of DW's North American Rock Maple and finished in Deep Rich Burst Lacquer over Exotic Cedar Wood.

I'm farely sure the hoops are die-cast hoops.

Shell sizes and tuning markings are :

10x9" - B
12x10" - E
14x12" - C
16x14" - G#
22x18" - Bb (with rail mount)

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_20200628_173211_compress42.jpg
    IMG_20200628_173211_compress42.jpg
    460.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20200628_214338_compress18.jpg
    IMG_20200628_214338_compress18.jpg
    531.2 KB · Views: 20
Your rims are triple flange, not die cast.

Have contacted DW and given them the order number (I believe that's the number inside the shell between the lug screws on the inside of the shell)? They should be able to give you all the shell specs.

Based on the dark wood of the re-rings I'm guessing the inner ply is cedar.

If I had to guess the shells are probably the regular DW collectors layup of, I believe, 6 ply for drums 8-13" and 8 ply 14" and up, both with 3 ply re-rings? I could be wrong about that as it's been a while since I've have to think about this stuff. Contacting DW would give you all the specifics, and I don't think they did "custom" ply layups back then, but again I could be wrong about that. I got my Keller era DW's 21 years ago so I haven't been in the drum market since.

Enjoy those beauties.

Your rims are triple flange, not die cast.

Have contacted DW and given them the order number (I believe that's the number inside the shell between the lug screws on the inside of the shell)? They should be able to give you all the shell specs.

Based on the dark wood of the re-rings I'm guessing the inner ply is cedar.

If I had to guess the shells are probably the regular DW collectors layup of, I believe, 6 ply for drums 8-13" and 8 ply 14" and up, both with 3 ply re-rings? I could be wrong about that as it's been a while since I've have to think about this stuff. Contacting DW would give you all the specifics, and I don't think they did "custom" ply layups back then, but again I could be wrong about that. I got my Keller era DW's 21 years ago so I haven't been in the drum market since.

Enjoy those beauties.
Thank you very much for that! Image your keller shells sound amazing.

2001 is considered part of DW's "transition period" on shells. There are a few Keller shell DW kits from that year. The tell-tale sign is the joint on the reinforcement rings.

If the joint is flat, (flat end to flat end), it's a Keller shell. If the joint is a finger-joint, it's a DW-made shell.
DW-flat Keller joint.jpg DW-finger joint.jpg

Regardless of which those drums are, those drums are beautiful and I wouldn't mind owning them myself. I hope you're enjoying the heck out of them!

Last edited:
2001 is considered part of DW's "transition period" on shells. There are a few Keller shell DW kits from that year. The tell-tale sign is the joint on the reinforcement rings.

If the joint is flat, (flat end to flat end), it's a Keller shell. If the joint is a finger-joint, it's a DW-made shell.
View attachment 94720 View attachment 94721

Regardless of which those drums are, those drums are beautiful and I wouldn't mind owning them myself. I hope you're enjoying the heck out of them!
Really interesting solid info here. Thank you very much!

Back