The Song Every Drummer Tries to Play But We All Play it Wrong

Well he told me every drummer in the world plays it and in the video he says they do and all play it wrong.
I think I figured out what's going on. This guy is so delusional, he thinks that no matter what a drummer is playing, it's Don't Ever Wanna Lose Ya being played incorrectly.

Customer #1: [plays the intro to Rock and Roll by Led Zeppelin]
GC Manager: No, no, no, you're playing it all wrong! Don't Ever Wanna Lose Ya sounds nothing like that!

Customer #2: [starts playing Tom Sawyer]
GC Manager: Wow, these drummers have NO IDEA how to play Don't Ever Wanna Lose Ya

Customer #3: [plays the Rosanna shuffle flawlessly]
GC Manager: Hmmm, I don't remember sounding THAT good on Don't Ever Wanna Lose Ya, but it's STILL WRONG!

Customer #4: [just starts randomly bashing away at the kit]
GC Manager: Now I'm super convinced that NO ONE can play Don't Ever Wanna Lose Ya correctly except me! I RULE!!!!!!!

Psychologists call it Don't Wanna Lose Ya Syndrome. :)

Last edited:
Right now either an Alesis or Simmons. I also am thinking og hetting the old D-4 or D5 and making my practice pads the kit with that. I can not try one out to decide because the manager of Guitar Center will not let me. :(

I am oging to ask him if i pay for it can itry it and then he will do a return for me if i dont like it then try the other one? It is tough being a kid I tell you what! haha

There is no right or wrong way to play music. There are those of the opinion that if you're not playing note for note like the original then you're not playing the music correctly. That is complete and utter BS. Music is emotional, therefore even the person who "wrote" the music is not going to play it note for note every time it's played. You think Peart played the exact same drum parts every time he played a Rush tune? Hell no. Don't fall into the trap of trying to be Neal Peart, Jon Bonham, Keith Moon, Buddy Rich, "Turtle" Morgan, Bob Portanello, or any other drummer you can name. Listen to them, learn their rhythms, and apply that knowledge the way you feel it needs to be presented. My favorite quote ever is from Keith Moon who said "I'm the best Keith Moon style drummer in the world." NOW....it's up to you to be the best LudwigRocker style drummer in the world.

What he said.

Hey LudwigRocker,

Your right, it's tough being a kid.

Some grownups just don't take kids seriously. Sometimes they just don't remember what it's like to not be treated with the same courtesy and respect that's automatically given to them as an adult. Shame on Mr. Gardener for not remembering that he too was once a 13 year old kid with dreams of being a rock drummer.

So, here's what I'd do if I was in your situation.

1) Research the heck out of three or so electronic kits on the internet. (Sounds like you've already done this step, and have a couple of kits that "fit the bill" both price-wise and have the features that you want/like.)

2) Save up all the money that you need to buy the most expensive e-kit of the three or so that you've narrowed it down to. Keep in mind that you'll have to pay sales tax on the e-kit that you purchase, and you might need some extra items like cables and such. (If the e-kit doesn't come with all the cables that you need already included.) Have your parents help you figure what your local sales tax rate is for your area in Boston, then they can help you figure out how much extra money you need to have to get what you want.

3) Don't buy anything without trying it out at the store first. You definitely shouldn't have to buy an e-kit first, just to have the opportunity to try it out. (Once again, shame on them for not realizing that you are truly interested in buying an e-kit, and not just wasting their "valuable" time.) Mr. Gardener might not let you try any of the kits that you are interested in now, but the day that you are actually ready to buy one, be sure to tell him (or another salesperson) that you are "there to buy today", and that you are absolutely going to try out any of the kits you are interested in before buying anything.

4) So, when the awesome day arrives that you have saved up enough money to get your new e-kit (plus what ever extras you need), you need to make a plan with one (or both) of your parents to come with you to help make your purchase. They don't have to stand right over you if you don't want them to, but they are there to "have your back", so to say. Make sure to actually get to try out all the different e-kits that you are interested in, and ask any and all questions that you have about each kit, no matter how big or small your questions may seem.

You see, even though you were the one who has worked hard to save up the money that you need, your parents (or another trusted adult) needs to be there with you. Having them there helps to ensure that you (as a paying customer) are treated fairly by the staff at Guitar Center, and not ignored as "just another kid hanging out there". It's unfair, it's unjust, but like you said, "It's tough being a kid".

I hope this helps, and keep on rockin' brother! :)

Last edited:
Hey LudwigRocker,

Your right, it's tough being a kid.

Some grownups just don't take kids seriously. Sometimes they just don't remember what it's like to not be treated with the same courtesy and respect that's automatically given to them as an adult. Shame on Mr. Gardener for not remembering that he too was once a 13 year old kid with dreams of being a rock drummer.

So, here's what I'd do if I was in your situation.

1) Research the heck out of three or so electronic kits on the internet. (Sounds like you've already done this step, and have a couple of kits that "fit the bill" both price-wise and have the features that you want/like.)

2) Save up all the money that you need to buy the most expensive e-kit of the three or so that you've narrowed it down to. Keep in mind that you'll have to pay sales tax on the e-kit that you purchase, and you might need some extra items like cables and such. (If the e-kit doesn't come with all the cables that you need already included.) Have your parents help you figure what your local sales tax rate is for your area in Boston, then they can help you figure out how much extra money you need to have to get what you want.

3) Don't buy anything without trying it out at the store first. You definitely shouldn't have to buy an e-kit first, just to have the opportunity to try it out. (Once again, shame on them for not realizing that you are truly interested in buying an e-kit, and not just wasting their "valuable" time.) Mr. Gardener might not let you try any of the kits that you are interested in now, but the day that you are actually ready to buy one, be sure to tell him (or another salesperson) that you are "there to buy today", and that you are absolutely going to try out any of the kits you are interested in before buying anything.

4) So, when the awesome day arrives that you have saved up enough money to get your new e-kit (plus what ever extras you need), you need to make a plan with one (or both) of your parents to come with you to help make your purchase. They don't have to stand right over you if you don't want them to, but they are there to "have your back", so to say. Make sure to actually get to try out all the different e-kits that you are interested in, and ask any and all questions that you have about each kit, no matter how big or small your questions may seem.

You see, even though you were the one who has worked hard to save up the money that you need, your parents (or another trusted adult) needs to be there with you. Having them there helps to ensure that you (as a paying customer) are treated fairly by the staff at Guitar Center, and not ignored as "just another kid hanging out there". It's unfair, it unjust, but like you said "It's tough being a kid".

I hope this helps, and keep on rockin' brother! :)

Thank You Blk Diamond. Are you a Kiss fan too? One of my fav songs is Black Diamond byKiss. It was the third song I learned to play all the way through!
If you don't know it this is a good version imho

Thank You Blk Diamond. Are you a Kiss fan too? One of my fav songs is Black Diamond byKiss. It was the third song I learned to play all the way through!
If you don't know it this is a good version imho

Yep LudwigRocker, I'm a big KISS fan.

That's one of my favorite KISS songs too, and where I got my "User Name" from.
I have had the pleasure of going to see KISS many times in concert, since the late 80's.
I was a little too young to see them in the 70's, but by the late 80's I was old enough to go to concerts with my friends.

As a fan, if you get the chance to see them live (after this pandemic has passed) I highly recommend it! :)

Thank you Black Diamond! I had tickets with my dad for this year but it is cacellned. My fav Kiss drummer is either Peter Cris or Eric Carr. I like all the others too but they are my favorites because my second fav KISS song is LOVE IT LOUD!!!!!!!!

This guy works at the Guitar Center across the street from Berklee College of Music? I'm guessing he's suffering from severe insecurity syndrome since every drummer coming out of there beats him out of every gig he has tried to get.

Look up the managers name....probably the original drummer from that band! Or just some other failed musician with an opinion?

Back