BEST PAISTE CYMBALS FOR HEAVY ROCK/ATMOSPHERIC METAL

Badlarry

Hi friends,

So I'm in a heavy rock/punk band looking to get some new cymbals, and I need help deciding what's right for my sound.

I love the sound of 2002s, was pretty close to just buying them but then I joined an atmospheric melodic techy emotional band that needs those good shimmering high ends. Those 2002s seem much better suited to rock but lack that washy shimmer I need. What should I do? I love the sound of 602MEs; still got the 2002 crispiness but with a brighter shimmer that can cut through those loud metal guitars, but they're too expensive for my musician-ass wallet. I think the sound of the Giant Beat range is top notch, but I heard they break easily and I'm a hard hitter. I need something that fits between punk/hard rock and progressive atmospheric melo metal that's durable and roughly the same budget as 2002...

Thoughts?????

Last edited:
Try some Rudes, thin crashes should work well. Honestly I would buy the Giant Beats if that's what sounds good to you, thinner cymbals vibrate more so they won't break as easily.
Cheers for the response,
I like rudes but they seem a bit too thick. I might be wrong, I've only watched videos. The ride looks like it takes a lot to crash correct me if I'm wrong. Giant beat has some good crashes, I prefer the ride and hats of 2002.

I use GBs and play some heavy music. But, I'd probably opt for 2002s if you hit hard. I prefer the sound of GBs but sometimes I get a little nervous about beating the crap out of them, LOL!

Are you sure that the 2002s won't work? They're amazing cymbals with huge shimmer and overtones.

aren't they sort of like Zildjian A's? They can really go in any situation...

I am not real familiar with Paiste details since I am a Zildjian guy . (though I would like a 22" Rude Ride in honor of Nicko and Rick Allen)

aren't they sort of like Zildjian A's? They can really go in any situation...

I am not real familiar with Paiste details since I am a Zildjian guy . (though I would like a 22" Rude Ride in honor of Nicko and Rick Allen)

The 2002s are similar to Zildjian A and A Customs in some ways but I find them even more expressive and rich sounding.

The thing with 2002s is that they have a fairly clear fundamental note which is surrounded by a nearly infinite number of harmonics. This makes them very, very musical and well suited for many things.

I've been having a great deal of fun with mine lately by using those harmonics to support and accompany the music that's being played, more or less matching the pitches of the cymbals to the chords being played. I use the 18" for the high stuff, the 19" for the middle and the 20" for the deeper, darker stuff. It's a really neat effect when it works which is 99% of the time. Kind of a "Do-Re-Mi" thing with cymbals.

Now, that might be cymbal playing 101 but it's different somehow with the 2002s. All cymbals produce harmonics but they really stand out with the 2002s. You'll know it when you hear it.

I'd go 2002, they're made in weights that cover all situations.

The only exception I'd make is Rude Hats and China. Rude hats are very similar to New Beats in weight and from personal experience the Rude hats are very versatile. The Rude China is the cleanest trashy cymbal. I still have my 20" Rude China

I use GBs and play some heavy music. But, I'd probably opt for 2002s if you hit hard. I prefer the sound of GBs but sometimes I get a little nervous about beating the crap out of them, LOL!
the giant beats are pretty loud with moderate strikes, im not sure why anyone would need to bash them that hard unless its to show off , its not going to get that much louder

the Rude crash/rides is what i recommend for the op

Back