Drummerworld forum mood/climate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well there is a social aspect of the forum and a resource aspect of forum-maybe they get mixed to much. I'd like to quantify that actually. It would be nice on all the "Question threads" that we attach a link to a thread we keep accounting of our success. So the OP answers a simple questionnaire was the forum helpful, etc. Because I see the Forum as a great resource to with a great wealth of knowledge and experience and I'd like to quantify that-because DW is like Wikipedia in being the go to place for Drummers and percussionist-ranked number one by Alexa. Thinking about that makes me want to take a more serious attitude when questions arise actually.

To me, there's more good than bad on this forum. There are expectations of maturity that aren't found in other places. At least one other online drumming forum is packed with inexperience and I can't even bring myself to lurk let alone contribute.

I do find myself feeling somewhat irritated with some members here and there, but I'm sure I'm guilty of annoying others myself (aka boomers aka MrInsanePolack ...kidding). I know I'm probably one of less accomplished and less skilled members here, but I try to contribute where I can.

It's kind of weird to be meta about how we interact and/or perceive each other. Personally, I prefer anonymity, but at the same time I feel compelled to "take the mask off" so to speak at times like these.

I do find myself feeling somewhat irritated with some members here and there, but I'm sure I'm guilty of annoying others myself (aka boomers aka MrInsanePolack ...kidding)

Im not annoyed. It's pretty symbiotic, you call me boomer I call you dumbass. It's all good. If I was a boomer or you were a dumbass it would be different.

As with the rest of the world, there are those out there and here, who don't know how to act or be polite. There ego is such that they always have to be correct in every statement made. And when an altenate opinion os offered it is their trigger to name call and become hostile. That's when members need to notify a mod to oversee the situation and make decisions on a resolution. Do not argue with these disrupters as thats what they are looking for. They probably found this forum accidentally, haven't read the rules, probably never will, and won't abide by them if they did read them. I would only ask that those drummers who play professionally, or teach be a little more gentle with their replies, as opposed to stating "I have been playing/teaching professionally for 30 years, and you are wrong" Not good. We need you, respect your opinion , but only when presented as an adult. Thank you.

I've seen a trend in some sites (YouTube, Facebook, others) a little bit here since I recently joined.. Some individuals have to prove they know more/are better than the rest of us. some of them resort to insults and negativity...I used to mess with them because it was really easy to get them triggered, I have not nor will I ever do that here regardless of how I feel about a comment or response, I read the rules and I intend to respect them.
If I ever seem to not be doing that Admins please correct me.
I love drums and all drum related talk, I don't see why people need to be uncivilized when expressing their opinion, and offering help. If I disagree with a statement I usually have the factual information to support my claim. If it is an opinion, (Clean vs dirty cymbals) then I state my opinion and supporting argument but don't ignore other opinions and supportive arguments. Nobody is the end all be all on anything. In the wise words of Mr Myagi: "There will always be someone better than you".

I would agree that this forum is super friendly compared to most. And Talkbass... And the mountain bike forum I go on is also usually cool too.

I go on a BMX forum that is mostly 12-25 year olds, and it is 80% screen agers being "lit" and everyone is trolling everyone else, and making (poor) videos trying to "out thug" each other, and then they just slam each other. There are about 10 of us old timers, and a few young'ns who are more mature, who actually talk about legit stuff...like how to do tricks; bike builds etc. It actually becomes a sad, comical commentary on the young people honestly...sometimes like watching a car wreck...

and sports forums to me are the worst worst worst!! Talk about the lowest of the low social media types...

but I have just learned to ignore the trash...not even hitting the ignore button, but you can tell in the first 10 words whether it is going to be a legit post or not...sort of like finding good music. The first 15 seconds will let you know usually

I would agree that this forum is super friendly compared to most. And Talkbass... And the mountain bike forum I go on is also usually cool too.

I go on a BMX forum that is mostly 12-25 year olds, and it is 80% screen agers being "lit" and everyone is trolling everyone else, and making (poor) videos trying to "out thug" each other, and then they just slam each other. There are about 10 of us old timers, and a few young'ns who are more mature, who actually talk about legit stuff...like how to do tricks; bike builds etc. It actually becomes a sad, comical commentary on the young people honestly...sometimes like watching a car wreck...

and sports forums to me are the worst worst worst!! Talk about the lowest of the low social media types...

but I have just learned to ignore the trash...not even hitting the ignore button, but you can tell in the first 10 words whether it is going to be a legit post or not...sort of like finding good music. The first 15 seconds will let you know usually

My uncle is an old school "extreme" mountain biker going back to like the early 80's and deals with alot of that as well. He simply let's the kids play for a few minutes then silently blows past them with a smile on his face.

Wow just found the ignore function-I've been wondering WTH you people been talking about...

In the time I've been here, there were only two times I've been tempted to use 'ignore', but didn't do it either time.
One was from the recent thread referred to here.

Some things that might be relevant to that thread:
Let it go - it's over and done with.
There's one in every crowd.
It only takes one bad apple to ruin the bunch.
Those who can do - those who can't.....
Laughing at someone is completely different than laughing with someone.

and many other cliches and wise old sayings: http://www.wiseoldsayings.com/arrogance-quotes/

Last edited:
I would like to give an alternate but respectful view on using 'ignore'.

It is simple to drop comments just before an expected reply so that it looks to others that you are saying something you are not.

This kind of personality disorder driven activity, aka Trolling, can only be noticed if the troll is not ignored...and can look like you, the one being trolled, is the instigator.

FORUM CIVILITY IS POSSIBLE WITH THIS ONE WEIRD TRICK!!!!1!!!

Respect.

If you can disagree and or argue while still being respectful, there really is no problem. That means no name calling or any poor-spirited, bad-intention commentary directed at any member here. Even if they said something you don't like.

Side note, I find it extremely weird that people need a button to ignore someone. If I don't care what someone says I just don't read it or react to it. Physically not seeing it doesn't really register as anything helpful to me, and might even make me look a little silly if I repeat or don't know what someone I've "ignored" has said in a thread I'm participating in. Just make the choice not to feed the troll and the troll is impotent.

Just once I'd love to read a long rant on this forum that has exactly ZERO political commentary.

I can dream, can't I?....
:D Well, the sentence in question was more about someone in the national spotlight behaving in that manner, and empowering others into believing they can replicate it without repercussions (no pun intended). The fact that it was during a couple of elections is simply a matter of those being the events during which the behavior was brought into the public consciousness to a much higher level. The affiliated party doesn't matter; I'd have thought the same if the asshat in question belonged to the other side. Also, I'm registered independent. So, it wasn't really political commentary.

FORUM CIVILITY IS POSSIBLE WITH THIS ONE WEIRD TRICK!!!!1!!!

Respect.

If you can disagree and or argue while still being respectful, there really is no problem. That means no name calling or any poor-spirited, bad-intention commentary directed at any member here. Even if they said something you don't like.

Side note, I find it extremely weird that people need a button to ignore someone. If I don't care what someone says I just don't read it or react to it. Physically not seeing it doesn't really register as anything helpful to me, and might even make me look a little silly if I repeat or don't know what someone I've "ignored" has said in a thread I'm participating in. Just make the choice not to feed the troll and the troll is impotent.

pretty much this...just like we did BEFORE the interwebs....

My uncle is an old school "extreme" mountain biker going back to like the early 80's and deals with alot of that as well. He simply let's the kids play for a few minutes then silently blows past them with a smile on his face.

Sweet!!! back then, I was on a BMX probably doing the same thing...thins have definitely toned down, but I probably still do some stuff that normal 50 year olds shouldn't, or won't do...

.....Side note, I find it extremely weird that people need a button to ignore someone. If I don't care what someone says I just don't read it or react to it. Physically not seeing it doesn't really register as anything helpful to me, and might even make me look a little silly if I repeat or don't know what someone I've "ignored" has said in a thread I'm participating in. Just make the choice not to feed the troll and the troll is impotent.

It will probably never happen at Drummerworld, but you may someday frequent a forum where someone consistently posts
things that most people agree are obnoxious, repulsive, demeaning, and offensive, to the point where you don't even want
to see their name, much less read any of their posts. The 'ignore' function can make that place tolerable again.

I'm pretty new here, and I think the place looks pretty good...but, I have no previous experience for comparison.

I'm hoping to be here a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back