Ludwig NEUSONIC FAB DIGITAL BLACK OYSTER SE

....orrrrr "digital" representing "data expressed as 0s and 1s", which is how the vast majority of music has been recorded and released for the past 40 years, regardless of quantization.

Unless you listen to music on vinyl that was recorded on tape and mastered from that tape, or you're attending a performance that uses no tracks or loops... all of the music you hear is digitized. Everything. Literally, every bit of it!

Bermuda

That's just the name of the finish, however it's not a digitized Oyster Black. It originated elsewhere, and they decided that it resembles what Oyster Black might look like if digitized. If Ludwig hadn't named it, I'm pretty sure the aficionados would start calling it that anyway, just as the did with the later oyster finishes which are now universally know as "bowling ball".

Bermuda

Agreed. The finish is divisive, but I think it’s interesting. I’m sure Ludwig just used the “oyster” moniker as an easy way to tie it into their brand history.

I've got mine now and am experimenting with different batters. Evans Reso7 (basically their coated Diplomat) is my reso of choice. Batter is TBD, but I suspect it will be the UV1, or UV2 (which I love on my Club Date SE kit!) I started with G12 clear batters, but I know there are better choices.

Note: I installed the tom mount plate, my preference for my in-town kits.

Obligatory pool pic:

_jbsNeu.jpg

Honestly I don't hate the finish, but I can't really look at it for too long either.

Same here.

This could be the "cilantro" of drum finishes.

I've got mine now and am experimenting with different batters. Evans Reso7 (basically their coated Diplomat) is my reso of choice. Batter is TBD, but I suspect it will be the UV1, or UV2 (which I love on my Club Date SE kit!) I started with G12 clear batters, but I know there are better choices.

Obligatory pool pic:

View attachment 90928

I can see that working in a music video - shot right there by the pool, for that matter.

Bermuda, you made reference to this being an in-town kit. Are you going to go with the same wrap for your tour kit? I'm curious how that finish will come across from a distance?

When I look at it, I get the unsettling feeling that what I'm seeing in real life is pixelated and out of focus and it feels un-natural and sterile to me.

I have a real aversion to it.

Which is bizarre to me.

Seeing that finish in a real life setting makes me like it even more. It has a very cool "8-bit" vibe to it that's a different kind retro, but it's really starting to grow on me.

Obligatory pool pic:

View attachment 90928
I like (sort of) the look in your picture better than the stock photo. By adding the tom mount, yours is probably the first ever "custom" in that finish.

Bermuda, you made reference to this being an in-town kit. Are you going to go with the same wrap for your tour kit? I'm curious how that finish will come across from a distance?

That's my intention, to take this one (or a fresh one) on tour next year. Hard to say about how the finish will translate, but someone mentioned elsewhere that they thought the stripes were too wide, which I think will help it look good from afar. Except for my cymbals, everything will be very monochrome, lots of silver, black & grey. I think it's a cool, modern look. As I said, I won't really be able to see the kit sitting behind it, the finish is strictly for the audience.

Bermuda

Seeing that finish in a real life setting makes me like it even more. It has a very cool "8-bit" vibe to it that's a different kind retro, but it's really starting to grow on me.

I looked at the prototype for a day or two, not quite sure about it, and then I really started to love it. :)

I like (sort of) the look in your picture better than the stock photo. By adding the tom mount, yours is probably the first ever "custom" in that finish.

Perhaps, and if all goes as planned, I will have additional sizes with the finish, even though they're only offering it on this 22/13/16 configuration.

Membership has its privileges. :)

Bermuda

Props to Ludwig for finishing the inside of the bass drum hoops.

That's a nice touch, I know other companies had done that first. Uli Salazar probably came up with that, and is bringing them up-to-speed on some things.

Bermuda

Personally, I like it very much, and I think other colors would only improve it.

Back