Two legged Hi Hat stands

ericgtr

It looks like a drunk weeble wobble on steroids when riding it heel up with my left foot. Anyone else use hi hats with a two-legged stand? Mine's a DW 3000. I'm thinking about replacing it, can't seem to keep it stable.

Re: Two Legged Hi Hat Stand - 8th Notes At 120+ BPM

I've had that trouble more often than not on a 2-leg, but I know it can be done (somehow). Still, I'll keep my 3-leg stand. Never have to even think about stability.

Re: Two Legged Hi Hat Stand - 8th Notes At 120+ BPM

I find that the only cause of instability on my DW 9000 two-legged stand is when the legs aren't at the correct height compared to the footboard (the third point of the tripod). Try experimenting a bit with yours. The 3000 & 9000 have a very similar construction there.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll likely just go with a three legged stand from here on out just to be on the safe side.

On another note, I get why this thread was moved by not why they edited the title?

I have a PDP HH802 and I have no issues with it---my studio has thick, padded carpet, and stability has never been a problem---if you set the legs right! I will never go back to 3 legs with double pedals.

I've used a 2 leg DW5000 for 15+ years and have zero complaints. Never had an issue with it not being stable. If the legs and footboard are setup properly it should be rock solid

Resurrecting this thread:

I'm looking for a moderately lightweight 2 legged HH stand that has a foldable footboard. I've seen a couple that I like, but to collapse the footboard, you practically have to dissemble somewhat. The Griffin stand has popped up in searches, is decent priced but haven't seen one in a store anywhere. Anyone has experience with this stand or one they recommend that fits the criteria?

I use a Pacific PDHH920 two legged hi hat stand. I only use it so that I can have a double bass drum pedal sitting next to it. I like it because it's darn solid. I don't get any bouncing or wobbling when I'm riding the hi hat hard. It really does what I need it to do.

I’ve used a Tama lever glide for 15 years and love it. Too heavy for you maybe?

It's light enough at under 12 pounds, the price tag makes me gun shy. I'm trying to stay under $150. I think the Pacific 820 and the C20 are at a local store so I'm going to try and check those out this weekend.

As a side note: I have a 1st-generation Tama Lever Glide 3-leg hi hat stand still going strong on the practice kit - 30+ years old now. :)

I have a Tama Lever Glide HH905D two leg stand. The trick to getting it solid as a rock is to not let it bottom out completely before tightening the legs. Then the tripod effect comes from the two legs and the heel if that makes any sense.

Last edited:
I've used a 2 leg DW5000 for 15+ years and have zero complaints. Never had an issue with it not being stable. If the legs and footboard are setup properly it should be rock solid

That’s been my experience with the 5000, as well. The fixed, solid baseplate makes a big difference.

I use a two leg Speed Cobra. It took a long time to find something that wouldn't sneak away from me. It's very nice. The only problem I have with two leg stands is you can't pull it back with the top of your foot.

I use a two leg Speed Cobra. It took a long time to find something that wouldn't sneak away from me. It's very nice. The only problem I have with two leg stands is you can't pull it back with the top of your foot.
I also have a 2-leg Speed Cobra. The fancy one.

Best. Hi-hat. Stand. Ever.

Last edited:
Back