Brady Drums ... I'm letting my set go

asantono

Hey guys. I'm going to let my Brady Drums go because I'm moving. It'd be awesome for them to go to someone who really appreciates a custom kit made from jarrah wood. Here's the link ebay

Attachments

• IMG_5340.jpg
    IMG_5340.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_5341.jpg
    IMG_5341.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_5344.jpg
    IMG_5344.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_5345.jpg
    IMG_5345.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5346.jpg
    IMG_5346.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5351.jpg
    IMG_5351.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 43
Theres several different makes. At the beginning of the serial number, the make is identified. Here's what I understand the pattern to be:
JB: Jarrah Block
SB: Sheoak Block
JP: Jarrah ply drums

How much could I get for a kidney?
haha I called a few drum stores including the one I bought it from and asked if they've sold any sets since Brady stopped making drums and the prices were in the 6 - 8k range so I figured I'd put it up and take offers. I think Brady went to making very limited runs due to an illness.

It's a shame that Brady is no more. Australia has a knack for making some of the most prized exotic kits out there.

They have some awesome tropical hardwoods to play with, and enough drummers who want to play around with the sounds those woods deliver. We’re just not that lucky here

They have some awesome tropical hardwoods to play with, and enough drummers who want to play around with the sounds those woods deliver. We’re just not that lucky here
I'm assuming their indigenous hardwoods like Jarrah are subject to the same CITES export bans.

Otherwise we'd have DW drums with Jarrah by now.

Jarrah is pretty common actually, and was used for floorboards for most if the 20th century due to its hardness. Many jarrah stave drums are made from old floorboards. I’m not aware of any export bans or restrictions on jarrah.

Jarrah is pretty common actually, and was used for floorboards for most if the 20th century due to its hardness. Many jarrah stave drums are made from old floorboards. I’m not aware of any export bans or restrictions on jarrah.
I suppose in Australia it's quite common, but here in the States it's rare. The simple fact that DW doesn't have Jarrah drums tells me it's hard to export.

I mean, John Good is already down to Almond and Bamboo. If he could've used Jarrah, he would've by now!

Sadly the drum market for high end drums is soft right now. Even more for Boutique brands like your Brady kit. From my experience the magic number for quick sales seems to be less than $2500 . Anything higher will take awhile to sell. Be prepared to wait.

I suppose in Australia it's quite common, but here in the States it's rare. The simple fact that DW doesn't have Jarrah drums tells me it's hard to export.

I mean, John Good is already down to Almond and Bamboo. If he could've used Jarrah, he would've by now!

Jarrah is a common variety of Eucalyptus, not that exotic, and not on the CITES list.
Perhaps John Good didn't want to be a copycat, or simply wants to use trees like almond that need so much water.

Sadly the drum market for high end drums is soft right now. Even more for Boutique brands like your Brady kit. From my experience the magic number for quick sales seems to be less than $2500 . Anything higher will take awhile to sell. Be prepared to wait.

I have noticed this as well, and buyers often ask for complete hardware and cymbals.

I actually had to explain to a guy that the cymbals were worth more than the kit, and he would not believe me...

Good luck on the sale, there is someone out there for that beautiful kit.

He has made kits from Tasmanian Blackwood recently, which is slightly softer, lighter and more patterned than jarrah. According to this Youtube clip he chose the wood because of its appearance rather than the tone:

Jarrah floor boards are common in Australia or other places too? Which companies makes snares out of old floor boards, Brady?

I’m waiting for John Good to make a kit out of bent Formica, tell everyone it’s great, and sell kits for $8k to his followers 😉

Back