Tama LST148 Big Black Steel or Tama DST1465 Soundworks

Cronly

I'm looking for a new snare ( I have a poplar one ) and my local store has lots of tama snares. After some research and due to the budget I decided on these two. Any experience with them? both steel
big black.jpg
soundworks.jpg

I don´t think you can go wrong with a Tama snare.
Never tried the Soundworks but I had the Big Black for a while - it is an excellent snare and much more versatile than you might think. I swapped the stock snares (nothing wrong with them!) for Tama Hi Carbon snares for a crisper sound - turned out great.
I eventually sold it because I play only jazz these days and it´s a bit overkill for that. Warning: You might need a snare stand that goes extra low for a drum that deep (I did anyway).

I used to have a metalwork 14x6,5 . Equivalent of the soundwork.

Great snare for cheap. Top quality shell and HW. I used it with a powercenter head (the stock head is bad quality), and got rid of all the plastic / rubber gaskets and washers to bring back more metal ring.
Nice powerful and cutting sound. Easy to tune.

Last edited:
I’ve tried both at a local shop. Almost left with the soundworks. Terrific value and great sound. Looks sharp too.

In videos, both of these sound really nice.
I'm a little more drawn to the 6.5, but the 8 sounds pretty dang awesome. Looks cool too.
No "wrong" choice in this decision!

Have fun!

Back