what to do with unwanted cymbals?

update - thanks to the useful comments on here I have sold the cracked/unplayable cymbals to a metalsmith who does community work - he will use them for arts and crafts, jewellery making with students etc..

And I also have a buyer for two of my other cymbals which are not that valuable but are perfectly playable.

All the proceeds are going towards the pearl floor tom to bass drum conversion I'm doing :)

Re: what to do with unwanted cymblas?

Also, here in the States, there's a bizarre phenomenon on local marketplace websites/apps where an item listed for a few dollars or listed at an extremely low relative price can fetch more interest and more reliable buyers that the same item listed as "free."

Depending on what you have, I might be interested as well!

I think that with items marked as "free", many potential buyers assume there must be something wrong with the item or else why would someone just give it away? If it has value, then there's nothing wrong with setting a fair price for it.

I had a few cracked Paiste pies, cost about $700 new. I took them to the local metal recycler, told him they were at least 80% copper. I walked away with enough money to buy a 6-pak. The beer helped numb the sting.

Hi all, what do people usually do with unwanted cymbals? I’ve accumulated quite a few cymbals which are either broken or too low in value to get them sold. Categorised as follows:

1) Broken/ cracked, and they didn’t start out as good cymbals either
2) Vintage cymbals, decent condition, no cracks/ keyhole - but relative value is so low no-one is interested when I’ve tried to sell them online
3) Vintage cymbals with small amount of damage/cracks that may be fixable, but the cost to do this would be greater than the value of the cymbal

Ideally I’d like some cash for these but it seems I can’t even give them away! I’m in the UK.
Anyone ever had such a collection, what did you do?

Thanks

My 19 year old son just built himself a cymbal lathe. When he was around 11, I took him to tour the Sabien factory and he's been a cymbal guy ever since (he's a drummer, I'm a keyboard player). In any case, I'd pay for shipping if anyone is willing to send their broken cymbals to us. He's contacted all the local shops here in Baltimore, MD for broken cymbals as well.

Many thanks!
Mike

While they might not sell by themselves, they're good sweetener's when trying to sell other stuff.

Selling a snare for 200 but the guy offers 175? Bring him back up to 200 by saying that you'll throw in a cymbal or two.

When I was selling my A-Customs for ~$500, the buyer tried to talk me down. I ended up throwing in a cheap hard case (that I got for free) and a cymbal clamp for the splash (that I got for free).

Another view, you ask what to do with unwanted cymbals, easy........you give them away to a school or music programme where others will be set on the drumming pathway,

At my house, a busted cymbal would make a great target. It has a built in bullseye and there would be no question as to where the rounds hit. I realize this isn't for everyone, and not everyone lives in a place that this can happen. But in my neck of the woods, this fate seems to befall many a dead item.

Now I wish I had some crap cymbals.

I trade them in for other gear. I am going to do that soon to get some PA gear. Peace and goodwill.

I think that with items marked as "free", many potential buyers assume there must be something wrong with the item or else why would someone just give it away? If it has value, then there's nothing wrong with setting a fair price for it.
We would gladly pay the shipping for any broken cymbals. My son just built himself a cymbal lathe (from scratch) and now he's on the hunt for cymbals to work on. LMK. We are outside of Baltimore, MD.
Thx
Mike

Hi all, what do people usually do with unwanted cymbals? I’ve accumulated quite a few cymbals which are either broken or too low in value to get them sold. Categorised as follows:

2) Vintage cymbals, decent condition, no cracks/ keyhole - but relative value is so low no-one is interested when I’ve tried to sell them online
3) Vintage cymbals with small amount of damage/cracks that may be fixable, but the cost to do this would be greater than the value of the cymbal

Ideally I’d like some cash for these but it seems I can’t even give them away! I’m in the UK.

Thanks

Pay it forward. Go to a school in a low income area and talk to the music teacher. I’m sure they could direct you to a deserving student who would prize anything you had to give.

Thanks
I'd been interested in buying them - DM me please. Thanks! :)

I might go through the broken ones and see if you can put together a combination of them for a clap stack. I also might want a broken one if it has the right kind of ugliness in tone, which I can’t define but I’ll know if when I hear it.

I wouldn't put them on Ebay.
There are many local drum stores that have similar cymbals for beginners to buy. maybe try and trade a few in for a snare batter or something.
Failing that I would give them to a deserving cause, look for a youth centre or local music programme. these people are desperate for playable drums and cymbals.

Go to youtube and type in "what to do with old or cracked cymbals"

I'm sure rdavidr has done some stuff with them.
Right, send them to David Raouf. He'll do something wacky with them.

I gave my broken cymbals away. Or have them remade into shapes like this:

1708273177781.png
I dubbed it ''the spark'', because of its shape and sound (between a china and crash).

But even this cracked over time (this is also why I don’t do anything cymbals with holes again ever).

I only keep what I play. If I don't like a cymbal after purchase 9a rarity for me anyway) its gets sold directly again.

Last edited:
Back