Video of my 18" Paiste Hats

Man, those sound sweet, BL. Beauty.

You broke me. :) I see a set of Paiste 2002, 17" Sound Edge hats in my very near future.

Are they actually made by Paiste as hi hat cymbals or did you just use crash cymbals?

Man, those sound sweet, BL. Beauty.

You broke me. :) I see a set of Paiste 2002, 17" Sound Edge hats in my very near future.

Thanks Stroker - I would also love a pair of those 17" SE's - I have a 15" pair and they rock. Will actually be playing them today - they're packed and ready to be rocked.

Are they actually made by Paiste as hi hat cymbals or did you just use crash cymbals?

Hi Larry - they are 2 crashes paired up.. The top one is a Paiste Giant Beat Multi and the bottom is an old mid-60's Paiste Stambul 65 - the Stambul 65 was the first B8 alloy cymbals that Paiste made and the forerunner to the Giant Beats. The top cymbal is lighter than the bottom by, I think, around 200 - 300g.

Thanks Stroker - I would also love a pair of those 17" SE's - I have a 15" pair and they rock. Will actually be playing them today - they're packed and ready to be rocked.
Right you are, the 15's are sick, so I can't imagine how absurd the SE 17's would be.

Keep on keepin' on, BL! Always a pleasure.

Reactions: Jml
They sound a lot smaller than they are. Like the pitch is a lot higher and brighter than I imagined if that makes sense? They sound awesome, what's the volume like? Do you find that they are a lot louder than other hi hat pairs?

They sound a lot smaller than they are. Like the pitch is a lot higher and brighter than I imagined if that makes sense? They sound awesome, what's the volume like? Do you find that they are a lot louder than other hi hat pairs?

Actually I find them lower in volume than my 15" Paiste 2002 Sound Edge hats - it must be the lower pitch and also the thin top cymbal. I played them again last night and I am really liking the variety of sounds that I can get out of them. They are very versatile except maybe for jazz where you may need a sharper foot chick or heavy rock or metal, where you need more cut and volume. I can actually see these working perfectly in an acoustic folk or singer songwriter kind of set up too because the volume is so controlable. They also respond nicely to stick changes.

I've done a similar thing with my Giant Beat 18 on a 2002 18" Crash. Same thing. More responsive and a little brighter than I would have suspected.

I just bought an 18" GB multi a few days ago... and, then I see this thread. Maybe someone's trying to tell me something? :LOL:

Back