Worship drummer - variety?

PlayTheSong

This question is for the many drummers on this site who listen to Christian music and/or play in church.

I'm looking for music that is outside the Hillsong genre (which I commend, but it's starting to all sound the same to me ). You folks have any favorite bands that play bluegrass, folk, funk or R&B from a Christian perspective? I'm longing for a musical change of pace. I listen to and play a wide variety of music and would like to expand my playlist.

Thanks.

Elevation Worship
Vertical Worship
Vineyard
Brian Doerksen
Casey Corum
Kari Jobe
Chris Falson
Charlie Hall
Matt Redmon
Maranatha Praise Band
Chris Tomlin

Peace and goodwill.

Try this: https://youtu.be/vCJL0hQs5z4?t=30s and then read on....

Not sure if you are only looking for the "latest and greatest" or whether some old school stuff will suffice, but here are some old school favorites of mine...

Almost ANYTHING by Michael Card and Fernando Ortega. Lyrically deep and musically mature.

Older Michael Card stuff (early 80s) suffers from the typical canned keys and edrum production, but is till tremendously challenging theologically. Around 1988 (Present Reality) he really stepped it up and went from pop to classical to celtic and beyond.

Fernando Ortega's music has a great Southwestern vibe and is really down homey while treating the life of Jesus as a wonderful mystery.

Can't recommend the above artists enough.

A few others-

Twila Paris' True North album is a great production and musically interesting. Produced by Charlie Peacock.

Tony Weeks does some cool bluegrass feel hymn adaptations in two albums called the "Baptist Hymnal".

Casting Crowns took their music to a new level with their "Come to the Well" album.

Shane and Shane did a bluegrass EP called "Shane and Shane Bluegrass Sampler"

Worship music is made to be simple so that the widest variety of people can easily sing and worship to it. It ain't prog rock, that's for sure.

In the 1980s I played in a church that performed nothing but material from Don Moen's Hosanna! Music library. Then I moved to a new town and spent about fifteen years playing nothing but Vineyard worship material, and they pumped out two or three discs per year. Lotsa material, but it got routine (lotsa call & response stuff in the beginning). Then a new worship "pastor" came along and it was nothing but Jesus Culture material, great music but we never sounded as good as their recordings.

Around 2008 I was asked to play in a band of "school of rock" teachers for a one-night gig. The material was all my favorite 60s & 70s music. Within a day of practicing to the music, I realized I'd lost a lot of my feel & chops for the music. It was very disappointing. I began to play in bar/club bands in an effort to get back what I lost, eventually playing in several funk bands. As a Christian, why not play in clubs & bars? WWJD? He'd be jamming in the clubs!

I suggest you join Apple Music or Spotify and start by listening to anything that piques your ears. It doesn't have to be Christian material, does it?

I don't know about others, but I find it hard to get a "Christian perspective" from those writing from a non-Christian perspective...

I agree, but I'm just recommending a source of material that will possibly satisfy his drumming spirit.

You folks have any favorite bands that play bluegrass [...] from a Christian perspective?

Bluegrass gospel? Take your pick! There's tons of it out there. Just do a Google search for "bluegrass gospel." It all sounds the same to me, so I can't really suggest anyone.

I guess it depends on how you define "folk." I guess the best suggestion I have is Caedmon's Call (the first album they did). Also, look at the first Glory Revealed album. I absolutely loved that album. So many good tracks on it.

funk or R&B?

I only know of horrible Christian funk bands from the 90s that I'm not going mention here. Possibly look at Kirk Franklin's music. I've heard he's pretty good.

To be honest, I stopped listening to just about all Christian music years ago. I only listen to the songs I have to learn for church. I probably wouldn't listen to any of it if I were not on the worship team. This is one of the few reasons I even STAY on the worship team is that I HAVE to listen to some sort of Christian music. I figure it's good for me.

Thanks for the quick and helpful replies!

I know there's a lot of it out there, but I hoped to avoid wading through all the schlock to find the good stuff, so your suggestions are appreciated - especially Dr. Watson's (Ha!)

I find it almost painful to listen to the local "Christian Radio" station because so much of the music is, well, so much like pablum on other radio stations. It takes a couple of decades for the stuff that's worth preserving to be sifted out, and some of the best stuff never becomes popular.

I'll check out these suggestions.

By the way, I totally agree about the dangers of losing one's good old chops when you stick to only the playlist of the current worship leader.

And no, I have no objections to playing "non-Christian" stuff. As Martin Luther once said, the Christian shoemaker should not display his Christianity by putting little crosses on the shoes, but by making the best shoes he is capable of making. Words of wisdom for Christians in all fields of endeavour, not least the musicians.

Watso, you should be ashamed of yourself!

How could you?

Honestly!

Backstreet Boys indeed...tut tut!

That must have been a slip up. Obviously the Backstreet Boys are basically a Satanic church of sorts. Oh well, 'ain't nothin but a mistake'.

Steve Fee
David Crowder
Chris Tomlin

...those are the only additional ones I can think of at the moment who can have some challenging stuff to replicate.

That must have been a slip up. Obviously the Backstreet Boys are basically a Satanic church of sorts. Oh well, 'ain't nothin but a mistake'.

Oops!

That's my mistake then. I didn't realise they were playing church music.

Neal Morse plays Christian prog. Chris Falson is bluesy. Cyrus Chestnut and Eric Reed are Christians who play jazz. Peace and goodwill.

I also don't care for the majority of modern CCM, but have to play a lot of it in church. Thankfully I have the luxury of playing it the way I like and am not required to mimic the drums from the originals. Same with the other players.

I really recommend Paul Clark. Especially his late 1970s and early 80s albums.
Some of the songs have a unique Jazz/Rock flavor. The closest thing I could compare it to would be something like some of Steely Dan's 70s music. But yet he sounds nothing like them. I know that sounds like I'm contradicting myself.

Here's just one example of that time period. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ5EnBtvtS8

Check out the albums...

"Change in the Wind"
"Hand to the Plow"
"Aim for the Heart"
"Drawn to the Light"

His early and mid 70s albums is more folk oriented, but I think he really shines in the period I just mentioned.

Last edited:
Bethel Worship
Elevation Worship
Jeremy Camp
Toby Mac
Steve Fee
All sons and daughters
Carrolton

I agree Hillsong's stuff is starting to sound the same, sadly most of the stuff coming out across the board is starting to sound the same. I remember being pumped when Jeremy Camp came out with a new album, Fireflight, Casting Crowns etc. and honestly haven't been impressed with any of the new stuff they've released which saddens me a little

Thanks for all the recent replies - this should keep me busy for a while, but I REALLY appreciated personal recommendations.

I have an academic familiarity with the six major Abrahamic religions, including the three that would likely be considered Christian by today's standards.

I've always enjoyed the Folk/Bluegrass infused gospel music that's out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qAZpQllC9w

It has a great energy to it. A polyphonic bliss. Like a party I wish I were invited to.

Back