Recent content by zenstat

1. Z

20" K Custom Dark Ride - "Optimal weight"?

Thanks. The weights are part of a much larger project to document the basics. Since the beginning Avedis Zildian cymbals have been manufactured in a specified number of weight classes and stamped with weight class ink. The weight class ink has mostly gone on older cymbals but it exists right...
  2. Z

20" K Custom Dark Ride - "Optimal weight"?

Here are the official weight specs for the A Avedis series from Zildjian part of this larger document (downloadable pdf): http://black.net.nz/avedis/images/A-Avedis.PDF That Bud Stein weight calculator is years out of date. It isn't accurate for any diameter other than 22". The further you...
  3. Z

Zildjian with upside-down model ink?

As far as weights go, here is yours in context with the other weights I've got for CO stamped cymbals plus some indicative cymbals with 70s stamps. Assume 80s CO. stamp if it doesn't specify on each line. flat ride ex. thin 1875 (70 stamp hollow ink) swish 1875 (70 stamp hollow ink) crash ride...
  4. Z

As far as the upside down model ink which just says "RIDE", here is another example in my archives of a Rock Ride with upside down model ink. Alas no weight for this one. It also has the CO. stamp like yours. 1980s cymbals with upside down model ink are out there but uncommon. I may even have...
  5. Z

Thanks for the weight. Ah, the CO. trademark stamp. Since I last updated my older site I've got a little more info on the years for the CO. stamp and it looks like it was in factory use from 1982 to 1987. What we call the "70s stamp" is now known to also be in use during those years along with...
  6. Z

It happens sometimes but I haven't yet had sufficient evidence to link this to a particular time period. I can tell at a glance that the ink on that one fits the late 1982 - 1992 time period. But that's only because I did the research to get years for the ink changes. ;) The diameter ink was...
  7. Z

Dumb High-Hat Question

Yes to the New Beat tops and Quick Beat tops being built to the same specs. How close your own pairing comes to New Beats depends on the weight ratio. The weight specs for both NB and QB also changed over the decades. Here is some info, but it does need updating since I first wrote it...
  8. Z

Which forums have you stopped visiting/contributing?

I don't do any anti social media. I was on Cymbalholic since maybe 2003. I was a moderator for many years, then an admin and the sole active moderator. I resigned after being trolled by some guy who posted links to far right wing conspiracy sites at least daily which I had to keep tidying up...
  9. Z

AZCO Canada cymbal

A link straight to the Zilco by Azco entry on my site. Azco Cymbals Yes AZCO was the Avedis Zildjian COmpany factory in Canada and it became the Sabian factory after the family split in the early 1980s. The AZCO plant didn't have their own casting room so they worked on blanks which were sent...
  10. Z

Avedis Zildjian with # date stamp and Armand Zildjian

A Zildjian & Cie Vintage first appeared in 2000 (JJ). They were clones of Trans Stamps (late 1940s to early 1950s). Armand challenged his workers to reproduce the Trans Stamp characteristics but using current hammering techniques. The A Zildjian & Cie Vintage series was discontinued in 2007 (JG)...
  11. Z

Avedis Zildjian with # date stamp and Armand Zildjian

A Zildjian cymbals changed to this style in 1994. That one is from 2001. http://www.cymbal.wiki/wiki/Zildjian_Decoding_Serial_Numbers You can ask Zildjian what model batch number 159087 is, or if you figure out how to reduce the file size upload it here and we can probably tell you.
  12. Z

Cymbal blending

The change list I have from Paul Francis is here http://black.net.nz/avedis/a-zil-2013-changes.html although it doesn't mention the Quick Beat changes. The change to New Beats was to the top not the bottom, although a lot of people seem to miss that published detail. I've documented the 2013...
  13. Z

Should I be worried? - New cymbal purchase

Oh. So I was confused about the manufacturer as well. Sorry about that. Yes Meinl Byzance are hand hammered.
  14. Z

Should I be worried? - New cymbal purchase

What series then? I don't know of any Zildjian production series which is hand hammered. There are some one off cymbals which are hand hammered. Paul Francis and one other person hammer the bells on the Kerope series after the cup has been pressed in. But that is hammered by machine with a...
  15. Z

Paiste Stambul black ink dating?

How about a photo or two? Is this just a generic question or is there a specific example you are interested in? If it is for sale and you want to keep the ad a secret send me a private message with the link. From what I know serial numbers in general went on just after the black ink started...