Recent content by zenstat

1. Z

Avedis Zildjian with # date stamp and Armand Zildjian

A Zildjian & Cie Vintage first appeared in 2000 (JJ). They were clones of Trans Stamps (late 1940s to early 1950s). Armand challenged his workers to reproduce the Trans Stamp characteristics but using current hammering techniques. The A Zildjian & Cie Vintage series was discontinued in 2007 (JG)...
  2. Z

Avedis Zildjian with # date stamp and Armand Zildjian

A Zildjian cymbals changed to this style in 1994. That one is from 2001. http://www.cymbal.wiki/wiki/Zildjian_Decoding_Serial_Numbers You can ask Zildjian what model batch number 159087 is, or if you figure out how to reduce the file size upload it here and we can probably tell you.
  3. Z

Cymbal blending

The change list I have from Paul Francis is here http://black.net.nz/avedis/a-zil-2013-changes.html although it doesn't mention the Quick Beat changes. The change to New Beats was to the top not the bottom, although a lot of people seem to miss that published detail. I've documented the 2013...
  4. Z

Should I be worried? - New cymbal purchase

Oh. So I was confused about the manufacturer as well. Sorry about that. Yes Meinl Byzance are hand hammered.
  5. Z

What series then? I don't know of any Zildjian production series which is hand hammered. There are some one off cymbals which are hand hammered. Paul Francis and one other person hammer the bells on the Kerope series after the cup has been pressed in. But that is hammered by machine with a...
  6. Z

Paiste Stambul black ink dating?

How about a photo or two? Is this just a generic question or is there a specific example you are interested in? If it is for sale and you want to keep the ad a secret send me a private message with the link. From what I know serial numbers in general went on just after the black ink started...
  7. Z

Paiste mega bell ride

It would help to tell us what series and production period you are talking about as well. And did you see something which started you on this quest for information...
  8. Z

I'm a little confused by your description so I've annotated a few features on the image. The green circle is a wandering in the lathing as far as I can see. There are a few of those. They are usually because the surface is uneven. The surface is usually uneven because of hammering. The smaller...
  9. Z

Zildjian 14" A Thin Crash Rant

Yes my 14" top and bottom are the same size to within measurement error, and they match up nicely. I also happen to have two 14" UFIP Crashes from what is now the Class Brilliant Series. These come from before the time when the Brilliant Series was separated out so they are labelled Experience...
  10. Z

Going right back to your first post, if you are looking for a Hi Hat top, my favorite pairing is 14" 1960s 732g 14" 1960s 1120g I had the bottom and went looking for a top at the weight I knew (from my New Beats research which shows a 2:3 weight ratio) should work well. 60s 14" cymbals are...
  11. Z

I'll have to put a bit of analysis work in as I don't have a ready answer. I'm still part way through putting together the overview of weight classes for A Zildjian cymbals from 1930 to present. That's a lot of diameters and a lot of decades and I started off with 22". I haven't made it down to...
  12. Z

Yes I've noticed that Sweetwater and some other sellers do seem to have specs which I don't see on the Zildjian web site. I'm not sure if the specs used to be on the public section of the Zildjian site and were removed in some "makeover", or were just in some private area for retailers. There is...
  13. Z

Thank you. That link appeared after I made my initial post which is why I still hadn't seen a 14" Thin Crash with the 2013 ink. Now I have seen a 14" Thin Crash with the 2013 ink. It now looks like an end year of 2006 for the 14" Thin Crash is another example of small errors or omissions in the...
  14. Z

Which series ?

Yes, with the slight exception for prototypes just to be complete. In the plain K series you also won't find the model name MEDIUM RIDE as far as I know. In the K Custom or K Constantinople series you will but the model ink is a different style. But of course with these things never say...
  15. Z

Which series ?

A series and the ink means it was produced in the period 1982 - 1992. The hammering and lathing are consistent with that. It's all here http://black.net.nz/avedis/avedis-by-years.html It might have a CO stamp or a 70s stamp Weight bands and prices for these are here (you want the 80s)...