Recent content by zambizzi

1. zambizzi

Opinions: Gretsch G4164SA Solid Aluminum Snare

I'm trying to pick out a Gretsch snare to go with...a little something new that I have coming soon. :) Any thoughts on this one? Anyone have some decent recordings of one? It seems like a nice drum and by the specs, it should cover anything I need. I won't have the opportunity to try it...
  2. zambizzi

(My Band) Trikata - Corrupt Puppets

Here's our newest effort, played at our last "Fat Wednesday" party at Fatty's Bar, in downtown Boise. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOsD81WZ-YI Camera mic SUCKS, so there isn't much clarity. I might try lining up the audio recording I made during the show, with this video. I hadn't realized...
  3. zambizzi

The Ludwig Curse

I hate posting negative rants about drum brands but enough is enough. I love, love, LOVE the sound of Ludwig drums...but I've finally had it. I bought this kit last year and all seemed fine. Well, not really...the bass drum arrived cracked, but Ludwig replaced it in three weeks and the new...
  4. zambizzi

A Tale of Two Bass Drums

I own two kits...Ludwig Classic Maple...identical finishes and badges. The "small" kit is a 22x18", 16x16", 12x10" setup...the "big" kit is 24x16", 16x16", 13x9". I love 'em both and they both sound incredible. My inner-conflict is choosing which bass drum to stick with. I've been at it for...
  5. zambizzi

Trikata opening for HURT at Knitting Factory - 5/7/2012

I'm sure some of you have heard of HURT, at least? They had a string of hits in the early '00's and just started touring again. We were lucky enough to get the call to open, and we brought our rowdy brand of...whatever it is...and had a BLAST! The crowd really dug it (attendance was around...
  6. zambizzi

See any great shows lately?

If there's a thread out there already, I couldn't find it. Oh well...not like a new one will hurt. See any great shows lately? Include pics, video, etc. if you have it. I caught Galactic at Knotty Pine in Victor, ID on Tuesday night. Corey Glover (Living Colour) was on vocals. It was...
  7. zambizzi

My rock trio "Trikata" throwing down on local cable access

This was WAY too much fun. Sheila is a local legend and she has a lot of local artists on her show. GREAT lady...so funny. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8Tbob4tS1M My snare wires were off at first, so I barfed all over the song until I could get them flipped on. I'm still kicking myself...
  8. zambizzi

"The Like Its" Funk/Soul/R&B Band

Hey all...thought I'd introduce my other project, "The Like Its". We cut a demo on Sunday and here's a couple of the tunes. I think the demo sounds great, other than a lot of low-end seems to be missing. I was bummed that the bass drum was nearly cut out of the mix but overall, they sound...
  9. zambizzi

My Ludwig Family...

...all snug and nestled up, next to the fireplace. What I've got here is two full Classic Maple kits with 100th Anni. badges, and three snares. Here's the run-down. 24x16" bass 22x18" bass 16x16" floor tom(s) (two of them) 13x9" tom 12x10" tom 14x6.5" Black Beauty w/ tubes 14x6.5" LM402...
  10. zambizzi

Trikata "Benefit Bash" - 8-26-11

Here's my crazy-loud rock band, Trikata, performing at a benefit for local schools. Attendance was "OK" for a new, unknown, original band....maybe 60 people. It was our first "real" gig after 6 mo. of writing and rehearsing, so we were pretty stoked and had a great time. Sound was a little...
  11. zambizzi

Trikata - doom rock power trio!

Hey all! Been a while since I've been around these parts. I've been busy with two bands and a recent, significant career change. Here's a video of one of those bands (in rehearsal), as well as a few pics from yesterday's "unveiling party" that we held at my place. It was a great party and a...
  12. zambizzi

Going to the coast (SoCal)

I know we have some SoCal regulars here on DW, so I wanted to ask the locals a few things. I'm planning a family trip to SoCal...the L.A. area...but not sure when is best? I hear spring break is soon (or now?) Would this be a bad time for a visit? We might want to hit Disneyland, but not if...
  13. zambizzi

Mapex Saturn - heads are a tight fit!

Is it the edges? The fact that the shells aren't undersized, like some manufacturers like to make them? I picked up a Saturn kit after selling off a bunch of my extra gear, last week. It's fantastic looking, made extremely well, and seems to sound good. I have to wonder though - am I getting...
  14. zambizzi

Remo Powerstroke Pro

I'm excited to try these, since I'm a big fan of the Powerstroke 3 head. Not very innovative, obviously, since the EMAD has had this for a long time. I never liked the sound of the EMAD, however. http://remo.com/powerstrokepro/ Might I finally be able to remove that small batter-side pillow...
  15. zambizzi

Tinnitus Sufferers: 'Rebooting' brain could ease ringing in ears

I'm not one of them, most fortunately, but I'm very careful to do what I can to prevent it. This might be of interest to anyone suffering from tinnitus. "'Rebooting' brain could ease ringing in ears" http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.f57c40c34c2baca8600a698953d82048.1e1&show_article=1