Recent content by Yoshinya

1. Yoshinya

Sabian's New Logo

Two years later, I still hate the new logo. I bought a pre-pack of AA Medium-Thin 16" and 18" crashes with a 10" AA Splash. I've had all of these before and loved the sound until I destroyed them all with the flawed technique of a youngster. New ones sound pretty much the same as my old ones...
  2. Yoshinya

How do I shorten a hi-hat rod?

Tama has noticed this and now make a shorter hi-hat rod that fits all of their hi-hat stands. All three of their top-end (Iron Cobra, Speed Cobra and Dyna-Sync) hi-hat stands now come with BOTH the long and shorter versions.
  3. Yoshinya

Anybody play the Sabian Sabor Picante hand cymbals?

I've got the 13" AA El Sabor splash and picked up the 16" AA El Sabor crash barely used from an old bandmate. I don't use them often because I'm afraid of cracking them due to the upturned edge. I like them a lot for situations where I want that sparkly top end in a lower volume situation...
  4. Yoshinya

Attention all raw bell dry ride owners...

I own both a AA and HH RBDR. I feel like the AA is dry, shrill and kind of lacking character compared to the AAX, which I wish I would've held out for, but the deal on the AA was too good to pass up.
  5. Yoshinya

Sabian Paragon Ride opinions

Supposedly, there are some 20" RBDRs out there too. I think I'd probably stick with a 21" (I have AA and HH RBDRs in this size) or 22" because I find smaller dry rides just to not have enough presence for what I want from them. Back to the Paragon - I would consider it somewhere in-between the...
  6. Yoshinya

OCDP Custom made Superman 5 piece Drum kit.

Those were introduced when GC bought a controlling stake in OCDP, and honestly, are the best products I've ever seen come out associated with the OCDP brand. The bass drum pedals were/are merely OK, as are the hi-hat stands. The actual hardware on the drums (lugs, hoops, snare throw-offs/butt...
  7. Yoshinya

Dating Sabian signature lines?

That'd be helpful advice, if you typed "Carl Allen" instead. :ROFLMAO: All jokes aside, I don't think they made that past the mid-2000s. An email to Sabian customer service is a great place to start. https://sabian.com/support/
  8. Yoshinya

Your least played snare(s)

A PDP SX Natural Maple w/ Maple Hoops 5.5" x 14". It was on clearance at Best Buy (remember when they briefly were carrying musical instruments in some locations?) for $45. For that price, I couldn't pass it up because I thought, "I always wanted a wooden hooped snare, and it's all maple!"...
  9. Yoshinya

Aquarian Heads Made In Mexico?

Aquarian moved their production facilities down to Mexico back in late 2006/early 2007. Some will argue with me on this, but the first few batches of heads that came out of the Mexico facility were pretty sketchy (quality-wise), so I switched to Evans. A few friends of mine stuck with Aquarian...
  10. Yoshinya

DSS floor tom suspension mount

This is something that might be the biggest problem with the DSS Floor Tom mounts. For this kit, I have Gator/XL Protechtor Elite Air Cases and if I put the drum in the case upside down, without the leg mounts, it fits. The SKB Roto-Xs I have for one of my other kits, there's no way the drums...
  11. Yoshinya

DSS floor tom suspension mount

I've used them on my 14" and 16" Tama Starclassic Maple (formerly) suspended toms for approximately 11 years with little/no problems. One thing I did pretty quickly was replace the feet on the legs with Pearl's R40 Air Suspension Feet. The drum felt and resonated much better after doing so.
  12. Yoshinya

Open Handed Playing

Mike Bordin of Faith No More (and formerly Ozzy Osbourne) has always played open-handed. I think he was the first guy I ever saw play like this (via MTV, around 1990?) and it sort of blew my mind:
  13. Yoshinya

Looking to make a stack that i feel in love with. What cymbal is the one under the ozone?

To me, it looks like a 16" Sabian HH Duo Crash. Last I knew, these were no longer a catalog item and may require a special order. That being said, I would almost never use a pricier cymbal like that paired up with a budget one (like the cracked B8 Pro that's stacked on top of it).
  14. Yoshinya

80’s hard rock snare choice

I'll also throw another hat into the ring and suggest the Tama S.L.P. Big Black Steel. This video from Drum Center of Portsmouth, NH sold me on its value (but I'm a big Tama player anyway).
  15. Yoshinya

Sabian HHX Complex and series revamp

This video's been out since the 9th of September, but worth posting in this thread: