Recent content by yammyfan

1. yammyfan

BEST CHEAP STEEL SNARE

The current Yamaha Stage Custom Steel 14x6.5 is a wicked good snare for the money. 10 lugs, too.
  2. yammyfan

Bad Sounding Drums

If you dislike the way your drums sound, buy a Tune-Bot and fix them.
  3. yammyfan

Gretsch Renown vs USA Custom - worth the £1500+ difference

My comment about 5 lugs was intended for 'Snarebleed'. I quoted his/her post to be clear about that. No offense taken. The important thing is that you're happy with the sound you're getting now. (y)
  4. yammyfan

The OP's observation might be more of a slur than anything. I don't see how it adds value or clarity to the comment. Mine said Taiwan as well - R.O.C. I believe. I don't care for stickers on anything so I took them off. Simple.
  5. yammyfan

Subwoofer Question

Worth noting that you're replying to an 18 month old post made by a user who posted once then disappeared from sight. I always check the date when resurrecting old threads. My two cents...
  6. yammyfan

I think the majority of owners and industry people would disagree with you. The Renowns are notoriously well made and universally praised. Most drummers I have met don't tune anywhere near as well as they think they do. Many of them are dreadful at it, to be frank. I have a hard time taking...
  7. yammyfan

I think the 5 lug design might be throwing you off. Each lug has a greater effect on tuning than it does on a 6 lug drum and the way they interact is exaggerated as well. I use a Tune-Bot and it makes this phenomenon plainly obvious. Additionally, if this is your first really good drum kit you...
  8. yammyfan

A Get Back

Better wood, better hardware and greater attention to detail, essentially.
  9. yammyfan

Mapex Armory tuning problem

Do yourself a huge favour and get a Tune-Bot. They're about a hundred bucks and will transform your kit into a professional sounding rig.
  10. yammyfan

Your best 5 Paiste Cymbals

My best - and only - Paiste cymbals are all 2002s. I bought them for outdoor shows and for the times I wanted clear, bright cymbals. The 15" Sound Edge hi-hats are superb, as is the 24" 2002 ride cymbal. The 18" and 20" crashes are winners too.
  11. yammyfan

BEST AFFORDABLE 'BONHAM' SIZE SHELL KIT

You could probably build a Yamaha Stage Custom Birch kit with a 24" kick, 14" rack tom and 16 and 18 inch floor toms for under $1000 Canadian. Possibly much less. I got a brand new 22-16-12-10 kit with snare for $725 CDN and added the 14" floor tom, 8" rack tom and 13" rack toms later. I think I...
  12. yammyfan

I'm guessing that they went for about $1999 CDN, new. Just a wild guess. EDIT: the review says 769 UK which is $1300 CDN today. Hmmm...
  13. yammyfan

This one is white. Sounds interesting! https://www.kijiji.ca/v-drum-percussion/ottawa/gretsch-catalina-club-john-bonham-style/1525954068?undefined
  14. yammyfan

Are you looking at the kit located in Ottawa? The seller wants $1200 now...
  15. yammyfan

What's your latest purchase?

Incredible kit. The 14" deep kick drum is a bonus and something many of us would love to have.