Recent content by wraub

1. wraub

What's your latest purchase?

As promised, a pic of the one I have- it has a dryness and a pop I really like, and it seems to like a variety of tunings... The throwoff tried to fall apart on me while cleaning, but a PO had set it way too loose, and a nut fell off. Tightened and it feels pretty solid now. So far, it seems a...
  2. wraub

The most beautiful drum shells finishes

I think it may be Tamo Ash... edit- nope, it's burled ash- https://www.cymbalfusion.com/yamaha-phx-4pc-drum-set-gloss-natural-ash/
  3. wraub

Cymbal Recommendations?

Here's a 16 and an 18... I like 'em. :)
  4. wraub

Does buying pre owned bother you?

I recently picked up 2 Zildjians, a 50s and a 60s, for less that I could have paid for one... I got two newer Yamaha snare drums for the price of one, more or less. I'll buy used all day, if it's something I want to try out. No shame in my game... at least, with drums and cymbals. :D
  5. wraub

I buy used all the time, as mentioned above, but I always try to buy it locally and avoid shipping, because you never know what's gonna be in the box.
  6. wraub

Boy, the things you see when you haven't got your gun.

Yeah, Letterman even mentions "Oh, Hiram's playing on this." He was such an amazing talent. I remember meeting Charley Drayton and Hiram Bullock in NYC.... seems like such a long time ago. RIP Mr. Bullock. :(
  7. wraub

Tim "Herb" Alexander

I've been a giant fan of Mr. Alexander's drumming since hearing Suck On This in 1989. Skills to spare and a distinctive polyrythmic voice. Sad to hear of his health issues. Saw Primus a while back on their reunion tour, the Les/Tim/Lar Primus is the best one, imo. Awesome to watch. Some...
  8. wraub

If you had a Drum Shop Credit?

...I think I could have some fun.
  9. wraub

Customizing your kit

Nicely done.
  10. wraub

Customizing your kit

I have modded my basses with chosen parts and stickers where desired (just changed out the pickguard on a bass today), but so far my only mod to my drums is using a bass drum made by a different company from the rest of the drums (I still have the matching one), and using the boom arm top of a...
  11. wraub

I've been flipping used basses and guitars for years, it's a good way to learn about different gear and decide what works for me and what doesn't, relatively cheaply. I've wound up with some good stuff for prices I can both afford and justify. If it weren't for used gear, I probably wouldn't...
  12. wraub

Cymbal Recommendations?

On my bass drum mount I have an 8"splash, it works well there imo. I also have a 17" crash, a 20" crash/ride, 14" hats, and a 22" ride.
  13. wraub

What's In A Name?

My ancestry is well documented, an ancestor did a family history dating from around the mid-1700s up to 1950 or so, iirc. It's kind of a boring read, no sword fights or duels, as I recall.
  14. wraub

The most beautiful drum shells finishes

I have enough experience with gold plated hardware on guitars and basses to have some disdain for it on a drumset, but I will also agree it has some visual appeal. I've come to realize I prefer wood snares with stains rather than wraps, in matte or gloss stain single color finishes in almost...
  15. wraub

What's In A Name?

That does it, I'm changing my name to Senator Lieutenant-General Duke King.