Recent content by Winston_Wolf

1. Winston_Wolf

New "WaFARER" line from INDe Drums

Beautiful kit and a beautiful color. Inde Blue is my favorite of their finishes. But I think Josh needs to make a different size spur for small bass drums. I'm admittedly not a fan of gullwing spurs at all anyway, but those spurs look comically large on that drum.
  2. Winston_Wolf

Restoring my first vintage snare!

Honestly, when you said "quite a bit of pitting" I was expecting a drum with significantly more pitting than that. That actually looks pretty mild from what I can see. There's no reason not to take off all of the hardware and give it a good cleaning and polishing. A mild cleaner should help...
  3. Winston_Wolf

Paiste pst 7. Thin vs Medium crash?

I have a thin and a medium 18" crash. I prefer the sound of the medium. The thin sounds fine, but side-by-side the thin is just lacking a little bit of tone and clarity. I can't say for certain if you'd hear the same thing with the 16", but I think no matter what the medium is going to be the...
  4. Winston_Wolf

Ludwig serial nr.?

They are Classic Maple for sure. Are there no ink stamps inside any of the drums? Those bass drum claws and tom mounting bracket rule out the earlier Classic/Super Classic drums from the mid-80s to mid-90s. Beyond that I'd guess they were made somewhere between 2000 and 2012. It can be a...
  5. Winston_Wolf

Ludwig serial nr.?

Hi Max! I'm assuming these numbers are on large Monroe NC Keystone badges? If so, there is no correlation between serial number and any other build details. If you're looking for when they were made, Ludwig often stamped a date inside the shell, though they're not always present or easily...
  6. Winston_Wolf

Advice on odd pairings for hi-hats

2112 is great, I'm overdue for a visit myself. :) All of my mix and match hats have a bottom hat over a bottom hat, but however I pair them up I still use the lighter of the two as the top. I wouldn't rule out finding a bottom that is still lighter than the marching cymbal. Both of the...
  7. Winston_Wolf

Advice on odd pairings for hi-hats

I think you're on the right track for wanting some orphan cymbals to pair them up with. Finding a 16" used cymbal shouldn't be too hard, since that's such a common size. I might not go too thin on top, but I find thinner hi hats sound "woofy" to me, and I prefer a more precise chick. 14"...
  8. Winston_Wolf

LUDWIG SUPRAPHONIC COB VS ALLUMINIUM

I prefer the sound of a Black Beauty over the Chrome Over Brass. I'm not sure why, but the black nickel just gives a brass snare a little more...something that I don't find in the chrome plated brass drum. But brass vs. aluminum? They're quite different, and I hesitate to say one is "better"...
  9. Winston_Wolf

Gibraltar Stealth Docking Station

I'm a big fan of their Stealth racks, but this thing is a solution looking for a problem and the "solution" is actually worse in every single way I could think of to the problem they're trying to solve. Yikes!
  10. Winston_Wolf

How to be one of the 10 richest drummer at a young age ?

I can confirm this, as I'm both a drummer and a public school teacher. o_O
  11. Winston_Wolf

Large Bass Drums

I totally agree that kit looks like it would be a lot of fun to play.
  12. Winston_Wolf

Mapex Saturn

I agree, it's a Saturn III, and considering that set includes hardware and cymbals I think it's a great deal and should suit your needs well.
  13. Winston_Wolf

Mixing Sabian / Zildjian Cymbals

I have Sabian, Zildjian, Meinl and Paiste cymbals and I have no problem mixing brands up at all. The one thing I usually don't do is mix alloys up too much. In general I like keeping B8's and B20's separate within their own set ups.
  14. Winston_Wolf

Real wood veneers, or engineered?

It's funny to me that the drum industry has a long history of these kinds of information gaps in order to hide certain aspects. Ludwig calling their snares "metal" and never saying they're aluminum for 40-ish years immediately comes to mind. I agree engineered veneers aren't really the...
  15. Winston_Wolf

What should I do with this $100 snare?

Remo makes a clear Ambassador snare side that has no collar. It's intended for marching drums that are typically tensioned high so it takes longer before you bottom out the flesh hoop but it should give you more room to tension the head into those deep snare beds. I've never tried it on a...