Recent content by vtran711

1. V

Am I too old to start drumming?

I got back into it just over a year ago when I turned 50. Go for it! Just have fun and don't over think it. If your heart is in it and your family is supportive (helpful as drums can be noisy) there's nothing to standing in your way. I'm lucky that I found a group of musicians right at the...
  2. V

Should I memorize each solo as I go through Wilcoxon's All American book?

I just started this book myself and really enjoy it for developing my hands. I'm definitely not trying to memorize solos. I'm starting to take interesting phrases that I like and trying it on the kit. That last part is still very tough for me.
  3. V

Wilcoxon solos on the kit

And this
  4. V

I did just recently find this. Looks like he just plays stickings on different surfaces.
  5. V

I've recently started working on Wilcoxon All American Drummer solos and it's a ton of fun. I've read a bunch of threads about it and I hear people talk about using different phrasings from the solos on the kit but haven't figured out different strategies to do that. Would you just take some of...
  6. V

What's better

"The journey is the destination" That's my preference but unfortunately I lose sight of that all the time!
  7. V

Snare to complement my Acrolite

My budget is no more than the cost for a BB and hoping to get that cost down a bit with either going used or waiting for a sale. I'm leaning towards the BB and I haven't heard anyone say the Classic Maple is the way to go if you already have an Acro.
  8. V

Snare to complement my Acrolite

I recently acquired a 14x5 vintage Acro and love it. I've been having fun thinking about the next snare that will be good to complement the Acro. I don't want to own a whole fleet and would really just want 2 snares to cover most situations. I play mostly classic rock in a cover band but who...
  9. V

The Ludwig Acrolite

Both! Seriously they are different enough where you will eventually get both. Go with the one that gets your juices flowing the most. Then later get the other so you’ll have a nice collection of 2 wood and 2 metal snares! I just went through this and was deciding between Acro and Gretsch COB...
  10. V

Warped Hoops

Now I have a much better understanding on what a snare bed is. Thanks guys!
  11. V

Warped Hoops

Ok cool so the snare side is the bed. Unfortunately the batter side does not sit flat either. Not horrible though so it may be something I can live with.
  12. V

Warped Hoops

I read on another forum that what I'm seeing might be the gradual snare bed? The space shown in the pic seems perfect on both sides and is even to the strainer and butt pate so perhaps this is normal?
  13. V

Warped Hoops

OK it's the shell. Is it common for these vintage aluminum shells to not be perfectly flat? Wondering if I returned and bought another one I would see the same thing. By the way, it's not noticeable at first and the shell seems fine but on close inspection I can easily see parts of it do not...
  14. V

Warped Hoops

Thanks for the tips. I will attempt to flatten the hoops before considering returning. I did consider buying new hoops as well but not sure I'm OK with the added cost of my used purchased.
  15. V

Warped Hoops

I recently purchased a vintage Acrolite and really like it but noticed the hoops are warped, both snare and batter side. Placing it on a granite surface I can clearly see it does not sit flat (not even close). I placed my other snare on the same surface and it sits flat. Even though I'm liking...