Recent content by Vintage Old School

1. Vintage Old School

Flippin' dog ate my...

Obviously a case of mistaken identity. Your pooch thought it was a manual for a Ludwig P85 Snare.
  2. Vintage Old School

A couple of rare snare drums

Legend was a top-tier brand launched back in the late eighties by Kaman Music Corp. These included a range of snare drums including thin maple shells, brass shells, phosphor bronze shells and a thick 20-ply maple shell. John Roderick masterminded the new drum line and Joe Montineri was the...
  3. Vintage Old School

Blaemire mystery

Contact the crew at Jenkins-Martin Drums. Provide them with photos and details. http://www.jenkinsmartindrums.com
  4. Vintage Old School

Yolanda Charles MBE!

Very well deserved. Congratulations to Yolanda.
  5. Vintage Old School

Bronze Snare Recommendations

5mm cast bronze shell? I hope your new snare comes with a roadie! Seriously, congrats on getting exactly what you wanted. Please post pictures and a review.
  6. Vintage Old School

What are the first 3 memorable rock concerts you attended?

1977 Maynard Ferguson Band at UNT (Denton, TX). Peter Erskine on Drums. 1980 Jackson Browne at Frank Erwin Center (Austin, TX). Running On Empty Tour featuring The Section, Russ Kunkel on drums. 1983 Rush at Reunion Arena (Dallas, TX). Signals Tour.
  7. Vintage Old School

Eddie Van Halen Dies

Just saw that. A true legend. Godspeed.
  8. Vintage Old School

Are you still playing the same brand drums as your first real set?

Started with a Yamaha kit and stuck with Yamaha kits. Started with Yamaha hardware but switched to DW. Started with Zildjian A's, tried pretty every major brand cymbal over five decades, but ultimately landed with Istanbul Agop cymbals.
  9. Vintage Old School

Honestly I've never been able to locate the specs on the Legend bronze drums. My snare has a thick, seamless phosphor bronze shell. Just for the sake of comparison my fully assembled 4" X 14" snare weighs in at 8.4 pounds. Joe Montineri and John Roderick headed up the Legend series under...
  10. Vintage Old School

I failed to mention the Legend Phosphor Bronze Snare drum (currently discontinued) if you can find a used one. I prefer the sound of the 4" X 14" Phosphor Bronze Legend over the 6-1/2 deep model. Killer snare drum that is a well kept secret.
  11. Vintage Old School

I'm a big fan of bronze snare drums and I spent a good share of time checking out a number of bronze snare drums. I ultimately went with the 6.5" X 14" Joyful Noise Beacon Bronze and couldn't be happier.
  12. Vintage Old School

Drums and the Significant Other

My wife has been extremely supportive and gracious over the years. I'm very fortunate. But family always comes first and we both have had to sacrifice at times over the years . . . and drums were typically the first to go in lieu of other options. I've been supportive of her endeavors as...
  13. Vintage Old School

What about Birch? Who make the best birch kits?

Another vote for Yamaha Recording Customs.
  14. Vintage Old School

Why does my 1990s Yamaha Recording Custom 8x8 YESS tom have a 1980s serial #?

Agreed. Likely it was New Old Stock.
  15. Vintage Old School

The Time I Met Alice Cooper

A brief story about Alice and his wife, Sheryl, visiting Sheryl's parents in Northern California. Her parents pastored a small church that my parents had just started attending. One Sunday morning there was a hubbub in the church auditorium. My parents asked what was going on and one of the...