Recent content by Treverer

1. T

Cleaning Paiste Cymbals - Alternate Methods?

I have the exact same problem, hunting Paiste cleaner and protector for a year now. I found a bottle of each during my stay in Tokyo, but it was incredibly expensive and I wasn't sure if I could get it on the plane (chemicals...). I talked to Paiste directly twice now and they told it will come...
  2. T

Minneapolis St Paul drum shop

After the community helped me to find excellent drum shops in Tokyo, what about the twin cities? Any recommendations? I'd like to see a nice cymbal and snare drum selection. Thanks in advance!
  3. T

15" Hi Hats Shootout - 10 Hats, 5 Manufacturers

Dark Energy are just crazy, they can do it all.
  4. T

Tama Starphonic Limited Edition "Meinl"

Maybe I should elaborate: There are basically no reviews or sound demos for these drums and since I'm currently in the market for both types of snares (and I have reasonable offers for both of them) I try to collect some data ;)
  5. T

Tama Starphonic Limited Edition "Meinl"

Hello Anyone of you who had the chance to play the 2 limited edition Tama Starphonic Snares for Meinl's 60th anniversary? How does the cymbal bronze snare compare to the other metal drums from the same series? And how close is the wooden one to the regular maple Starphonic? Thanks in advance!
  6. T

Paiste...just got bit-hard....

Fellow Paiste player here and I just want to add that Paiste is the only company I know of where you can trust the soundfiles on their page. And they have different sounds for ALL their cymbals.
  7. T

Yamaha Live Custom Hybrid vs. Tama Starclassic Walnut/Birch

Of course not, I tried (and still do) to as many sets as possible. But all other kits I liked as much as those two were much more expensive (SQ2 Beech for example).
  8. T

WOW! Just WOW! Thank you very much for your answer! This is one of the nicest things anybody has done to me in a public forum ever! I will use the information as best as I can to make my decision. And I guess a hardware thread isn't a bad idea either ;)
  9. T

Picking a new snare drum

Be careful, you could get infected with usefulness and practicability ;)
  10. T

According to the catalogue in front of me, the 5 piece is as well ;)
  11. T

Thank you for this extensive answer! And you mention a point I never considered: virgin bass drum! While I like the Yamaha mounts, a virgin BD would be nice indeed...
  12. T

To be honest, I like this "overengineered" vibe in all the things I do with a passion, and as I said earlier, I heard both kits in person (under less than ideal circumstances unfortunately) and I liked them both very much. But I get your point here, these gimmicks are not everyone's cup of tea...
  13. T

Thank you for your answer! As I am obviously not a native speaker, what do you mean by "brash" here? That you have to play it hard and loud to make it sound good?
  14. T

Excellent point, I forgot to mention that: While the Tama is cheaper, here in Germany the difference seems to be much smaller. I can get the Yamaha for close to 3000 Euros, the Tama for around 2300. Do you think the difference reflects actual build quality etc.? During my limited time with...
  15. T

Let me start by saying that I like both of these shells a lot, from the tone to their looks. As I can't really decide between these two kits, I'm hoping for some "objective" reasons/opinions two purchase one or the other (also, I can't afford this kind of investment right now, I have some time...