Recent content by Traditional Grip

1. Traditional Grip

Putting down the sticks/brushes for a while

I'm at the end of my drumming rope. I decided to make a guest post on the "Jazz ruined my life" blog. You can read it here, it's currently the newest submission, titled: "I liked playing jazz drums so much I had to give them up." http://jazzruinedmylife-blog.tumblr.com/ TL;DR - Jazz changed...
  2. Traditional Grip

Why do small Bass Drums that use risers still come equipped with wooden hoops?

I am shopping around for a kit with a small (16" bass Drum). Almost all kits with a Bass Drum that small use a riser for the pedal to clamp on to. So why are wooden hoops and claws needed to hold on the head, if they're not for the pedal to clamp on to? All the hoops do at that point is force...
  3. Traditional Grip

New Zildjian Uptown Ride Model

There has been quite a high premium and demand for the long discontinued Zildjian 18" Breakbeat ride cymbal lately. When one of those suckers goes up for sale they are immediately snatched up. Happens to me every time I try to buy one. I finally got one for a good price, though, and could not be...
  4. Traditional Grip

Drumming related out of body experiences

I had an experience the other day that I wanted to share here and see if anybody could relate to it. Not quite sure what to make of it, so hopefully you guys can relate/help me! I was playing at a jazz jam on Tuesday night. Band leader told me the set list and I thought I was going to play...
  5. Traditional Grip

Protecting your brushes!

I recently bought 2 sets of non-retractable brushes: Mike Balter Louie Bellson model Vater Wire Tap Brush Essentially the same model, just different companies and I got a great deal on both. However, I was really disappointing when neither one came in a plastic Tube! They simply came in a very...
  6. Traditional Grip

Sticks - The most underrated category of drum gear

After spending countless hours researching, buying/selling/trading and testing out new gear. I made it a resolution to stop. It has served to be a distraction from my practicing, and I think band mates thought I was going nuts for never bringing the exact same gear out every time. I put an end...
  7. Traditional Grip

Help with very old (Possibly 1900) Brass/Bronze 15" x 2.5" Snare Drum

I have posted more pictures on The Vintage Drum Forum on this topic: http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=60643 Here's what I would like to know: Does anyone know the age or maker? How can I tell if it's brass or copper? (My hand smells like pennies after I mess with it) What...
  8. Traditional Grip

Take a gamble on Sabian SR2 ??

100% Cymbalholic here looking to curb my addiction for getting good deals on cymbals! Starting to think that Sabian SR2's might be my next attempt at finding something perfect. There are great deals out there for a Sabian SR2 Thin. A 20" B20 Thin cymbal from one of the "Big 4" for $150 seems...
  9. Traditional Grip

What the stick does after you hit the drum.

This is something that's on my mind alot. I thought I'd try to describe instead of making a crappy video (Which I can if this makes so sense). I watch lots of drum videos, mostly of drummers much more skilled in their genre than I will ever be. Some drummers are hard hitters. I notice that when...
  10. Traditional Grip

Switching Gear DURING a set.

This doesn't seem to be a common move, but does anyone here switch around their gear in between songs? I only like my ride cymbal in on place, however, I pretty much only use ride cymbals (As rides and crashes). I like my cymbals to be flat just above snare level, over my floor tom. I generally...
  11. Traditional Grip

My new all-time favorite

Well here it is. The cymbal I have been chasing for over a year now. After so many last-minute outbids, cancelled orders and too-slow to buy, I got one. That's a right a Zildjian Remix Breakbeat ride! I usually search once or twice a week to see if anyone has one for sale and I found one at...
  12. Traditional Grip

Joe Porcaro "Diamond Tip" Sticks

I bought a pair of 8AN Joe Porcaro Diamond Tip drumsticks a very long time ago from a bargain bin at Columbus Percussion. I ask myself every time I play them why I didn't buy more! I just got an unlathed ride, and I swear, it's the only pair of sticks that makes it sound good. I never gig...
  13. Traditional Grip

Info on a Sabian 18" Extra Heavy Ride cymbal.

https://reverb.com/item/1235138-sabian-extra-heavy-ride-cymbal-18-inch-made-in-cananda?gclid=Cj0KEQjwwoLHBRDD0beVheu3lt0BEiQAvU4CKrLQ-0QfmnLkvt-bQXl4iZzyIR4c-9gQMexbtktQhKYaAi0I8P8HAQ&pla=1 Came across this gem on Reverb and cannot find any information about it. Does anyone here know the...
  14. Traditional Grip

Post an embarrassing Drum-Related Story

This one happened to me exactly a year ago and I wanted to share it with some fellow drummers. I've never had anything happen like a stick bouncing off a drum into my face during a gig (At least not yet...) or really anything too embarrassing happen during a gig. But anyways, here's what I got...
  15. Traditional Grip

How many brands of drum gear have YOU owned?

I thought this would be a fun little Drummer World game: Simply list every brand of Drums, Cymbals, Sticks, and Hardware you have owned and name your favorite one. (No need for least-favorites please) My list is pretty long, so hear we go: Drums: CB700 Leedy Ludwig Leedy and Ludwig...