Recent content by TomInHouston1969

1. TomInHouston1969

Anyone here play a 13", 14", 16" setup?

Meaning tune the 3 toms to the notes of 3 blind mice?
  2. TomInHouston1969

Anyone here play a 13", 14", 16" setup?

Hey there, all. I have a drum kit that has 13, 14, and 16 inch toms and a 24 inch bass. It's a fiberglass (Pearl) kit. I've been experimenting quite a lot to get a great sounding kit with different head combinations and different tunings. I'm a little stuck on trying to find good rough pitch...
  3. TomInHouston1969

Help In Identifying This Snare

That certainly looks to be the case... thanks!! The guy also went nuts and lined the inside of the shell with acrylic or fiberglass. I gotta admit though, it's a great sounding snare!
  4. TomInHouston1969

I bought this snare recently and the guy I bought it from labeled it a Pearl snare even though there's no label or badge on it. I will include a picture, but here's the pertinent info: It's a 14" x 6.5" metal snare drum with 8 lugs. The finish is that black with gold-like flecks in it similar to...
  5. TomInHouston1969

I bought this snare recently and the guy I bought it from labeled it a Pearl snare even though there's no label or badge on it. I will include a picture, but here's the pertinent info: It's a 14" x 6.5" metal snare drum with 8 lugs. The finish is that black with gold-like flecks in it similar to...
  6. TomInHouston1969

Drum head pairing question for a Pearl fiberglass kit

So do you agree with Harry in replacing the hardware on the Pearls with the RIMS suspension and Yamaha tom mount Thanks, man. I'll look into what I can do hardware-wise to make setting up a little more user friendly.
  7. TomInHouston1969

So do you agree with Harry in replacing the hardware on the Pearls with the RIMS suspension and Yamaha tom mount?
  8. TomInHouston1969

Yep...I was trying to lessen the time spent experimenting a little as well as lessen having to spend so much money on heads to experiment with. But I guess it's kind of unavoidable.
  9. TomInHouston1969

I may have to take up your advice on the RIMS mounting system due to this vintage type one being a real bummer to work with. The other drum kits I own are a Premier Genista birch kit, a Mapex Pro-M maple kit, and a Mapex Venus series kit. I'm not sure what the Venus series is made from...
  10. TomInHouston1969

Hey there, Unc Yes, you're right. Actually, I discovered a positive thing from the reality of what you said. Had I not gone through this process, I would have believed the reviews on these forums and other areas on the net that the pinstripes sound thuddy and terrible. I discovered that's not...
  11. TomInHouston1969

Thanks. But in reality, they're kinda a pain in the ass lol. As cool as vintage drums are, the drum manufacturers sure have gotten way better at designing their hardware to be more user-friendly. This kit takes awhile to set up due to how difficult it is to make adjustments. It's like a tedious...
  12. TomInHouston1969

These are the pics of the kit taken by the guy I bought them from....
  13. TomInHouston1969

Ahh..I get what you're saying. Meaning that I shouldn't necessarily come to a conclusion about how my drums are sounding after doing these tunings until I can hear how they sound in the context of how they sound in the mix of other instruments being played as well? Yeah.. I've been kinda...
  14. TomInHouston1969

Ok cool.. thanks for those tips especially regarding positioning of the muffling devices on the drum. I guess I'm just going to start experimenting that way with my lower tensioned snares 👍😉
  15. TomInHouston1969

I hear what you're saying. For some reason, I just rarely choose to hit the very center of the snare drum. It always sounds like a total dead spot to me. I like it to have a slight intonation at least... some level of urgency. I like for it to have character.. like someone talking with some kind...