Recent content by toddbishop

1. toddbishop

swung 6/8 to 5/8 metric modulation?

The way you have it set up the 1 of the 6 = the 2 of the 5. If you change the rhythm in 5 to: 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 5 &, they can both have the 1 in the same place, and the rhythms will sound similar. Or take it down further and think of them as 1 2 3 and 1 2 3 4 5. You could also try 1 2 3 4 5 6 7...
  2. toddbishop

NEED TIPS: Learning Drums By Ear

1. What's the time signature? 2. What's the style? 3. You're done, start playing. 4. Oh try to catch any stops and figures and anything odd that comes up.
  3. toddbishop

Real Gretsch drums or no?

Maybe it's Gretsch Blackhawk, which are garbage. No matter what brand is on it, it's obviously generic Taiwan junk. Snare drum looks like an old Rogers student drum? Not particularly good or valuable that I'm aware of. I would want no part of any of that.
  4. toddbishop

Dominant side (way) slower than non-dominant with singles

What sort of help were you hoping to get on the forum? Are you just making an announcement about a defective limb, in your judgment, or what.
  5. toddbishop

Great art comes from great pain

Mostly it comes from being really good at making art, and being allowed to get good at making art, and from not being stopped from making art. Pain is just the thing that makes someone like Van Gogh shoot himself to death-- which stopped him from making anything, forever.
  6. toddbishop

Teaching drums: tips and such, from a teacher's perspective

Not even complicated lessons, easy lessons-- you have to be very creative in how you communicate, and very perceptive of how a student is not getting it-- because everyone has a different way of not getting it. Maybe read this, too...
  7. toddbishop

Positive effects of negative feedback

IDK, I wouldn't file anything I do in teaching as "negative criticism", or any kind of criticism. It's more a question of "here's what needs work, so let's do that." There's nothing negative or positive about it. Or it's mainly positive, because, hooray, we're going to get better at something...
  8. toddbishop

Negative effects of positive feedback.

It's hard to do, but at a certain point you have to get over yourself and let people enjoy your playing, and accept their compliments gracefully. It's OK to derive some confidence from the fact that people like your playing. But you don't base your entire judgment of your abilities on that. Or...
  9. toddbishop

Frank Zappa transcription project

Gotta share my Zappa transcriptions from my site now. My favorite is Rubber Shirt-- drums/bass duet, drums are in 11/8, bass is an entirely different track in another time signature: I did both versions of Flower Punk-- the original with Jimmy Carl Black, and the one where they replaced him...
  10. toddbishop

List of 100+ jazz standards

Oh, I would question your actual background in jazz then. Those tunes are standard jazz literature and they get played all the time, in all settings where jazz musicians play and perform.
  11. toddbishop

This is my favorite thing I've heard in a long time.
  12. toddbishop

Those get called on jazz gigs all the time, or on casuals with jazz musicians. Certainly all jazz musicians know them. Except In The Mood-- which you do have to play sometimes, on bad gigs...
  13. toddbishop

Let's add some more, what the hell-- we're not even getting that deep into it, many or most of these get played a lot. Depending on who you hang around.... Confirmation Donna Lee Cheryl Now's the Time Cottontail I Got It Bad Move Milestones (old) Along Came Betty In Your Own Sweet Way These...
  14. toddbishop

If you listen to all of the normal records and play the tunes a couple of times you pick up on the arrangement elements you're supposed to catch. Fear and status-seeking are kind of his brand, so don't worry about that too much. 99% of the time you can just play whatever they call without a...
  15. toddbishop

Jazz drumming: thinking vs feeling

Somebody just shared this on another forum-- it runs it down pretty thoroughly. I know this saxophonist from Portland-- quite a personality.