Recent content by toddbishop

1. toddbishop

Your'e first 2 or 3 lesson books

Some band method book, Stick Control, Basic Drumming by Joel Rothman, Garwood Whaley's intermediate snare drum book. Didn't get into Syncopation till a few years later.
  2. toddbishop

Is the James Gadson 16th note shuffle suitable for blues?

Just follow your ears-- if it sounds right to you, play it.
  3. toddbishop

The Best Rudimental Study Book (If you want to swing 'em).

For me the core jazz items in Rudimental Swing Solos are Rolling In Rhythm, Swinging Accents, Roughing The Single Drag, Study In Accents, Modern Flam Accents. All pure Philly Joe stuff. I learned it all, but it didn't really change my playing— I just don't solo with rudimental stuff on the...
  4. toddbishop

Drummer for Dirty Harry soundtrack?

I think it's Guerin on the major funky stuff-- I haven't listened to that whole album in awhile, I never figured out who else is on what on it. Thank you, you're very kind!
  5. toddbishop

"Jazz" crash cymbals

blaaah no man, people will think I'm doing a tribute to that other youtuber! emphasis on tuber
  6. toddbishop

"Jazz" crash cymbals

Basically all Cymbal & Gong crashes ride really well. Here are a bunch of 17s-- after about 4:10 is my own cymbal (on the far right), that's pretty thin and rides great: I haven't played a lot of other companies' crashes lately-- I did play an Agop not long ago that was kind of useless for...
  7. toddbishop

“Playing with albums is the only thing you ever need to practice”

Not watching a video to have a conversation, but I agree with everything you said. To do what? I'd beware of basing too much of what you do on video headlines. Like I guarantee he did more than that. Playing along with music is really good, playing music with people is the whole point of...
  8. toddbishop

and: transcription of that here
  9. toddbishop

Bunker, John Guerin, and Mel Lewis are all credited on it. I transcribed part of it in 2014, which I believe is played by Guerin.
  10. toddbishop

Quintuplet comping whilst swinging

It's all I do man, thank you. But you can tell how wrong it is from the big feel shift between that and the triplets-- like in a situation where everyone's playing a normal swing feel, the quintuplets just cancel the whole contract groovewise. You'd have to use it sparingly at most.
  11. toddbishop

Hey I played through that stuff I posted above:
  12. toddbishop

Probably Dan Weiss too. Almost certainly.
  13. toddbishop

Hahahahaha, here we go. I personally don't want to listen to the kind of player who would make this a way of life-- perfecting it like it's drum corps you'd just sound disconnected from reality. But maybe there's a little bit to learn about finessing normal stuff.
  14. toddbishop

I tried playing some 8th note quintuplets in a jazz setting around 1992, and didn't try again after that. If I do anything 5-note based now it's in groupings of five 8th notes or 5 16ths-- RLRLL. Or a mutation of some normal 4/4 thing-- messed with rhythmically. Seems worth exploring though...
  15. toddbishop

How does one even beginning practicing playing time the way someone like Brian Blade does?

Update, I elaborated on the following a little bit in a blog post. It's easier to make sense of what you're hearing if you follow the chart-- through the solo and everything. He's not just playing a lot of stuff, he's playing the form. That would be your first concern playing this tune, is to...