toddbishop's latest activity

• toddbishop
    toddbishop reacted to Alain Rieder's post in the thread The Ruff with Like Like.
    There's more than one rudimental tradition in Europe...
  • toddbishop
    toddbishop replied to the thread The Ruff.
    And how is that different from the experience of an American who is authority on percussion in European music? To be clear, I never...
  • toddbishop
    What European tradition?
  • toddbishop
    toddbishop reacted to jeffwj's post in the thread The Ruff with Like Like.
    I was watching a video from Claus. If I remember correctly, he explained that the pataflafla was originally played with two single...
  • toddbishop
    Here’s another one, from Cirone’s Orchestral Techniques of the Standard Percussion Instruments— I keep turning up my old school books at...
    • IMG_5469.jpeg
  • toddbishop
    toddbishop reacted to jeffwj's post in the thread The Ruff with Like Like.
    That's the way I was taught to interpret drags - consistent with the roll interpretation. So my default is open (2 grace note) drags for...
  • toddbishop
    toddbishop reacted to eddypierce's post in the thread The Ruff with Like Like.
    Yeah, Porcaro's book is all about applying rudiments to the drum kit (either in a soloistic/fill fashion, or in timekeeping).
  • toddbishop
    @toddbishop Thanks for the songs and the site link. I’ll work through your posts.
  • toddbishop
    That's real interesting, I didn't know about that lineage. I really don't know anything about any of them, except I have Porcaro's book...
  • toddbishop
    toddbishop reacted to eddypierce's post in the thread The Ruff with Like Like.
    Right. For whatever it's worth, Joe Porcaro studied with Al Lepak, who studied with Henry Adler (who taught, in his Buddy Rich rudiments...
  • toddbishop
    Oh, they're written that way in the Buddy Rich book, too. To me that's just a rhythm, given a rudimental name. Like I said there are...
    • ruffs_buddy-rich-book.png
  • toddbishop
    This is a good overview:
  • toddbishop
    That's just unusual, I've never seen that, except on instruments that don't normally use double strokes-- timpani, mallets, etc. Yes...
  • toddbishop
    More grist, from Percussion for Musicians, by Robert McCormick, edited by Tony Cirone-- notable because most other sources that include...
    • ruffs-percussion-for-musicians.png
  • toddbishop
    That's going to be most drum solos, any time they take a full chorus. Start with your favorite records and go from there, look up...
Back