Recent content by TK-421

1. TK-421

Are my toms out of tune or is this just how they sound?

Oh boy, where do I begin? First of all, you’re right to assume your toms sound like crap—because they do. Finger tight is WAY too loose for any drum, so you can consider your toms not at all tuned. To get them tuned up and sounding good, first you need to get each head in tune with itself. In...
  2. TK-421

Drum gods set list....

So you're saying it's NOT going to be like this?
  3. TK-421

Drum gods set list....

Why on earth would you want to do this at a biker bar???? I couldn't think of a worse place to host such an event.
  4. TK-421

Tell us about your 15 minutes of fame that Andy Warhol promised us

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, when I was stationed on the original Death Star, some camera crew shows up one day claiming to be filming a "documentary" and asked if I wouldn't mind being in it. I said sure, and next thing you know I get lured onto some piece of junk space ship where...
  5. TK-421

Gretsch Renown for Jazz?

For once, a new member asks for advice on a kit — and actually buys it! Usually when this happens, we'll all debate the pros and cons of the kit(s) in question, meanwhile the OP disappears and we never hear from him/her again. Congrats!!! That's a PERFECT kit for jazz, and I'm sure you'll be...
  6. TK-421

Gretsch Renown for Jazz?

Yes, the Renowns are absolutely fantastic for jazz. I have an older Renown bop kit with die cast hoops, and it sounds very much like a USA Custom at higher tunings. I haven’t played a newer Renown kit with 302 hoops at higher tunings, but I imagine they will also sound great.
  7. TK-421

Bass drum wants to lose virginity

Yeah, it looks like the tom post placement on those 18" USAs you linked to match the placement on my Renown. So apparently that's where they're putting it these days for 14" deep bass drums.
  8. TK-421

That bass drum is a Renown, so the claws are different than USA Customs.
  9. TK-421

Apparently Gretsch isn't very consistent in this regard. My 14" deep x18" bass drum has the tom post pretty much centered with the reso-side lugs. Which means @fess you can probably just go with whatever feels right to you.
  10. TK-421

Protection Racket AAA

It sounds like they’re oversizing the cases to accommodate bulky RIMS mounts. Even though YESS mounts are significantly less bulky, I would still be doubtful that your 10” Yamaha tom would fit in the 8x8 case. With an internal diameter of 11”, that’s only 1” greater than your shell diameter...
  11. TK-421

Drum gear you don't like the looks of but you like the sound of it

Peavey Radial drums looked horrible, but I played a couple of those kits back in the day and they actually sounded really good. Very resonant with a clear, cutting tone. But man, those looks… 🤮
  12. TK-421

Double Bass Legend Tommy Aldridge | The Drum Department 🥁 Ep.10

Since Tommy doesn’t play much in that Drumeo video, I thought I’d add this. Some backstory: back around 2004 or so, I went to NAMM with a good friend who is also a drummer, and scored some tickets to Yamaha Groove Night. Tommy Aldridge was one of the drummers on the bill, and when his turn came...
  13. TK-421

For those of you with foreign spouses...

Reminds me of this old Far Side cartoon.
  14. TK-421

Gretsch Brooklyn Question

Yes you definitely could. But I would make sure you prefer that sound over the stock 302 hoops before spending an additional $300+. I’ve played RN2s several times, and I’ve always felt that despite sounding really good, they seemed to lack something my older Renowns have. But I don’t know how...
  15. TK-421

Gretsch Brooklyn Question

I love all Gretsch kits from the Renowns and up, and any of them will definitely do the job well. But I’ll be honest, I don’t like the newer RN2 Renowns as much as my older Renowns with die cast hoops. If you can find an older die cast Renown kit in the sizes you want and in good condition, that...