Recent content by TK-421

1. TK-421

How many of you are self-taught?

I took lessons from day 1, starting when I was 11. Originally from a kid up the street from me who was a couple years older and had been playing for about a year. He gave me an old rubber practice pad, a pair of sticks and a chart of rudiments, and taught me a few basics. About a month or two...
  2. TK-421

Chasing sound - enjoyable or miserable?

I think there are two things to consider in the OP. 1) Chasing tone and 2) whether or not you’re happy with your current gear. I‘m very happy with pretty much all of my gear, but I’m constantly on the hunt for something that catches my ear in a different or better way. But that doesn’t mean I...
  3. TK-421

I’ve gone and done it. No more suspended floor toms!

Ah. I thought you hated beer kegs but liked E.T.'s spaceship.
  4. TK-421

I’ve gone and done it. No more suspended floor toms!

Nice. As the saying goes, Viva la Floor Tom Legs! (or something like that) Or is it Death to Hanging Floor Toms!
  5. TK-421

Will a very small port in a bass drum reso help w batter head flutter?

Not sure if 2-3" will be enough to alleviate the flutter, but porting in general will take care of that. I prefer a 4" off-center port at about the 4:00 position. It feels great and sounds great too, as the smallish hole off to the side allows most of the head to resonate from the beater strike...
  6. TK-421

K Custom Special Dry Ride

I literally just bought one of these 3 days ago. To be clear, what I bought (used off Craigslist) is one of the original 21" K Custom Special Dry Rides. Not the 2017 reissue, which I don't like at all. The video you posted is of the original series (like mine), which I think is one of the best...
  7. TK-421

Hacked?

You mean I wasn't supposed to be an internet pirate and hack the site? Lame. ~TK-Arrrrgh21 (like a pirate would say it)
  8. TK-421

Tama has heard our feedback and toned it down with this new finish

Now if we can just pump up those black stripes a little... A little bit more... Maybe just a little more... Perfect!
  9. TK-421

All Things Must Pass

I’ve seen it. Great documentary, but sad indeed. Though I suppose they’re still thriving in Japan (but under different ownership if I remember correctly).
  10. TK-421

Anyone care to guess what this actually is?

Sure, that 2nd pic has a center hole. But I’m not convinced it’s related in any way to the first pic. I mean, just look at the top side of this “thing” (I now refuse to call it a cymbal). Definitely no hole there. And no bell. Yet the 2nd pic does have a hole and maybe even a bell. Just what is...
  11. TK-421

Is it just me, or does it look like the cymbal in question (or whatever it is) is missing a center hole? That’s why I’ve been wondering if it’s even a cymbal. Though it could be a flat ride—if it had a center hole. In either case, I’m pretty certain it isn’t a K Custom Dark Ride, as described.
  12. TK-421

Ooh, it DOES look like that. Except it would need two holes for the mounting rope.
  13. TK-421

What I’m seeing in the first photo: ...is one of these. Albeit maybe a bit more polished.
  14. TK-421

Yes, it looks like a flat bell. But it only looks like it’s maybe 10 or 12 inches in diameter, which is way too small to be a ride. Though admittedly, it’s rather difficult to tell.
  15. TK-421

Part of me wants to order it just to see what the hell it actually is. I could have it shipped to my local GC so I could open it there and return it on the spot.