Recent content by The Shepherd

1. The Shepherd

Metal appreciation thread

They'd play this on the Pepsi Power Hour hosted by JD Roberts (now a reporter for FOX News) when I was a kid. Eric Carr was a beast and if there was one metal song that made me want to play the drums, this was it. Too bad he died so early. RIP
  2. The Shepherd

Are sparkles disappearing?

Any of the colours from the old cars, rocket ships or motorcycles that I rode at the carnival in the 70's would be just fine for me on a drum kit. I prefer the rootbeer brown with big flakes.
  3. The Shepherd

Noob Question: How Long to Wait Before Upgrading Cymbals

A set of drums can be made to sound better with some quality skins and tuning them properly. There's not much you can do with crappy sounding cymbals. Do some homework then "buy once, cry once" and get a set of cymbals that will make you smile. :)
  4. The Shepherd

New drummer, will this set up be good?

Great choice on the drums and cymbals.
  5. The Shepherd

What's your latest purchase?

Keekee our Shepherd is checking out what showed up on the porch for Daddy today. Ohhh happy day!!!!!
  6. The Shepherd

Why use expensive, good sounding cymbals?

Different strokes for different folks. What someone wants to do with their gear and money is not up to me.
  7. The Shepherd

What are you listening to right now?

Canadiana 80's rock. Hell yeah, crank it up!!
  8. The Shepherd

Crank this one up!!!
  9. The Shepherd

Drumming and martial arts

Another thing that is similar between drumming and karate, changing up your routine is key to learning new techniques. Our sensei has been actively been putting together different block / strike combinations that we don't regularly see or do in any katas. It makes you think and sometimes do...
  10. The Shepherd

Why do all martial arts discussions end up going the "my dad can beat up your dad" way? Can we discuss the merits of martial arts instead of waving our man parts at each other proclaiming which is supposedly deadlier?
  11. The Shepherd

The most underrated guitarist ever. This is melt your face off territory.
  12. The Shepherd

Big Band Music

After reading your post, I'm sure you'd be familiar with this other "Big Band" leader that I spent time watching on CKCO.
  13. The Shepherd

Big Band Music

My childhood, watching Lawrence Welk with my grandma.
  14. The Shepherd

Shotokan karate I have found a few things that are similar between the two, 1 - They are both harder to do slowly, people have natural tempos. 2 - They are both about muscle memory. If you think about what you're doing too much you fall apart. 3 - You never do a kata or play a song the same...