Recent content by The Scorpio

1. The Scorpio

STP Singer Auditions: Please check out my friend!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFKHyGZX3VA Hello friends! I know this isn't strictly drum related, and I hope the post doesn't get pulled down. Stone Temple Pilots is currently having an open audition for a new singer. My friend Russ Skinner would be a great fit for the band, so last weekend...
  2. The Scorpio

Recommendations for re-cutting bearing edges.

I love my old 60's Ludwig kit, but the bearing edges need work. There are dips and flat spots, which makes them difficult to tune at times. Taking some extra time to seat the heads really well has helped a lot, but they definitely need to be re-cut (or filled in? is that possible?) I would...
  3. The Scorpio

15", 17", and 19" Crashes

I'm not sure why but I've been gravitating toward odd size crashes. They just sound so great! Seems like regardless of the brand or series, I always find myself picking out the odd sizes over the more traditional 16", 18", and 20" crashes. Any one else a fan? Kyle
  4. The Scorpio

Zero Head Tension for Snare batter

For live gigs, I've been tuning my snare batter side completely loose. I mean zero tension, and it's been working out quite well. The snare drum is much quieter and it doesn't bleed into the vocal mics nearly as much, which has made my guitarist/engineers job way easier. The change in sound and...
  5. The Scorpio

My band covering Southside Shuffle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEqueZG00vQ It's been a while since I posted, but here's a video from a few years back of my band performing live in Tallahasee, Florida. It's a cover of Southside Shuffle by J. Geils band. I hope you enjoy!
  6. The Scorpio

Long time no see!

Hey everybody! It's been quite a long time since I've posted here in the forum, and I just wanted to check in to say hello and see how you all are doing! I've been quite busy the past 3 years. I found my dream girl, got married, and we are building a little life together. She's a bassist (quite...
  7. The Scorpio

Tuning in a dead room.

Hello all! It's been a while since I've posted, but I ran into an interesting situation recently and I am looking forward to hearing your feed back. Here's the situation: a few weeks back I played a gig in the absolute most sonically dead room I've ever encountered in 16 years of gigging. All...
  8. The Scorpio

Bonham-Style Solo

Here's my solo from my last Jainway gig. As you'll see it's pretty much all Bonham licks, but I still had fun with it! WARNING: I drop a few expletives towards the end. I didn't know this was being filmed and it was at the end of our set so my tongue was a little bit on the loose side. Sorry...
  9. The Scorpio

The Cigarette Trick

I bought the Jeff Ocheltree Trust Your Ears DVD a few years back, and during his discussion with Steve Smith, Ocheltree talked about his Cigarette trick. This is for removing dents from drumheads. Basically you take a lit cigarette and melt the dent in a drumhead. I do it gently and never hold...
  10. The Scorpio

C and C Drums Company Changes?

Hello all! I have been loving the look and sound of C and C custom drums for a few years now, and when I do purchase a new kit, I intend to purchase a set from them. However, I checked their website yesterday, and it seems is though the "custom" aspect of the company is either gone or not...
  11. The Scorpio

Riding the Snare

I've been trying to play what I call snare rides. What I mean is where I'm playing 8ths as unaccented notes with my right hand, and two and four accented with my left. Like the verse groove on Motley Crue's "Kickstart my Heart." I'm having a sort of trampoline effect, like if two people are...
  12. The Scorpio

Fall back heroes.

We've had a ton of "who's your favorite drummer" or "who's your biggest influence" threads, and I like to think of this as an extension or addendum to those threads. When you're in a clutch. When you are coming out of verse two and you know you want to play a fill but your mind and limbs...
  13. The Scorpio

Buying my first vintage kit.

Hello all. My local music store has for sale a 1965 Ludwig Champagne Sparkle drum kit. 12" rack tom, 14" floor tom, and a 20" kick drum. There's also a brass Pearl piccolo snare thrown in the mix but I really do not care about that one at all. From a quick look around on the internet, I'm...
  14. The Scorpio

Lyrical drumming

We all know that as drummers, locking in with the rhythm of the bass player is important, and we also tend to lock in with the guitarist quite a bit. I've never heard it talked about too much, but isn't it also important to lock in with the singer? I find that my phrasing and fill placement...
  15. The Scorpio

Your Captain Speaking (My new band)

Here's a quick live clip of my new band, Your Captain Speaking. All critiques and comments are welcome! -Kyle https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=266935736742759